Tombstone Mountain

Taken from Billboard.com

RUSH

Clockwork Angels

Producers: Rush, Nick Raskulinecz

Anthem/Roadrunner Records

Release Date: June 12

Review:

It's not exactly a news flash when at the beginning of Rush's latest album, "Clockwork Angels," frontman Geddy Lee proclaims, "I can't stop thinking big." The Canadian trio has always stretched large ideas across an expansive soundscape, blending hard rock, prog and metal. And the five years since the band's last album, "Snakes & Arrows," have given Rush plenty of time to create a lot of new music. "Clockwork Angels" weighs in at a formidable 66 minutes, time enough for a kitchen-sink's worth of ideas and a weighty conceptual focus by drummer/lyricist Neil Peart about one man's journey to realize his dreams. (Look for the novel soon.) The album's seven-minute opuses range from tight ("Headlong Flight") to the messy title track, while fans of Rush's classic, riff-driven approach and ensemble virtuosity will find aural nirvana in "The Anarchist," "Seven Cities of Gold," "The Wreckers" and "Wish Them Well."

Rush Bringing String ensenble on tour as well

Artists in this Article

/artist/rush/5579

Rush .With "Clockwork Angels," its first new album in five years, just out, Rush is planning a tour that will surprise many of the Canadian trio's fans.

"Our intention is to take strings out on the road," guitarist Alex Lifeson tells Billboard.com. Orchestrations, arranged by David Campbell, feature on several of "Clockwork Angels' " tracks, and Lifeson says Rush will employ a small string ensemble, likely eight to 10 pieces, to recreate those pieces and to be added to some of Rush's older material. "It's just something different for us, and I can't wait to hear what it sounds like."

Lifeson says Campbell will be writing arrangements for the tour, which kicks off Sept. 7 in Manchester, N.H., and will likely appear at some of the shows as well. "Certainly in the beginning he'll be out for a bit," the guitarist says. "I think his intention is to use these musicians he's been working with for a long time, who he trusts, and once they're settled in he doesn't have to be around all the time and he can come out whenever he feels like it."

Lifeson says the production is "still in a planning stage" but promises that "it's a while new show. It's new staging, new lighting, everything is new and fresh about it. I would say that it's an evolutionary extension of what the (2010-11) Time Machine Tour was, but we are definitely freshening it up and bringing and there'll be a lot of new video stuff going on." And, of course, Lifeson and his mates expect to dedicate a considerable amount of stage time to "Clockwork Angels," a concept album that will be followed by a novel co-written by drummer/lyricist Neil Peart and Kevin J. Anderson.

"The set list is quite fluid these days," Lifeson reports. "We're dropping and replacing songs constantly, and that's the way it always goes before we get into rehearsals. There's a great deal of pressure on us now to do the whole record, which we don't anticipate. I think our intention is probably to prepare the whole thing; whether we'll do it or not we're still not sure, especially on the first leg of the tour. There's still a lot of older stuff we want to do, and we've got some great songs lined up from the past. We'd be loathe to drop them to add more of 'Clockwork Angels,' at least on the first leg. It's always nice to switch up on the second leg and make it a little different."

Lifeson hasn't read the "Clockwork Angels" novel yet, but says Peart was recently in the studio to record an audio version of the book. "That is all coming together very quickly and it will definitely be done in time for the tour, if not shortly before," he notes. As for other "Clockwork Angels" adaptations, Lifeson cracks that "maybe if we can get Trey and Matt (Parker and Stone of 'South Park' and 'The Book of Mormon' fame) to do the musical we'd have some success with it. But, you know, we're focused on the tour right now. The album just came out. The book is very important to Neil, and that's his little baby. But certainly for the three of us the album has been the most important thing, and what happens and comes of it, we'll see. We're preparing for the tour, and right now that's what our focus is. It's been very, very busy in the Rush camp for the past couple of months."

Edited by Tombstone Mountain

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh great. So that means they'll probably be playing "The Garden", and I will be crying my eyes out in front of everyone.

But I'll handle it.

QUOTE (Mara @ Jun 19 2012, 08:59 AM)
Oh great. So that means they'll probably be playing "The Garden", and I will be crying my eyes out in front of everyone.

But I'll handle it.

smile.gif

I think it will turn a lot of Rush fans off, but I am not too worried.

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Jun 19 2012, 09:00 AM)
Oh great.  So that means they'll probably be playing "The Garden", and I will be crying my eyes out in front of everyone. 

