unpopular opinions?

beherit

Pink Floyd is a rip off band and overrated.

i have other unpopular opinions, but I am in no mood to be taken to the shed for a flogging today. Hard at work getting my unpopular squatter neighbors evicted ASAP. If I succeed, it might make me the neighborhood heroine. I will be popular.

Speaking of unpopular, am I the only one......

They just plain suck.

Love you Lorraine!

Isn't it wonderful when we actually agree on about something?

:wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :hug2:

Defo :hug2:! I have actually spent money on this band, thinking "oh I must try another, and another, or another...THERE MUST BE SOMETHING GREAT ABOUT THIS BAND!!"

Nope. All extremely well recorded, but ultimately ugly, tuneless drivel. The odd song that IS memorable is so utterly annoying I wish I was deaf.

Give me The Who any day please!

• Like 1

Queen are a truly overrated band.

Freddie Mercury had a really ugly voice with a great range (not disputing he could hold a note, and lots of different notes).

Slash is one of the most soulless guitar heroes this planet has ever seen.

The Beatles, as amazing as they are on record, were truly sucky live. The Rolling Stones were pretty lame on record, but their music, songs and entire cool band vibe is made alive on stage.

The Doors music is perhaps the finest of the sixties.

Starcastle released about three albums that sound exactly like Yes, only they are infinitely more enjoyable than quite a few of the bands "classic" albums.

Led Zeppelin II is not all that great.

I'm so glad there's a thread where I can say that...without fear of any backlash or cybercussions whatsoever!

• Like 1

I'm so glad there's a thread where I can say that...without fear of any backlash or cybercussions whatsoever!

Led Zeppelin in general are just not all that wonderful.

Boring comes to mind.

Boring comes to mind.

Well, see, that's the thing- I have loved loved loved Zeppelin, in the past. I just don't listen to them much anymore, as there are better bands out there, but I still love a lot of what they did.

But that second album...for all the love it seems to get, from loads of people...there are some great songs on it, but...as it was recorded sort of all over the place, as they were touring America in 1969...the finished album just sounds like a collection of outtakes to me.

• Like 1

Boring comes to mind.

Well, see, that's the thing- I have loved loved loved Zeppelin, in the past. I just don't listen to them much anymore, as there are better bands out there, but I still love a lot of what they did.

But that second album...for all the love it seems to get, from loads of people...there are some great songs on it, but...as it was recorded sort of all over the place, as they were touring America in 1969...the finished album just sounds like a collection of outtakes to me.

I have tried, and tried, and tried. The debut has great energy and I actually quite enjoy it from time to time.

But after that? I have played most, if not every LZ album, and barely a song from any grabbed my attention. On the other hand, from that same era, Jethro Tull, King Crimson, Yes, Bruce Springsteen, Starcastle, Fleetwood Mac, Tom Petty, Genesis, Rush and Montrose grabbed my attention, so I refuse to even believe that I needed to be there to understand.

Led Zeppelin obviously did something right for millions of rock fans the world over. But like Queen and U2, they do diddly squat for me.

Pink Floyd is a rip off band and overrated.

i have other unpopular opinions, but I am in no mood to be taken to the shed for a flogging today. Hard at work getting my unpopular squatter neighbors evicted ASAP. If I succeed, it might make me the neighborhood heroine. I will be popular.

Speaking of unpopular, am I the only one......

I think heavy metal is awful, and most of their lead singers screech rather than sing.

I'm not that huge of a Pink Floyd fan. There is some stuff I really like and then's a lot of material I don't care for. But why do you consider them a rip off band? I always found their sound to be very unique. There really isn't anyone else that sounds like them.

As someone who's a huge metal fan, what singers/bands are you referring to when you say most of the singers screech? Guys like Ozzy, Dio, Rob Halford and Bruce Dickinson brought a lot of melody to the genre.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

I think heavy metal is awful, and most of their lead singers screech rather than sing.

There are some beautiful singers, but yeah, I can imagine someone who loves an artist like Moody Blues or Tim Buckley being turned off a more brazen vocal style.

I love a lot of metal singers because it is often less about technique and more about adrenaline.

There are some beautiful singers, but yeah, I can imagine someone who loves an artist like Moody Blues or Tim Buckley being turned off a more brazen vocal style.

I love a lot of metal singers because it is often less about technique and more about adrenaline.

Dark Adrenaline? ;)

• Like 2

Dark Adrenaline? ;)

Yes!

