How Many people really rate ALL THREE Vapor Trails

treeduck

How many of you love ALL the last three albums?  

185 members have voted

1. 1. How many of you love ALL the last three albums?

• 1 Yes I think all three are good or great
    • 2 I hate Vapor Trails, like/love the other two
    • 3 I hate Snakes & Arrows, like/love the other two
    • 4 I hate Clockwork Angels, like/love the other two
    • 5 I hate ALL three
    • 6 I think all three are just average, WAY down on the 70s/80s albums
    • 7 I hate VT and S&A but really enjoy Clockwork Angels
    • 8 I think all three are decent but not that good
    • 9 I hate VT and Clockwork Angels but really enjoy Snakes & Arrows
    • 10 I hate S&A and Clockwork Angels but I love Vapor Trails
    • 11 I hate everything after Counterparts
    • 11 I hate everything after Power Windows
    • 12 I hate everything after Moving Pictures

QUOTE (LyndseyG @ Jun 19 2012, 01:36 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 18 2012, 08:52 PM)
Ok I'm one of those people who enjoy Clockwork Angels, Vapor Trails AND Snakes & Arrows, how many more of us are there?

ph34r.gif  trink38.gif  cool10.gif  bekloppt.gif  1022.gif

Yep! Me! bekloppt.gif

bekloppt.gif

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CA has to soak in and stand the test of time to truely rank it, but right now its at least at #10, which knocks Vapor Trails to #11 and S&A is much further down. My top 9 are all arguably classic era, so its hard to compare a modern masterpiece(?) with a classic one. But this new album really is great and I probably don't even fully appreciate it yet. Every song is borderline great or plain great. And they all have their own identities and their own places in the album.

For me, none of the options quite fit right simply because I don't think that VT is completely a bad album and I don't hate it. Certainly, although it's been beaten to death, the sound quality irks me to no end, so I'm pretty sure my main impression will change once they do the remix and remaster. However, I do think a few of the songs on that album are a bit weak and it goes on a bit too long. Then again, some of SnA seems that way, and I love that album. However, CA seems to eclipse both of those works by a large margin in my mind, with SnA being second and VT being third. Amazes me how these 3 albums all show Rush at different stages throughout the decade from recovery, stability, and now taking on new ground with CA. It almost seems like the band started fresh with VT after the "hiatus" and that they followed a metaphorical scheme of the real first three albums. Vapor Trails is hard, dirty, and loud, just like the first Rush album. Snakes and Arrows possesses some very beautiful pieces featuring acoustic guitar, as well as some bluesy rock like the beginning of "The Way the Wind Blows", which is similar to Fly By Night. Finally, Clockwork Angels shows the band going for bigger, longer, better, and more musicianly inclined like Carress of Steel.

Dont love either of them. All they do now is write standard issue rock songs. They're no different than any other rock band out there now. The really adventurous and souring song writing has been gone for a long time.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 20 2012, 04:37 AM)
Dont love either of them. All they do now is write standard issue rock songs. They're no different than any other rock band out there now.

Wow, really??? ohmy.gif

Since you seem knowledgeable on the subject, I'd love a list of recent albums, and especially songs (please provide sample youtube links), that are standard issue rock songs and are no different than what Rush did on CA, because I'd love to hear that! Since I'm loving CA, I'm apparently in for a real treat! yes.gif drool1.gif

*awaiting links* biggrin.gif

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jun 20 2012, 12:16 PM)
I like all three to be honest. A couple of duffers on VT & SA, but overall both are very good.

Still in love with CA, so am too blind to be critical at the moment. That will undoubtedly change with time.

Same sentiments really. Although I personally like VT above the other two, albeit very very marginally. And this might change tomorrow

QUOTE (beherit @ Jun 18 2012, 02:53 PM)
I like every Rush album

I'm with you. Every Rush album contains gems. Some more than others, but I derive enjoyment from every single album.

QUOTE (Sonatine @ Jun 20 2012, 12:35 PM)
I like all three to be honest. A couple of duffers on VT & SA, but overall both are very good.

Still in love with CA, so am too blind to be critical at the moment. That will undoubtedly change with time.

Same sentiments really. Although I personally like VT above the other two, albeit very very marginally. And this might change tomorrow

Hey Sonatine, nice to see ya 'round these parts again! trink39.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 20 2012, 04:48 AM)
Dont love either of them. All they do now is write standard issue rock songs. They're no different than any other rock band out there now.

Wow, really??? ohmy.gif

Since you seem knowledgeable on the subject, I'd love a list of recent albums, and especially songs (please provide sample youtube links), that are standard issue rock songs and are no different than what Rush did on CA, because I'd love to hear that! Since I'm loving CA, I'm apparently in for a real treat! yes.gif drool1.gif

still waiting... trenken? confused13.gif

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jun 20 2012, 12:50 PM)
QUOTE (Sonatine @ Jun 20 2012, 12:35 PM)

Hey Sonatine, nice to see ya 'round these parts again! trink39.gif

Thanks, Mate.

I took a few month off from the rat-race treadmill and spent some time in Oz, New Zealand & Japan having adventures etc.

Nice to be back home in Blighty now though, as well as catching up on things here yes.gif

QUOTE (beherit @ Jun 18 2012, 12:53 PM)
I like every Rush album

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Jun 20 2012, 07:47 AM)
QUOTE (beherit @ Jun 18 2012, 02:53 PM)
I like every Rush album

I'm with you. Every Rush album contains gems. Some more than others, but I derive enjoyment from every single album.

Yeah despite what some people on here would have you believe all RUSH albums are at least decent. There's no St Anger or Lulu in the RUSH catalogue...

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jun 20 2012, 06:26 AM)
I'm shocked duck-san. My option was not represented. You need to go back to your 4000 option polls.
I like VT, think S & A is okay, and really enjoy CA. trink38.gif

cool10.gif cool10.gif cool10.gif cool10.gif cool10.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 20 2012, 07:48 AM)

Wow, really??? ohmy.gif

laugh.gif

Trenken - when has Rush EVER not written 'standard issue' rock songs. If by that you mean, traditional verse chorus structure. (I assume)

confused13.gif

I mean, sure they did epics, but ever since Signals, and up until Caress of Steel, the majority of Rush songs had verses and choruses just like most rock songs. And ever from CoS-MP, there were still lots of "standard issue" songs.

I think you just don't like the songs. But it's not fair to say that all of the sudden, Rush has suddenly become much less creative, and have started to make verses and choruses like never before.

Come on, this is Rush, not Yes or King Crimson.

Geez TD, so you put up one of these polls as well? ohmy.gif

Anyways you prob guessed by now #6. All so disappointingly average, but that doesn't mean there aint a few gems to be found on each. I'm personally still so grateful they're making new shit after all these years as well yes.gif