Billy Corgan Interviews Rush!

hermy

QUOTE (Merely Space @ Jun 12 2012, 07:40 AM)
I suspect Mr. Corgan was joking about opening for Rush, while paying them a huge compliment. He's a fan. I have to believe he knows they don't use an opening band anymore.

He wasn't joking. It was very sincere....and awkward...

Alex and Geddy were like, "er, yah, let us look into that and get back to you" Right after they left, they called their management and have filed a restraining order against Corgan

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

loved the interview, and it sounds like these guys are happier than ever making music together, and will continue to do so.

the question i have is...do we have to wait another 5 years for the next album?

they'll probably tour thru 2012...any chance they'd start writing soon after that? for as good as they're playing, and as much as they're enjoying things, i'm hoping they realize that time might not be on their side that much longer -- given the complexity of their music, and the demands of touring that kind of music -- so hopefully they can get inspired to write and record again without as long of a wait.

is it wrong to be greedy? lol. i'd love to hear 3 or 4 more albums from Rush!

QUOTE (presto123 @ Jun 12 2012, 02:02 AM)
Thought it was a great interview as well but I didn't like Billy putting the boys on the spot at the end. He should know that Rush will probably never have another opening band anyway.

Hahaha well it was kind of funny to hear the front man for the extraordinarily popular Pumpkins to grovel and ask if they could ever open for them! I think it was actually just a bit of a joke what with his weird sense of humor.

Great interview though, thoroughly enjoyed listening to that last night!

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Jun 12 2012, 11:39 AM)
Thought it was a great interview as well but I didn't like Billy putting the boys on the spot at the end. He should know that Rush will probably never have another opening band anyway.

Hahaha well it was kind of funny to hear the front man for the extraordinarily popular Pumpkins to grovel and ask if they could ever open for them! I think it was actually just a bit of a joke what with his weird sense of humor.

That's what I gathered too.

QUOTE (Kelly D @ Jun 12 2012, 01:18 PM)
QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Jun 12 2012, 11:39 AM)

That's what I gathered too.

Yeah as a matter of fact Geddy and Alex kind of put HIM on the spot at the end where they turned the tables and started grilling/interviewing him about his new album.

z7shysterical.gif

Unless of course that was also planned.

Edited by Godeater2112

I always liked the Pumpkins and think it would be a really good bill to have them open for Rush( I remember Candlebox opened for Rush no more different then that) But we know Rush is beyond having a opening band at this point. One of the better interviews good job by Billy. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 11 2012, 06:33 PM)
QUOTE (ThinkingBig @ Jun 11 2012, 05:49 PM)
QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jun 11 2012, 04:32 PM)
The end of it was funny. Corgan throws Smashing Pumpkins into the ring as wanting to open for Rush sometime soon. He was serious and could tell he felt like they should be honored or whatever

Alex and Geddy are just kind of politely going along with it but you know there's no chance in hell that will happen

Why do you say 'no chance in hell'?

I love how fans think they know what's going on in RUSHs head.

I'm sure people would have said 'no chance' with Colbert or being in hollywood feature film.

Just the fact that RUSH gave him this interview tell me we'll see a Smashing Pumpkins/ Rush tour in the future. Geddy has already said that they might be reducing the 3-1/2 hour shows in the future so this would fit right in!

I wouldn't mind!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

If anyone opens for Rush ever again, it should be Redemption.

Anyone else, not interested. Not that Rush cares if I'm interested.

QUOTE (GeddyLeeFender @ Jun 11 2012, 06:36 PM)
QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jun 11 2012, 04:23 PM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jun 11 2012, 04:06 PM)
just tell me one thing, did they mention anything about the setlist?

Billy asked if they plan on doing all of Clockwork Angels and they said they're still trying to figure that out.....but that they are going to play AT LEAST a huge chunk of it ....

It was more of a technical interview.

Also, Geddy Lee really hates Neurotica rofl3.gif

Lol, I used to blare this song I bet my neighbors hated me. I actually really like it! laugh.gif

That part depressed me...I love Neurotica.

Would still love to see them pulling it off live...but hey, at least he acknowledged that he listened to it! cool.gif

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 12 2012, 01:16 PM)

Billy asked if they plan on doing all of Clockwork Angels and they said they're still trying to figure that out.....but that they are going to play AT LEAST a huge chunk of it ....

Lol, I used to blare this song I bet my neighbors hated me. I actually really like it! laugh.gif

Would still love to see them pulling it off live...but hey, at least he acknowledged that he listened to it! cool.gif

The Neurotica choruses do not hold up very well.

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jun 12 2012, 04:21 PM)

I understand that view point...but I personally never had an issue with it. The song is a Top 3 for me on RTB...I've always loved it.

Also, I think the music would really come off well live. I think a live version could actually bring more attention to it for those that aren't presently fans of it.

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jun 12 2012, 03:21 PM)

I love Neurotica I dont understand the hate?? sad.gif

QUOTE (GeddyLeeFender @ Jun 12 2012, 02:22 PM)

Mostly people hate the song because it sucks. tongue.gif

Ok, smilies-8579.png

ph34r.gif

Edited by rushgoober

Very cool interview. I'm just as intrigued by SoundCloud. Never saw it before this. Want to check more into it.

QUOTE (GeddyLeeFender @ Jun 12 2012, 04:22 PM)

It's chaotica, but basically it's suckotica.

QUOTE (Pound of Obscure @ Jun 12 2012, 03:30 PM)
If anyone opens for Rush ever again, it should be Redemption.

Great band.

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Jun 12 2012, 07:40 PM)

Yup, major skip track with me.

OOOOOH OOOOH OOH OOH!!!

laugh.gif

I think I'ma listen to Roll the Bones before the Clockwork Angels listening party tonight!

QUOTE (wilb1972 @ Jun 12 2012, 07:25 AM)
I found it very interesting that Geddy commented on Neurotica. Not just that he would comment on not relating to it today - but the fact that he was listening to somewhat obscure older songs. As if he was scouring the back catalog and considering what they could pull off with conviction. I suspect there will be some huge surprises in the setlist this time around!

I thought the same thing. But I like Neurotica, its one of the better tunes on RTB to me. Was hoping this would mean they would play it, but from Ged's reaction, guess not. sad.gif

And I agree about Sabastian Bach, but I like Jack Black, I get what his shtick is all about, so it was okay with me. But Bach was annoying, especially when he gets so wet about being this huge fan and then not only misquotes "Circumstances" but then cites the wrong Ayn Rand book as the inspiration for 2112.

Black gets the pass for two reasons:

1. Tenacious D

2. You know that song he's humming air guitar to when he's entering the record store, right?....Jacob's f-ing Ladder! 1022.gif

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Jun 12 2012, 06:40 PM)

Haha well I love every second of it! The bass coming in..."you just don't get it what it is well your not really sure.." Top 3 off of roll the bones biggrin.gif

Edit: "The world is a cage for your impotent rage, but don't let it get to you" then Alex comes in so hard on his solo. You guys are missing out laugh.gif going for 2nd listen can't get enough wub.gif

Edited by GeddyLeeFender

Speaking of Billy i'm listening to Smashing Pumpkins Oceania right now - Itunes is allowing me to stream it free - First song is potent - 1022.gif - album is real good - can't wait until tuesdsay biggrin.gif Edited by alphseeker