Billboard Review and String Ensemble Tour

Tombstone Mountain

QUOTE (sb2112 @ Jun 19 2012, 10:39 AM)
The article said SOME older stuff, not all. I trust them not to overdo it. And Different Strings would probably sound good with strings.

Different Strings live would blow my mind...would they actually do it?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Jun 19 2012, 11:28 AM)
Close your eyes, free your mind

Imagine if you will....
TSOR, Limelight, Tom Sawyer with an orchestra...

did anyone else just puke a little?

I can take the CA songs, Losing It, Manhattan Project, and even Jacob's Ladder... but it better not be the whole damn show.

goodpost.gif

I'm not really enthusiastic about this. A few years back Yes did the same thing and I didn't like it then either.

All these years, the guys have always lived by the "just us three" on stage. They would sometimes discuss the possibility of adding an additional touring keyboard player back in the heavy synth days, but in the end they worked it so it was just the three of them.

Sigh.

On the other hand, though, I can see the string section being onstage for just half the show. It looks like they're kinda wanting to play an "abbreviated" Clockwork Angels, similar to how they've played an "abbreviated" 2112 back in the day. So maybe one set of the show will be CA + whatever other songs they want to string up, and then the other set will just be the three of them onstage.

No Tom Sawyer with strings. Please. Just. No.

But we'll see. I wasn't too enthusiastic when I first heard strings would be on the CA album, but I'm fine with it now. They're tasteful and not overblown in a giant pretentious way. Keeping my fingers crossed they'll keep it toned down on tour too.

I think the worry over a string section playing on EVERY SINGLE SONG is very much for naught and some of you are overreacting.

I don't see them using the orchestra for anything other than the songs that already include strings on the original versions. Besides the fact that it just isn't very "Rush-like", there would be some serious costs associated with getting arrangements written and rehearsed for extra new material.

QUOTE (Gerxt @ Jun 19 2012, 10:05 AM)
Are they really going to pay a string ensemble to follow them around the whole tour? Perhaps they'll do it for a few shows.

Now.....ok I can see The Garden is slightly emotional and is in a minor key but it is not crying material...come on....

thank you voice of reason...it does have an emotional element to it, but being brought to tears is really stretching it a bit for me. I think it may depend on what stage of life the listener is going through.

Clockwork Angels, Seven Cities, Healdlong Flight--they bring me tears of gratitude that the boys got their balls re-attached (I love the heavy side of the band).

Hope they don't ruin some great songs by adding strings.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Mara @ Jun 19 2012, 09:08 AM)
I think the worry over a string section playing on EVERY SINGLE SONG is very much for naught and some of you are overreacting.

I don't see them using the orchestra for anything other than the songs that already include strings on the original versions. Besides the fact that it just isn't very "Rush-like", there would be some serious costs associated with getting arrangements written and rehearsed for extra new material.

they definitely wont be used the whole show. I think it's gonna be a cool addition and something different.

Someone mentioned playing Tears, count me in as loving this idea yes.gif

QUOTE (Mara @ Jun 19 2012, 11:08 AM)

I agree, I don't think it will be used the whole show, but the fact this was in the article:

"Lifeson says Rush will employ a small string ensemble, likely eight to 10 pieces, to recreate those pieces and to be added to some of Rush's older material."

you can see where the worry comes from. Adding strings to older Rush songs... sounds like they are planning on adding strings to songs that didn't have them.

Goddammit. I don't have strong feelings either way about the strings -- keeping an open mind -- but my heart sinks to think Manhattan Project will edge another (infinitely preferable) deep cut out of the setlist.

Plus when they play Manhattan Project, my finger will cramp up from trying constantly to hit a skip button that isn't there.

I'm praying that, Rush being Rush, just because something has strings doesn't automatically slate it for inclusion on the tour. And I'm also loath to believe that they'd go sticking string parts onto songs where it's not appropriate... my bet is they'll take the place of similarly-textured or atmospheric keyboard parts. Then again, considering the arrangement changes on a few songs in Time Machine, I wouldn't put it past them to mix it up on a couple of cuts.

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Jun 19 2012, 11:37 AM)

I don't see them using the orchestra for anything other than the songs that already include strings on the original versions.  Besides the fact that it just isn't very "Rush-like", there would be some serious costs associated with getting arrangements written and rehearsed for extra new material.

I agree, I don't think it will be used the whole show, but the fact this was in the article:

"Lifeson says Rush will employ a small string ensemble, likely eight to 10 pieces, to recreate those pieces and to be added to some of Rush's older material."

you can see where the worry comes from. Adding strings to older Rush songs... sounds like they are planning on adding strings to songs that didn't have them.

