Most Overrated & Most Underrated Tracks on CA

rushgoober

Overrated: 7CoG. It's a dece piece, but why so many fans seem gaga over it drool1.gif is beyond me. huh.gif It just sounds like generic modern-era Rush to me.

Underrated: SO GLAD Wish Them Well is getting some love up in this thread! The jangly "Thank your stars" pre-chorus gets me EVERY TIME.

1022.gif AlexFinal.gif 1022.gif NeilFinal.gif 1022.gif GeddyFinal.gif 1022.gif

Edited by AndroidOnTheRun

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (AndroidOnTheRun @ Jun 18 2012, 07:41 PM)
Underrated: SO GLAD Wish Them Well is getting some love up in this thread! The jangly "Thank your stars" pre-chorus gets me EVERY TIME.
1022.gif AlexFinal.gif 1022.gif NeilFinal.gif 1022.gif GeddyFinal.gif 1022.gif

Me too. Top four pick for me.

"Thank your stars you're not that way..." Third listen or so, before I'd even listened with the lyric sheet in hand, that part of that song jumped out of my speakers and bit me in the ass. Awesome bit! Catchy!

Overrated: Wreckers.

Underrated: Halo Effect. Why? Mainly, the song is only 3 minutes long, which mirrors the lyrics of being in love with illusion, fading fast. Music that goes with lyrics and vice ver = damn good song. Runner up: wish them well.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 18 2012, 08:48 PM)
QUOTE (AndroidOnTheRun @ Jun 18 2012, 08:41 PM)
Overrated: 7CoG.  It's a dece piece, but why so many fans seem gaga over it drool1.gif is beyond me.  huh.gif It just sounds like generic modern-era Rush to me.

Fail.

Okay, if I've failed to understand the rampant 7CoG love, maybe you can help me succeed. Why do you love that track?

Probably not gonna change my opinion, but nothing about that track has grabbed me, and I'm wondering (honestly) what about it is apparently connecting with many fans.

Defend Seven Cities of Gold to your heart's delight, and I shall merely read and nod and say "noted" without shooting flames back, promise!

7 Cities is definitely overrated... I just don't get it. Boring as hell.

BU2B2 is EXTREMELY underrated. So is Wish Them Well... but I'm gonna call Halo Effect the most underrated song on the album. Nobody rags on it, but nobody raves about it either- despite the fact that it's a fantastic song.

QUOTE (Jeffrey @ Jun 19 2012, 08:11 AM)
Underrated - The Garden. This is Rush's most beautiful piece of work ever and deserves even higher praise. What a song.

No comments on overrated.

Umm...there are like 40 threads on The Garden.

Highly doubt it could even be consider underrated at all. It's one of the more talked about songs.

QUOTE (KenJennings @ Jun 19 2012, 02:58 AM)

BU2B2 is EXTREMELY underrated. So is Wish Them Well... but I'm gonna call Halo Effect the most underrated song on the album. Nobody rags on it, but nobody raves about it either- despite the fact that it's a fantastic song.

BU2B2 can hardly even be considered a song. It's pretty clear why it's on the bottom of nearly everyone's ranked list.

Then again, if you find BU2B2 to be very entertaining, and Seven Cities of Gold "boring as hell", then one must assume that you were given the wrong CD altogether.

"Seven Cities" is overrated? "The Garden" is underrated? Do people understand what the words "overrated" and "underrated" even mean??

How can a song be "overrated" when few people have come forward liking it? How can a song be "underrated" when there are a dozen threads full of people raving about it?

WTF? confused13.gif

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 19 2012, 06:48 AM)
QUOTE (KenJennings @ Jun 19 2012, 02:58 AM)

BU2B2 can hardly even be considered a song. It's pretty clear why it's on the bottom of nearly everyone's ranked list.

Then again, if you find BU2B2 to be very entertaining, and Seven Cities of Gold "boring as hell", then one must assume that you were given the wrong CD altogether.

I think you confuse the terms boring and somber.

Overrated: The Garden. I've read all the raves, but for me it's not clicking and shows no signs of going to. The strings drag it into sounding like a dirge (too much cello?) , the lyrics have a higher sap content than a Vermont maple , and the outro is annoyingly interrupted by the repeated "it's the meaure of a life". For me, 2.gif could have left off this and BU2B2, ended the album with Wish Them Well and had a 10-song, 57 minute absolute killer CD.

Underrated: Wish Them Well. Good lyrics, catchy choral refrain and a smoking solo... good clean 2.gif fun 653.gif

Underrated: Wish Them Well. Powerful, upbeat, full of energy. It makes a better closer than the melancholy and somber The Garden, IMO.

Overrated: The Garden. It's technically a good song, don't get me wrong, but it just doesn't click with me entirely. I don't do melancholy and somber. confused13.gif

QUOTE (Pause Rewind Replay @ Jun 20 2012, 04:47 AM)
For me, 2.gif could have left off this and BU2B2, ended the album with Wish Them Well and had a 10-song, 57 minute absolute killer CD.

Eh, I don't mind BU2B2 so much. It makes a nice interlude before Wish Them Well kicks in.

I think my issue is that the character goes through all these wild mood swings at the end. wink.gif On Headlong Flight, he's looking back going "yeah, I'd do it all again! Woo!" but then he's all depressed when BU2B2 starts. But then it's like he snaps out of it suddenly when Wish Them Well starts: "Ah, screw 'em all! I'm outta here! Yeah! Wooo!!" but then he's suddenly pensive and gloomy again in The Garden.