CA was made for headphones

Rushman14

I've been doing alot of complaining about the production of CA, much to the annoyance of some members of the board. I've been obsessing on the sound quality and it was ruining my experience of a new Rush album, one that I knew was something special. I even found myself bumming about it in the middle of the night wacko.gif

Today at work, I downloaded it into itunes, plugged in my headphones, adjusted the EQ until I found the sweet spot (which was key), and dug in. It's the first time I've been able to just listen to the album without analysing the production and OMG, Clockwork Angels really is a work of art. This album was made for headphones (not earbuds). I am finally able to hear every little nuance, every little drum fill, everything.

For the first time, almost every track raised the hair on the back of my neck, even Wish Them Well. For the first time Headlong Flight sent goosebumps down my spine. I have finally fallen in love with The Wreckers. This is their finest work since Moving Pictures without question.

Today I am happy. I always knew this was THAT album, but again I was letting my OCD about the production ruin the experience. I still find the final master problematic but unlike Vapor Trails, it is fixable with proper EQing. Some people have already mentioned dropping out some of the bottom end and raising the treble which i did, but the key for me was rolling back some of the mid ranges. That fixed the harshness I was hearing with the guitars. If I can somehow recreate this on CD for the car, I'm golden.

For those of you that have not listened on Headphones, I highly recommend it. It is a different experience entirely. Just adjust the EQ accordingly. Am I now pumped to watch them play this bad boy in its entirety in November smile.gif

side note: right as I was getting ready to post this I said to a co-worker "man, the new Rush album was made for headphones". His response: "YES! that way no one else can hear it!" laugh.gif

I respectfully disagree. I've EQed it and listened on my headphones and its loudness gives me a headache/ear fatigue after 20 minutes...which is too bad because I really enjoy it.

I should try listening with my cans rather than ear buds. That might be the issue!

QUOTE (marblesmike @ Jun 15 2012, 01:16 PM)
I respectfully disagree. I've EQed it and listened on my headphones and its loudness gives me a headache/ear fatigue after 20 minutes...which is too bad because I really enjoy it.

I should try listening with my cans rather than ear buds. That might be the issue!

I still say you have Marble in your ears!

tongue.gif

QUOTE (marblesmike @ Jun 15 2012, 11:16 AM)

definitely cans. I cant recreate the experience with earbuds. and try dropping some mids.

I'm in agreement here. I've listened to the album on our home system and today listened with my iPod earbuds. I mean, I've heard it with one bud in on my way to work but this is the first time I've listened with both. I know it's not the same as headphones but the difference! Wow!

Yeah, my best listening experience has been with headphones. Earbuds are alright, but with headphones you get a sense of space and a level of detail that I just haven't found any other way.

Although, I must say that second place goes to my friend's audiophile home system. There's something special about the way the bass and taurus pedals just thundered in that setting!

Not just headphones, but FLAT frequency response headphones. Most stereo systems and earbuds and yes even the cheap (less than $100) cans have a high frequency roll off and/or bass boost. The reasoning behind this is because most people cannot hear past 16khz (or lower) after they turn twenty, and casual music fans love bass.

I listened on my AKG Q701's and i didn't think anything was muddy at all, it was crisp and clear. but through my shitty car stereo system, the "Big steel wheels" part of Headlong flight was very very bassy. -something that was not a problem on flat headphones.

whats the frequency response of your headphones? i recommend this website:

http://www.headphone.com/

also, just because you have high end speakers, doesn't mean the room you listen to it is equally as flat or treated. any room that has parallel walls that aren't treated are gonna have standing waves that cause frequency cancellation depending on where you are in the room.

try standing in a corner when the previously mentioned part of Headlong Flight comes on and see how much bass there is then.

QUOTE (Dylan2712 @ Jun 15 2012, 02:46 PM)
Not just headphones, but FLAT frequency response headphones. Most stereo systems and earbuds and yes even the cheap (less than $100) cans have a high frequency roll off and/or bass boost. The reasoning behind this is because most people cannot hear past 16khz (or lower) after they turn twenty, and casual music fans love bass.

I listened on my AKG Q701's and i didn't think anything was muddy at all, it was crisp and clear. but through my shitty car stereo system, the "Big steel wheels" part of Headlong flight was very very bassy. -something that was not a problem on flat headphones.

also, just because you have high end speakers, doesn't mean the room you listen to it is equally as flat or treated. any room that has parallel walls that aren't treated are gonna have standing waves that cause frequency cancellation depending on where you are in the room.

try standing in a corner when the previously mentioned part of Headlong Flight comes on and see how much bass there is then.