And actually, yeah, a (light) metal album with some gorgeous vocals!

• Like 1

Dark Adrenaline? ;)

Yes!

Exactly!

Then there are the more guttural-sounding metal vocalists, as in Lamb of God, or Symphony X...I'm not a fan. Not screechy, but not appealing to me, either.

Edited by Blue J

Dark Adrenaline? ;)

Yes!

Exactly!

Then there are the more guttural-sounding metal vocalists, as in Lamb of God, or Symphony X...I'm not a fan. Not screechy, but not appealing to me, either.

Symphony X has clean vocals for the most part I thought.

Bands like Lamb Of God and Amon Amarth I think do that guttural/growl thing better than most. I think there's something genuine in the way they do it. I truly believe Randy from LOG is pissed off when I hear them. They are examples of metal bands that wouldn't work with any other vocal style. A lot of bands just do the growl/incoherent screaming thing because it's the thing to do in metal or they're covering up because they haven't got a clue how to be a vocalist at all. Those are the ones that really spoil it for the bands doing it the right way. Early Paradise Lost is another example of doing that vocal style right.

Overall, i'm not a big fan of the style as I prefer cleaner melodic singing. But there are certainly bands out there who do it properly and that gives it more of an impact when you hear it.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

Dark Adrenaline? ;)

Yes!

Exactly!

Symphony X has clean vocals for the most part I thought.

Bands like Lamb Of God and Amon Amarth I think do that guttural/growl thing better than most. I think there's something genuine in the way they do it. I truly believe Randy from LOG is pissed off when I hear them. They are examples of metal bands that wouldn't work with any other vocal style. A lot of bands just do the growl/incoherent screaming thing because it's the thing to do in metal or they're covering up because they haven't got a clue how to be a vocalist at all. Those are the ones that really spoil it for the bands doing it the right way. Early Paradise Lost is another example of doing that vocal style right.

Overall, i'm not a big fan of the style as I prefer cleaner melodic singing. But there are certainly bands out there who do that vocal style properly and that gives it more of an impact.

Yes but Paradise Lost became interesting only after they quit the death growls for me! Odd how I love this band to death, but fail to really enjoy their early stuff.

1. Jeff Beck is overrated and will remain so until he can actually write songs, until that time, Edge is better. Which brings me to...

2. U2 is awesome again after mostly mediocre output post-Pop.

3. Most Prog is unlistenable muso-wankery. Gimme actual songs any time. The beauty of Rush is great musicianship + great songwriting. Not just prog for the sake of prog.

You're certainly following the rules of this thread right...

• Like 1

You couldn't call me a true metal fan. I love Classic metal. 70's and 80's. that's all. all other branches of Metal are not for me. and there's a LOT, lol Basically all but classic Metal is awful.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 2

You couldn't call me a true metal fan. I love Classic metal. 70's and 80's. that's all. all other branches of Metal are not for me. and there's a LOT, lol Basically all but classic Metal is awful.

Mick

So where's the unpopular opinion?... :LOL:
  • Like 2

Labeling progressive as pretentious is usually a reflection of the critic's misunderstanding and impatience surrounding the material rather than the artists' actually writing a bunch of soulless overly-technical nonsense.

But I'm pretentious for thinking that way I'm sure

Edited by Mr. Not
  • Like 2

Labeling progressive as pretentious is usually a reflection of the critic's misunderstanding and impatience surrounding the material rather than the artists' actually writing a bunch of soulless overly-technical nonsense.

But I'm pretentious for thinking that way I'm sure

I get this! I see prog as a real musicians art form. Do I always appreciate it? No. But my goodness I admire the skill, talent and imagination that brings these sounds together.

Tales From Topographic Oceans, thank you for coming into my life!

• Like 1

Mick

Touche.

lol.

Better one just for you Narps

Toto is a better band Then Yes.

take that buddy boy.

Lol

Mick

Mick

Touche.

lol.

take that buddy boy.

Lol

Mick

There is very little if any music better than 70's Yes in its totality...
  • Like 2

Mick

Touche.

lol.

take that buddy boy.

Lol

Mick

There is very little if any music better than 70's Yes in its totality...

The Doors

Edited by Segue Myles

I dunno how unpopular this is.......cause i know it has it's fans. But Hogarth era Marillion is a major MAJOR snooze. so mind numbingly boring. Good god.

Fish I miss thee. and your solo career proves Marillion died with your departure.

Mick