I just thought of something

Steel Rat

Neil peart joins Rush in July, 1974. Their line-up hasn't changed to this day, June, 2012 (38 years). Counterparts was released in 1993 (19 years ago).

That means Counterparts was released in the middle of Rush's career. wacko.gif

QUOTE (Steel Rat @ Jun 21 2012, 01:41 AM)
Neil peart joins Rush in July, 1974. Their line-up hasn't changed to this day, June, 2012 (38 years). Counterparts was released in 1993 (19 years ago).

And it still kind of seems like a newish album...

ohmy.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 21 2012, 01:59 AM)

ohmy.gif

Yeah! That's my point! wacko.gif

QUOTE (Steel Rat @ Jun 21 2012, 02:04 AM)

ohmy.gif

And I've just about been able to keep the jewel case in good condition and I had to as you can't change it because of the screw/nut insignia combination that works in conjunction with the booklet... angry.gif

I had this thought a few weeks ago! Realized that Counterparts, from 1993, is now smack in the middle of Rush's career. Which seems weird, because '93 was around the time I first got into them, and I do still think of Counterparts as a newer album....

And how's this:

# of albums in first half of career: 15 (including Counterparts)

average of an album every 0.9 years

# of albums in second half of career: 5 (including Feedback)

average of an album every 2.8 years

I wonder what it was like anticipating a new Rush album every year! The smorgasbord of Rush must have been quite awesome!

Which makes me go a bit further and think what it must have been like anticipating a new Beatles album, say. Living with the times must have been interesting!

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 21 2012, 02:59 AM)

ohmy.gif

Me too...That is crazy.

Without question I consider it a newer album.

Edited by OGr8imL84AD8inF8sBlackSedan

QUOTE (Mika @ Jun 21 2012, 04:22 AM)
I wonder what it was like anticipating a new Rush album every year! The smorgasbord of Rush must have been quite awesome!

Back in the day, it was an annual ritual - going to the record store to get the New Album!

And some artists, like Elton John, cranked out new albums every 9 months or so..... ohmy.gif

Yeah, I do this kind of stuff all the time.

For example, Rush's career spans more than half the time since the end of the Great Depression.

2112 has been around half the time since the Fall of France in WWII.

Signals has been around for more than half of the history of rock and roll.

Look at the Stones after 20 plus years... they only cranked those releases out every 5 years or so and seemed to tour more .... Rush may be headed on the same course. Damn i saw Voodoo Lounge tour almost 20 years ago and i thought the Stones were older than dirt back then... In retrospect thats about where Rush is now.

There are as many tracks on T4E, VT, S&A, and CA as there are on Rush, Fly By Night, Caress of Steel, 2112, A Farewell to Kings, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves, and Moving Pictures combined.

(49, by the way)

Edit: I counted wrong. There were 50 songs on the first 8 studio albums, from "Finding My Way" to "Vital Signs."

Edited by Chronos

QUOTE (tel @ Jun 21 2012, 05:33 AM)
counterparts was rush's last great album sad.gif

Really now? I say that's either POW or HYF....just IMO

i like Counterparts up to Between Sun and Moon...Then nothing else happens for me besides Leave that Thing Alone.

Mick

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 21 2012, 02:09 AM)
QUOTE (Steel Rat @ Jun 21 2012, 02:04 AM)

ohmy.gif

And I've just about been able to keep the jewel case in good condition and I had to as you can't change it because of the screw/nut insignia combination that works in conjunction with the booklet... angry.gif

Could you provide a photo of what you're referring to?

QUOTE (Chronos @ Jun 23 2012, 09:06 PM)
Another weird thing to consider:

There are 165 non-Feedback studio tracks. So the middle one would be number 83, which is...Tai Shan!

Actually it'd be 82.5, which would be the middle of Turn the Page. At the middle of TTP (2:27) the chorus just happens to begin. They knew at that time that they were disengaging and turning the page to the second half of their career 1287.gif

Really I just didn't want the middle song to be Tai Shan

QUOTE (The Vigilante @ Jun 21 2012, 11:47 PM)
Look at the Stones after 20 plus years... they only cranked those releases out every 5 years or so and seemed to tour more .... Rush may be headed on the same course. Damn i saw Voodoo Lounge tour almost 20 years ago and i thought the Stones were older than dirt back then... In retrospect thats about where Rush is now.

Geddy is probably about a decade older NOW than Mick was when he was doing the Voodoo Lounge tour.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jun 24 2012, 01:21 AM)

Geddy is probably about a decade older NOW than Mick was when he was doing the Voodoo Lounge tour.

I think Rush should do an album about voodoo next...

ph34r.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 24 2012, 03:29 PM)

ph34r.gif

Imagine all the Geddy Lee voodoo dolls they could sell !

http://www.yesterdaystrashart.com/dolls_voodoo_md.jpg

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jun 24 2012, 01:35 AM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 24 2012, 03:29 PM)

ph34r.gif

Imagine all the Geddy Lee voodoo dolls they could sell !

Imagine how many pins you could get in the Alex doll!

ohmy.gif biggrin.gif