I Don't Care What Anybody Says

presto123

QUOTE (cygnus_thegodofbalance @ Jun 10 2012, 05:04 PM)
QUOTE (Snaked @ Jun 10 2012, 04:59 PM)
One point I will make in the CA vs. 2112 debate is this...

2112 dosen't have anything that even remotely resembles The Garden.

That being said I'm not ready to say CA is better than 2112.. ask me in a year and I'll let'cha know.

But CA doesn't have anything that remotely resembles 2112...

Well... except for those parts in the title track where they recycle the riff from Grand Finale. wink.gif

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (malnar @ Jun 10 2012, 05:13 PM)
QUOTE (cygnus_thegodofbalance @ Jun 10 2012, 05:04 PM)
QUOTE (Snaked @ Jun 10 2012, 04:59 PM)
One point I will make in the CA vs. 2112 debate is this...

2112 dosen't have anything that even remotely resembles The Garden.

That being said I'm not ready to say CA is better than 2112.. ask me in a year and I'll let'cha know.

But CA doesn't have anything that remotely resembles 2112...

Well... except for those parts in the title track where they recycle the riff from Grand Finale. wink.gif

Well, yeah laugh.gif

Apples and Oranges...

2112 has that youthful anger and energy that can never be matched. It's a moment captured in time that will always be special to all of us. We have too much emotional attachment to those albums in that period for most of us to make a fair and unbiased judgment. Perhaps some of the newer and younger Rush fans that have recently jumped on board would probably be better judges...

I personally feel Clockwork Angels is better from start to finish. Yes, I'm excited and yes it's new and fresh, but I haven't been this excited about a new Rush album since Counterparts

And regarding Snakes and Arrows, I would say it was at about this point of fully taking Snakes in that I realized the flaws and that it was a little too weak and soft for Rush's standards...I was beginning to skip Spindrift, Faithless, Bravest Face, Good News First, etc....

But Clockwork Angels is on a totally different level!

I'm in the "2112 cannot be denied its historical significance but CA is definitely a better overall work" camp.

I was never a HUUUUUUUGGGGEEEE fan of 2112. In my 30 years of being a Rush fanboy it was always one of my less-played Rush LPs/CDs. Dare I say it, but I always thought the story of 2112 was a little... corny. I dunno, too much Rock 'N' Rule or Heavy Metal or other 70s-ish sci-fi-rock-n-roll-fantasy stuff or whatever for my tastes. But on a semi-other-hand, I think the story of Hemispheres is a little daft as well, but it's 18 minutes of some of my very favorite Rush music, story aside. I always thought Hemispheres (both the suite and the album) was superior to 2112 (both the suite and the album).

But I will say this: listening to Hemispheres or 2112 for the first time didn't evoke the strong emotional reactions that I had listening to CA for the first time.

CA is a top-fiver for me. My desert island list of 5 Rush albums would be Moving Pictures, Permanent Waves, Signals (all because I just think those albums are just plain freaking awesome), Presto (strong personal emotional attachment more than freaking awesome), and Clockwork Angels (back to just plain freaking awesome after several albums of "hey, this album's pretty cool... BUT...").

One of the hardest things about writing songs must be not repeating oneself. It's a hell of a lot harder to write good songs when you've already written LVS, Xanadu, Tom Sawyer, and over 150 (mostly good) songs. Thank the Watchmaker they aren't writing Bytor Part II.

The rocket sauce still flows readily.

QUOTE (Slack jaw gaze @ Jun 10 2012, 07:58 PM)
One of the hardest things about writing songs must be not repeating oneself. It's a hell of a lot harder to write good songs when you've already written LVS, Xanadu, Tom Sawyer, and over 150 (mostly good) songs. Thank the Watchmaker they aren't writing Bytor Part II.

The rocket sauce still flows readily.

Excellent point!

QUOTE (presto123 @ Jun 10 2012, 05:44 AM)
CA is way better than 2112. All it takes is more spins and more familiarity. 2112 was an important record in the bands history for sure but it has weaknesses. CA has few weaknesses once you give it a chance to sink in. I never would have believed it. 1022.gif This record just gets better and better the more you spin it.

But Hemispheres it is not.