It would be cool to hear really any song they've never played live before...strings or no strings...but I see what your sayin'

trink39.gif

It will be awesome to hear CA done with strings...

Wreckers...halo...garden...maybe other bits....

And I would hope they play manhattan project...that song is amongst my all time favs and strings work as they were written in...

Maybe losing it...but that is more of a Mink solo moment...Eddie jobson-like playing....so who knows...

Other than that..I am sure it will be a straight show...not like the yes tour someone referred to...

Not a ballad fest.....nah ....tears.....nah....

Other maybes if I had to guess....

Nobody's hero.

Mission

Jacobs ladder

Bravado

The pass

Peace.

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Jun 19 2012, 06:52 AM)
Taken from Billboard.com

The album's seven-minute opuses range from tight ("Headlong Flight") to the messy title track...

moon.gif

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Jun 19 2012, 10:28 AM)

Imagine if you will....

I can take the CA songs, Losing It, Manhattan Project, and even Jacob's Ladder... but it better not be the whole damn show.

Actually those are the songs that they won't play with the string section, Well they might play Limelight just to replace the string taurus pedal sound.

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Overreact? That's one of the internet foruming 10 Commandments. 'Overreact to tidbits of news' is right after 'Be sensitive while being insensitive' and right before 'Thy don't have to know what thy art talking about'.

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 19 2012, 01:23 PM)
QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Jun 19 2012, 10:28 AM)

Imagine if you will....

Actually those are the songs that they won't play with the string section, Well they might play Limelight just to replace the string taurus pedal sound.

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

So, this is fact?

I don't think they will play strings on songs that didn't have them to begin with. CA obviously has a lot as do other songs from the past that they didn't play because they don't have a string section in the band.

It will give us a chance to hear older songs with strings that we may never have had the chance to hear live. An added bonus of "never played tunes" before they retire.

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jun 19 2012, 01:13 PM)
Taken from Billboard.com

The album's seven-minute opuses range from tight ("Headlong Flight") to the messy title track...

moon.gif

I was about to make a comment about that.

What's "messy" about the title track? I think it's very well-constructed.

The bridge is very bluesy, and the transition into and back out of it is seamlessly done, for example. One of many shining moments in this song.

But. . .it's Rolling Stone. Gotta get their digs in somewhere.

I'd bet they don't take a string section on tour and it's just thinking-out-loud right now.

Either that or they pre-contact string sections/orchestras on each tour stop and send them the parts to play ahead of time to learn them.

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 19 2012, 10:23 AM)
they might play Limelight just to replace the string taurus pedal sound.

2.gif  1022.gif  2.gif

Ya know, I just got small goosebumps thinking about that smile.gif

QUOTE (ShlappinDahBass @ Jun 19 2012, 09:04 AM)
QUOTE (psionic11 @ Jun 19 2012, 09:03 AM)
Old classics I want to hear with the live string section:

Losing It
Manhattan Project
Marathon

Of course, The Garden has to be the main force justifying the strings.

You know, I wouldn't actually mind Tears either. To be honest, I love that song. It's such a beautiful song.

Tears was recorded with a mellotron

Edited by DistantEarlyRushFan

QUOTE (Mara @ Jun 19 2012, 10:34 AM)
QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jun 19 2012, 01:13 PM)
Taken from Billboard.com

moon.gif

I was about to make a comment about that.

What's "messy" about the title track? I think it's very well-constructed.

The bridge is very bluesy, and the transition into and back out of it is seamlessly done, for example. One of many shining moments in this song.

But. . .it's Rolling Stone. Gotta get their digs in somewhere.

nothing messy at all, it's beautifully constructed and one of their best songs in decades.

IMO.

QUOTE (DistantEarlyRushFan @ Jun 19 2012, 12:39 PM)

Losing It
Manhattan Project
Marathon

You know, I wouldn't actually mind Tears either. To be honest, I love that song. It's such a beautiful song.

Tears was recorder with a mellotron

Which is basically taped strings sound.

I think "Tears" if they decide to bring it back, will sound even better than the original recording if they really create a nice string composition for it.

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif yes.gif 2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 19 2012, 12:46 PM)
QUOTE (DistantEarlyRushFan @ Jun 19 2012, 12:39 PM)

Losing It
Manhattan Project
Marathon

Tears was recorder with a mellotron

Which is basically taped strings sound.

I think "Tears" if they decide to bring it back, will sound even better than the original recording if they really create a nice string composition for it.

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif yes.gif 2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

I will have to disagree. I find the mellotron to be one of the most emotive instruments ever made. So it's kind of hard to top for me