Two mediocre songs on the album

cygnus_thegodofbalance

And those are Wish Them Well and Carnies. WTW because it's WAY too repetitive, and Carnies because it's just a wall of sound without any cohesion or linear guidance. It's just a mess. AND I think The Garden is vastly overrated on here. All in all though, a great album!

Caravan - 8/10

BU2B - 9/10

Clockwork Angels - 9/10

The Anarchist - 9/10 (great opening riff!)

Carnies - 6/10

Halo Effect - 7.5/10

Seven Cities of Gold - 7.5/10

The Wreckers - 9/10

Headlong Flight - 8.5/10

BU2B2 - 8/10

Wish Them Well - 7/10

The Garden - 8/10 (great, just overrated)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GeddyLeeFender @ Jun 10 2012, 05:55 PM)
Carnies is one of my favorites, im not hearing this "mess" everyone is talking about. I think that it is freaking awesome! comp26.gif

Carnies is a great song and Wish Them Well is a favorite of mine.

Sorry but I disagree with ya!

QUOTE (Snaked @ Jun 10 2012, 04:56 PM)
Carnies is one of my favorites, im not hearing this "mess" everyone is talking about. I think that it is freaking awesome!  comp26.gif

Hey, all the more to you! Different strokes wink.gif

Carnies is one of my favorites, im not hearing this "mess" everyone is talking about. I think that it is freaking awesome!  comp26.gif

I agree. Took a little longer for Carnies to sink in but once it did I love it. I've been fond of Wish Them Well from the get go. A RTB,T4E,CP vibe going on in that song.

QUOTE (cygnus_thegodofbalance @ Jun 10 2012, 05:03 PM)
I love the "iron wheels" chorus, but that's it. I've listened to this song 5 times now, and that's honestly the only part I remember from it. Everything else about it is so unmemorable and incoherent.

The music underneath the"sometimes the angels punish us" part reminds me so much of Power Windows. My fav part of the song.

QUOTE (cygnus_thegodofbalance @ Jun 10 2012, 05:52 PM)
And those are Wish Them Well and Carnies. WTW because it's WAY too repetitive, and Carnies because it's just a wall of sound without any cohesion or linear guidance. It's just a mess. AND I think The Garden is vastly overrated on here. All in all though, a great album!

Caravan - 8/10
BU2B - 9/10
Clockwork Angels - 9/10
Carnies - 6/10
Halo Effect - 7.5/10
The Wreckers - 9/10
Headlong Flight - 8.5/10
BU2B2 - 8/10
Wish Them Well - 7/10

to me, 8 or 9 out of 10 means it should become a perennial song to be played on tour a la TSOR, FW, TS, etc... Are you saying that 5 or 6 songs should be played on most tours from now on?

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Jun 10 2012, 05:12 PM)

Caravan - 8/10
BU2B - 9/10
Clockwork Angels - 9/10
Carnies - 6/10
Halo Effect - 7.5/10
The Wreckers - 9/10
Headlong Flight - 8.5/10
BU2B2 - 8/10
Wish Them Well - 7/10

to me, 8 or 9 out of 10 means it should become a perennial song to be played on tour a la TSOR, FW, TS, etc... Are you saying that 5 or 6 songs should be played on most tours from now on?

Who said anything about how many they should play on tour? That's irrelevant. But I honestly wouldn't mind if they played all of it on the upcoming tour. I love all the songs that much.

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (alphseeker @ Jun 10 2012, 06:25 PM)
7 cities of gold doesn't do anything for me - confused13.gif - but i'll give it a few more dozen listens and maybe warm up to it

Seven Cities was one of the first songs I connected with.

Spin it a few more times and see what happens smile.gif

Clockwork Angels, Carnies, and Seven Cities of Gold are all songs you have to work for.....they've taken numerous listens to fully "get" but the payoff is awesome

The Wreckers, Wish them Well, Halo Effect, and The Garden are more accessible and catchy

The Anarchist is just freaking perfect. Beginning to think that one may be the gem of the album....it rocks and at the same time has hooks....

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jun 10 2012, 05:44 PM)
The Anarchist is just freaking perfect. Beginning to think that one may be the gem of the album....it rocks and at the same time has hooks....

yes.gif I cannot express enough love for this song! The first time I heard it, I didn't get it, but then I listened to it again and it's just been smacking me in the face ever since! bitchslap.gif

Forgive me for saying this, but Neil's drumming in this song sounds vaguely Avenged Sevenfold-esque. That's what it reminds me of, at least. It's loud, it's catchy, it's METAL 1022.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 10 2012, 07:01 PM)
Wish Them Well REALLY clicked with me yesterday.  The lyrics are really uplifting and positive!  Carnies is also a really good song.

The only thing close to mediocre for me so far is BU2B2.

goodpost.gif Cant wait to get the real album! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Edited by GeddyLeeFender

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 10 2012, 07:01 PM)
Wish Them Well REALLY clicked with me yesterday. The lyrics are really uplifting and positive! Carnies is also a really good song.

The only thing close to mediocre for me so far is BU2B2.

Yeah, Wish Them Well is a keeper. Love the lyrics and the melodies.

QUOTE (cygnus_thegodofbalance @ Jun 10 2012, 06:22 PM)
QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Jun 10 2012, 05:12 PM)

Caravan - 8/10
BU2B - 9/10
Clockwork Angels - 9/10
Carnies - 6/10
Halo Effect - 7.5/10
The Wreckers - 9/10
Headlong Flight - 8.5/10
BU2B2 - 8/10
Wish Them Well - 7/10

Who said anything about how many they should play on tour? That's irrelevant. But I honestly wouldn't mind if they played all of it on the upcoming tour. I love all the songs that much.

I said something about playing it on a tour to answer your question. I gave you my definition of what a 9 or 10 is which explains the relevancy to the topic. I thought that was clear in my post but maybe not.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 10 2012, 06:29 PM)
I'd contend there are a couple lesser songs on CA (which ones those are is changing a bit), but all of them work well in the context of the album...so all is good. Very strong record.

I feel the same way. Even BU2B2, which barely qualifies as a song, has a place because it advances the story - and on a concept album, that counts for a lot. Even still, I haven't skipped it once yet when it has come on.

QUOTE (cygnus_thegodofbalance @ Jun 10 2012, 04:52 PM)

Caravan - 8/10
BU2B - 9/10
Clockwork Angels - 9/10
Carnies - 6/10
Halo Effect - 7.5/10
The Wreckers - 9/10
Headlong Flight - 8.5/10
BU2B2 - 8/10
Wish Them Well - 7/10

I think you're over rated on here! Carnies kicks serious ass! IS suppose to sound cluttered. Its a Carnival Setting!

rage.gif

The Garden Is simply excelent! Rush has broken new ground on this one! Last thing you broke was through the toilet paper when you were wiping your @ss after writing this thread!

rofl3.gif z7shysterical.gif icon_really_happy_guy.gif

You should give Carnies a few more listens and see if it grows on you. It's a pretty good song with some nice musical changes going on during it. And yes, The Garden is good but extremely overrated on here so far.