But I'll handle it.

smile.gif

Bet they play Manhattan Project...can you imagine seeing that with a string ensemble??? How cool is that?

QUOTE (psionic11 @ Jun 19 2012, 09:03 AM)
Old classics I want to hear with the live string section:

Losing It
Manhattan Project
Marathon

Of course, The Garden has to be the main force justifying the strings.

You know, I wouldn't actually mind Tears either. To be honest, I love that song. It's such a beautiful song.

Losing It
Manhattan Project
Marathon

Losing it...man I'll bet you they are going there! Keep those fingers crossed!!!

trink39.gif

I still like the idea of them remaining a three-piece.However, for them to play clockwork angels with the string section would be great and it also gives them a chance to play some songs such as Manhattan Project and Losing It with the string section.

QUOTE (ShlappinDahBass @ Jun 19 2012, 10:04 AM)

Losing It
Manhattan Project
Marathon

You know, I wouldn't actually mind Tears either. To be honest, I love that song. It's such a beautiful song.

Yeah...but it's NOT a concert song. At least IMO.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 19 2012, 09:10 AM)

Losing It
Manhattan Project
Marathon

You never know. Knowing the trio, they'd pull it off somehow. Those clever guys...

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Jun 19 2012, 10:00 AM)
Oh great.  So that means they'll probably be playing "The Garden", and I will be crying my eyes out in front of everyone. 

But I'll handle it.

smile.gif

My buddy, my brother and I are three of them.

I'm gonna wait to see the setlist and how the orchestra is used.

If it's for the relevent CwA stuff and a few oldies, then that's fine. But if it is for the entire show then I'm not spending $150 to see that. Just not my cup of tea and the whole thing screams dinosaur to me. I'm sure plenty people here will enjoy it and it will be interesting for sure, but that's a lot of money to spend on something that I'm not overly keen on.

QUOTE (ShlappinDahBass @ Jun 19 2012, 10:12 AM)

Losing It
Manhattan Project
Marathon

You never know. Knowing the trio, they'd pull it off somehow. Those clever guys...

I'm sure they would.

For me, I just prefer more upbeat songs for concerts. The hard-rockers, if you will.

Again, I'm not complaining. I just don't want to see the entire setlist flooded with all the ballad-esque songs. A few are great...but not the bulk of the setlist.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 19 2012, 09:36 AM)
QUOTE (ShlappinDahBass @ Jun 19 2012, 10:12 AM)

Losing It
Manhattan Project
Marathon

I'm sure they would.

For me, I just prefer more upbeat songs for concerts. The hard-rockers, if you will.

Again, I'm not complaining. I just don't want to see the entire setlist flooded with all the ballad-esque songs. A few are great...but not the bulk of the setlist.

I wonder how the orchestra will be intergrated into the instrumentals? I could see something cool in La Villa...it'll be interesting to see how the songs are arranged...hope it doesn't alter some standards too much.

QUOTE (psionic11 @ Jun 19 2012, 10:03 AM)

Losing It
Manhattan Project
Marathon

Hey! That wouldn't suck! smile.gif

Ged's voice should be able to handle them too!

Are they really going to pay a string ensemble to follow them around the whole tour? Perhaps they'll do it for a few shows.

Now.....ok I can see The Garden is slightly emotional and is in a minor key but it is not crying material...come on....

Edited by Gerxt

QUOTE (ShlappinDahBass @ Jun 19 2012, 09:12 AM)

Losing It
Manhattan Project
Marathon

After the drum solo.

I keep getting an image of Homer at the Rush concert... like at the BTO concert...

Homer: "No talking! No new crap! 'Taking Care of Business.' Now."

Bachman: "Okay."

Homer: "Get to 'Workin Overtime'!"

Close your eyes, free your mind

Imagine if you will....

TSOR, Limelight, Tom Sawyer with an orchestra...

did anyone else just puke a little?

I can take the CA songs, Losing It, Manhattan Project, and even Jacob's Ladder... but it better not be the whole damn show.

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Jun 19 2012, 11:28 AM)
Close your eyes, free your mind

Imagine if you will....
TSOR, Limelight, Tom Sawyer with an orchestra...

did anyone else just puke a little?

I can take the CA songs, Losing It, Manhattan Project, and even Jacob's Ladder... but it better not be the whole damn show.

Exactly. It's not like 95% of their catalog screams orchestral music. They're mostly a hard rock band.

In regards to paying them the whole tour, no wonder the ticket prices are so expensive!