QUOTE (troutman @ Jun 10 2012, 07:17 PM)
Just be thankful for 2112. If it wasn't for that. Chances are, we wouldn't even be discussing this. wink.gif 2.gif

Indeed. But that itself doesn't make it great. It's far more important than awesome in my estimation.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 10 2012, 04:22 PM)
QUOTE (troutman @ Jun 10 2012, 07:17 PM)
Just be thankful for 2112. If it wasn't for that. Chances are, we wouldn't even be discussing this.  wink.gif  2.gif

Indeed. But that itself doesn't make it great. It's far more important than awesome in my estimation.

Yeah well,

It's great in my book. If it wasn't for 2112. I never would have heard ATWAS back in 76'. And that my friend. Would have been a shame! biggrin.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (Bangster of Goats @ Jun 10 2012, 07:39 PM)
I'm in the "2112 cannot be denied its historical significance but CA is definitely a better overall work" camp.

I was never a HUUUUUUUGGGGEEEE fan of 2112. In my 30 years of being a Rush fanboy it was always one of my less-played Rush LPs/CDs. Dare I say it, but I always thought the story of 2112 was a little... corny. I dunno, too much Rock 'N' Rule or Heavy Metal or other 70s-ish sci-fi-rock-n-roll-fantasy stuff or whatever for my tastes. But on a semi-other-hand, I think the story of Hemispheres is a little daft as well, but it's 18 minutes of some of my very favorite Rush music, story aside. I always thought Hemispheres (both the suite and the album) was superior to 2112 (both the suite and the album).

But I will say this: listening to Hemispheres or 2112 for the first time didn't evoke the strong emotional reactions that I had listening to CA for the first time.

CA is a top-fiver for me. My desert island list of 5 Rush albums would be Moving Pictures, Permanent Waves, Signals (all because I just think those albums are just plain freaking awesome), Presto (strong personal emotional attachment more than freaking awesome), and Clockwork Angels (back to just plain freaking awesome after several albums of "hey, this album's pretty cool... BUT...").

goodpost.gif

I was driving with a very good friend/fellow Rushian-Rat-whatever a few weeks ago and we put on "Hemispheres" and I said something to the effect of "Gawd if this isn't the most pretentious piece of music ever! . . . Not to say I don't love it with all my heart!"

Hemispheres > Moving Pictures > Permanent Waves> A Farwell to Kings> Clockwork Angels> Signals > Power Windows > Hold Your Fire> Grace Under Pressue> 2112

There you have it! This is how I see it the top 10 right now!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Tears is a slow one, but everything else is all kinds of kick ass for me. Those vocals by a young vibrant Geddy in the chorus of Lessons, yeah sorry that alone just gets my blood running faster than anything on CA, and that's not even close to being the best track on that album which of course is the ridiculous opener.

CA is a very strong album for a very old and aging band, but Im not going to get stupid and start comparing it to albums like 2112 and Moving Pictures. Come on now.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 10 2012, 08:31 PM)
Tears is a slow one, but everything else is all kinds of kick ass for me. Those vocals by a young vibrant Geddy in the chorus of Lessons, yeah sorry that alone just gets my blood running faster than anything on CA, and that's not even close to being the best track on that album which of course is the ridiculous opener.

CA is a very strong album for a very old and aging band, but Im not going to get stupid and start comparing it to albums like 2112 and Moving Pictures. Come on now.

It's fresh, that's why everyone is calling it the best in 30 years...blah.. etc...etc....In the long run CA doesn't stand a chance ranking up there with the classics amongst the majority of fans.....

I really don't care what a majority of fans think or not. I'm no less convinced I feel a certain way because the masses aren't behind me. biggrin.gif Simply like what you like. My favorite album is Moving Pictures. Hardly a daring choice, but it's their best album to me, so there ya go. Counterparts is #2. Almost NO ONE would agree with that. Who cares? I like it. Edited by Presto-digitation

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jun 10 2012, 10:34 PM)

It's fresh, that's why everyone is calling it the best in 30 years...blah.. etc...etc....In the long run CA doesn't stand a chance ranking up there with the classics amongst the majority of fans.....

rofl3.gif I love when people use the word 'classic' as if by some product of magic over 30 years, the albums from 2112 to MP have somehow become unmatchable ever, by anything because they are so perfect.

Come on, people, they're just albums. wacko.gif

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Jun 10 2012, 10:52 PM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jun 10 2012, 10:34 PM)

rofl3.gif I love when people use the word 'classic' as if by some product of magic over 30 years, the albums from 2112 to MP have somehow become unmatchable ever, by anything because they are so perfect.

Come on, people, they're just albums. wacko.gif

Killjoy. tongue.gif