Is Rush Metal?

The Cat 3

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some Rush is VERY metal. Hemispheres is f***ing METAL, Sabbath balls to the wall metal. Especially Prelude.

I don't consider them NWOBHM Metal. Just classic metal. And only their 70's stuff. And possibly VT and add CA to that mix.

I wouldn't listen to a Justin Bieber song if you paid me.

I own all 20 studio albums.

But since I don't think Rush is "metal," that makes me a Bieber fan?

angry.gif

When I think metal, I think incoherent screaming and dark, angry lyrics, nothing like Neil's writing and Geddy's singing.

As a former metalhead, I think Rush is quite "metal" compared to other prog rock bands I've heard. I never got into Pink Floyd or Yes and that's why I've been ignorant about Rush for so long, because I had no interest to dig deeper to that kind of music.

Some examples of things Rush shares with metal music:

-big, heavy sound

-individualistic attitude, integrity as the highest value

-"art as expression"; not preaching political messages, getting girls, money or such things

That's what I liked about metal and also like about Rush. So to me Rush is "metal" in that positive sense. Because in no other genre you can find those features. But it's still metal as an adjective, not the ultimate definition, so both sides are right in their own way smile.gif

QUOTE (BriGuy @ Jun 24 2012, 10:09 AM)
I wouldn't listen to a Justin Bieber song if you paid me.

I own all 20 studio albums.

But since I don't think Rush is "metal," that makes me a Bieber fan?

angry.gif

When I think metal, I think incoherent screaming and dark, angry lyrics, nothing like Neil's writing and Geddy's singing.

You don't know what METAL is! Like most METAL haters you've never really listened to it! Except for RUSH of course! 1022.gif You're a METAL monger and you don't even know it! You're a METAL freak in denial! And anymore anti-metal comments and claims will only confirm you're in denial!

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 24 2012, 01:50 PM)
QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Jun 24 2012, 11:29 AM)
I love metal...Rush ain't metal, though.

Oh they're METAL alright...

biggrin.gif 1022.gif

Maybe...Metal for me is Maiden, Priest, Metallica through 87, Iced Earth...Rush is much more directional than those bands. Don't get me wrong...I love metal. Oh, Sabbath and Purple too. I guess Rush has there metal moments.

They're PRECIOUS METAL.......!!!!

http://www.duanestorey.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/gollum-and-the-precious.jpg