Billboard Review and String Ensemble Tour

Tombstone Mountain

QUOTE (rrzubnyy @ Jun 20 2012, 11:56 AM)
QUOTE (marblesmike @ Jun 20 2012, 10:07 AM)
QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Jun 20 2012, 10:52 AM)
QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 20 2012, 10:43 AM)
QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 20 2012, 10:41 AM)
I feel they should only use strings for songs that have strings already on them. Leave the other songs in tact.

If they do this, then I'd be 100% behind it.

Completely with you on this.

Agreed. My biggest concern is that once they start preparing to work with the string section they'll over-do it and start using it on more and more tracks.

I think they are going to blow this thing up! If they keep it low then fine but I am there to hear the THREE not more...I do not want to be distracted and the strings section could do that if they let it...

I'm guessing they'll keep this to just the songs that have them and unearth some older tunes that have strings...(like Losing It). I highly doubt this will be akin to Metallica's tour or Kiss's string one-off or Styx. I don't think we'll be subjected to the string version of Red Barchetta.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 21 2012, 07:36 AM)
Now you COULD hear some traditionally keyboard played parts reinterpreted for strings. I wouldn't think that would be unreasonable.

That's exactly what I said the other day.

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jun 20 2012, 08:41 PM)
QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jun 20 2012, 04:25 PM)
I want Dog Years with strings.....yeah baby!  1022.gif

followed by Tai Shan and Anagram 1022.gif

I accept that I'm the only person in the world (including the band) who likes Tai Shan, but surely Anagram gets more love... right guys? Right?

Okay fine.

QUOTE (pablorkcz @ Jun 20 2012, 07:09 PM)
QUOTE (theprestobunnies @ Jun 20 2012, 12:21 PM)
we're all for the most part sick of some of the same songs that we know they will be playing, like Tom Sawyer.

Of all of the Rush concert standards, Tom Sawyer is the one song I will never tire of hearing live (also Subdivisions) and the one song I would not want strings on.

For me, Tom Sawyer is baseline Rush, the essence of Rush. Hearing it live kind of resets everything, making all well in the Universe for me. It is sort of like the ritual part of a Rush show that everyone is 100% connected by.

Subdivisions is similar for me but in a more personal way. It brings me back to when I first really connected with Rush music and I imagine it's the same for a lot of other people.

In fact, I imagine this is precisely why there are a handful of core songs that they stick to with all tours: almost as a sign of respect to fans.

Their regular reintroduction of old deep cuts is another sign of respect for their fans as well.

I also think that most fans probably give the benefit of the doubt to Rush for trying new things like string arrangements and wait to see how well they work but are also their toughest critics when it doesn't work.

goodpost.gif

While Tom Sawyer has never been a personal favorite of mine (it's a damn good song and I like it a great deal -- just not "the one" for me), I think you're right on in this assessment. It really does have an almost mystical effect live.

And my experience with Subdivisions is the same -- in fact, that's the first song that ever connected with me in a personal way. It really moves me and I'd be heartbroken if they took it out of the lineup.

There are just certain moments in a Rush show that are quintessential. These are the moments where on the live albums you hear the crowd go f---ing NUTS: when that sick first synth drops in Tom Sawyer, Alex's simple but soul-shattering solo in Subdivisions, realizing that classical guitar bit is transitioning into Trees, realizing that 12-string bit is transitioning into Closer to the Heart, or when the boys somehow land back in unison into the pre-chorus of Freewill after the most blistering solo excursion in history.

Rush know they have to provide as many of these moments as they can -- if they take one out of rotation, they always put another back in. I don't think they'll let the string parts get in the way of these moments.

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Jun 19 2012, 06:00 AM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Jun 19 2012, 08:59 AM)
Oh great.  So that means they'll probably be playing "The Garden", and I will be crying my eyes out in front of everyone. 

But I'll handle it.

smile.gif

I think it will turn a lot of Rush fans off, but I am not too worried.

Oh well,

They will get over it. biggrin.gif I think it's fu***** awesome! 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 19 2012, 06:10 AM)
QUOTE (ShlappinDahBass @ Jun 19 2012, 10:04 AM)
QUOTE (psionic11 @ Jun 19 2012, 09:03 AM)
Old classics I want to hear with the live string section:

Losing It
Manhattan Project
Marathon

Of course, The Garden has to be the main force justifying the strings.

You know, I wouldn't actually mind Tears either. To be honest, I love that song. It's such a beautiful song.

Yeah...but it's NOT a concert song. At least IMO.

Why?,

I will take it over Resist any day of the week. Plus, it would fit right in with this tour! biggrin.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (troutman @ Jun 21 2012, 09:33 AM)
QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 19 2012, 06:10 AM)
QUOTE (ShlappinDahBass @ Jun 19 2012, 10:04 AM)
QUOTE (psionic11 @ Jun 19 2012, 09:03 AM)
Old classics I want to hear with the live string section:

Losing It
Manhattan Project
Marathon

Of course, The Garden has to be the main force justifying the strings.

You know, I wouldn't actually mind Tears either. To be honest, I love that song. It's such a beautiful song.

Yeah...but it's NOT a concert song. At least IMO.

Why?,

I will take it over Resist any day of the week. Plus, it would fit right in with this tour! biggrin.gif 2.gif

Tears will sound incredible with a 10 piece string section. Mark my Words!

yes.gif