For this reason I love my Audio Technica M50 cans. Here at work I have Monster iBeats (Dr Dre earbuds) and while being one of the better earbuds I've had they definitely give me fatigue at times, especially with louder mastered music.

QUOTE (Merely Space @ Jun 15 2012, 01:38 PM)
Yeah, my best listening experience has been with headphones. Earbuds are alright, but with headphones you get a sense of space and a level of detail that I just haven't found any other way.

Although, I must say that second place goes to my friend's audiophile home system. There's something special about the way the bass and taurus pedals just thundered in that setting!

In any setting with a larger sound system. I think it was intensional! I'm starting to enjoy it. "It makes me feel funny"!

wub.gif

QUOTE (marblesmike @ Jun 15 2012, 01:48 PM)
QUOTE (Dylan2712 @ Jun 15 2012, 02:46 PM)

For this reason I love my Audio Technica M50 cans. Here at work I have Monster iBeats (Dr Dre earbuds) and while being one of the better earbuds I've had they definitely give me fatigue at times, especially with louder mastered music.

It those marbles Mike. The Marbles!

rofl3.gif icon_really_happy_guy.gif z7shysterical.gif

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jun 15 2012, 01:10 PM)
I've been doing alot of complaining about the production of CA, much to the annoyance of some members of the board. I've been obsessing on the sound quality and it was ruining my experience of a new Rush album, one that I knew was something special. I even found myself bumming about it in the middle of the night wacko.gif

Today at work, I downloaded it into itunes, plugged in my headphones, adjusted the EQ until I found the sweet spot (which was key), and dug in. It's the first time I've been able to just listen to the album without analysing the production and OMG, Clockwork Angels really is a work of art. This album was made for headphones (not earbuds). I am finally able to hear every little nuance, every little drum fill, everything.

For the first time, almost every track raised the hair on the back of my neck, even Wish Them Well. For the first time Headlong Flight sent goosebumps down my spine. I have finally fallen in love with The Wreckers. This is their finest work since Moving Pictures without question.

Today I am happy. I always knew this was THAT album, but again I was letting my OCD about the production ruin the experience. I still find the final master problematic but unlike Vapor Trails, it is fixable with proper EQing. Some people have already mentioned dropping out some of the bottom end and raising the treble which i did, but the key for me was rolling back some of the mid ranges. That fixed the harshness I was hearing with the guitars. If I can somehow recreate this on CD for the car, I'm golden.

For those of you that have not listened on Headphones, I highly recommend it. It is a different experience entirely. Just adjust the EQ accordingly. Am I now pumped to watch them play this bad boy in its entirety in November smile.gif

side note: right as I was getting ready to post this I said to a co-worker "man, the new Rush album was made for headphones". His response: "YES! that way no one else can hear it!" laugh.gif

Would you mind listing your settings?

Once this is done, you can then burn it to a cd? Or are the EQ changes not a permanent thing that can be transferred?

QUOTE (Pound of Obscure @ Jun 15 2012, 11:51 AM)
Would you mind listing your settings?

Once this is done, you can then burn it to a cd?  Or are the EQ changes not a permanent thing that can be transferred?

32Hz @ -5

64Hz @ -3

125Hz @ -3

250Hz @ -4

500Hz @ -5

1000Hz @ -4

2000Hz @ -1

4000Hz @ -0

8000Hz @ +2

16000Hz @ +2

plus I lowered the amp gain -2.

I have average Nady headphones and these settings sound beautimus. Not sure this will translate to the car. When i get some more time I'm gonna mess around with my mastering software for the CD. But I do most of my listening at work so I'm good to go at the moment.

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jun 15 2012, 01:10 PM)

i totally agree.

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jun 15 2012, 02:10 PM)

I just got off the phone with my bud who lives in another state and told him your exact post!!!!! I never had seen your post until right now.

I agree 10000000%

An amazing work, thru headphones.

cool.gif

Absolutely agree! I listened in the car - we have a good stereo, too - and it was good. But last night I plugged in my new professional-quality Koss headphones and.... Oh my gawd! ohmy.gif

Definitely a must for everyone! yes.gif