Holy Smoke

LeaveMyThingAlone

It just hit me like a ton of bricks

I'm on day 6 of thoroughly taking this album in and have pretty much got all the songs in my head at this point. This is when I typically take a Rush album and begin to piece together the songs I skip and the songs I love since I know them so well...

Previously, I had felt the middle part of the album was a little weaker but I have just "gotten" Halo Effect, Seven Cities, and Carnies. They have hit me hard as EXCELLENT songs and it is beginning to hit me what a phenomenal album this is.

I actually think it has met my lofty expectations and every second is gold.

This album WILL hold up for me as a classic that has surpassed Counterparts as the best album wince MP and may ultimately surpass some of that early stuff...and I don't say that lightly

Can't wait for the vinyl I ordered on Amazon and can't wait to pick up the CD Tuesday. And I just picked up my tickets for the Anaheim show. 3rd Row-Geddy's side

Thank you Rush!

Edited by LeaveMyThingAlone

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jun 9 2012, 10:34 AM)
It just hit me like a ton of bricks

I'm on day 6 of thoroughly taking this album in and have pretty much got all the songs in my head at this point. This is when I typically take a Rush album and begin to piece together the songs I skip and the songs I love since I know them so well...

Previously, I had felt the middle part of the album was a little weaker but I have just "gotten" Halo Effect, Seven Cities, and Carnies. They have hit me hard as EXCELLENT songs and it is beginning to hit me what a phenomenal album this is.

I actually think it has met my lofty expectations and every second is gold.

This album WILL hold up for me as a classic that has surpassed Counterparts as the best album wince MP and may ultimately surpass some of that early stuff...and I don't say that lightly

Can't wait for the vinyl I ordered on Amazon and can't wait to pick up the CD Tuesday. And I just picked up my tickets for the Anaheim show. 3rd Row-Geddy's side

Thank you Rush!

1022.gif 2.gif trink39.gif

Got it this Morning and already getting it which is a rarity with me and new Rush. I think the release of BU2B, Caravan and finally Headlong helped.

I am loving this feels like the old days when I first got into them.

wub.gif just love em 2.gif

QUOTE (HeadlongMark @ Jun 9 2012, 01:27 PM)
I'm telling you there are no duds on this album. Even the weaker Wish Them Well is awesome especially with it's message.

Yeah, that song (outside BU2B2, which is in its own category) is my low point and still has a good two or three things I really enjoy about it....so, yes, a strong effort!

for me it is just amazing - i personally have not felt this way about a rush album for many many years.

like others have said in other threads, i got goosebump moments when listening to it.

it is one of those albums that has made me sit down in front of my hi-f- and listen while looking at the glorious internal hugh syme artwork and reading the lyrics - again something i have not done for a long time with a rush album.

glorious stuff

d

I haven't heard more than the 3 releases, but based on those and the feedback I've seen, I wonder if this is the follow-up to Moving Pictures?

This album is getting better and better with each listen. I just can't stop listening to it. Everytime I listen to it I discover stuff I hadn't heard before. This is a true masterpiece.

CA is one of the very best Rush albums ever. The guys deserve so much respect for making an album as inspiring and fresh sounding as this at their age and at this point in their career. Nick deserves a thank you too for his excellent production work.

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jun 9 2012, 01:11 PM)
Halo Effect may be my favorite right now, and a few days ago I thought it was one of the worst. Just awesome

Halo Effect is great!

The album was really good on my first listen. For me if an album doesn't sound good the first time around it never will.

I've decided not to listen a second time until I get the actual CD...Already threw out my illegal disc of MP3's.

Edited by Majestyk

I've just listened to the streaming versions of each song and I'm sad to say they've really bombed this last attempt to create something special. Each directionless mess-of-a-song really only sounds like a variation of the other, all with that repetitive downbeat, brooding/bleating feel, stuck in an aural pre-migraine-inducing vocal trough. Guitar is schizophrenic, unstructured, and lacks any cohesion whatsoever. What is so fascinating to them about this style of music?? I'm bitterly disappointed. They'll be in this dark vein for the rest of their "creative" career, imo. Edited by GeminiRising79

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Jun 9 2012, 04:48 PM)
I've just listened to the streaming versions of each song and I'm sad to say they've really bombed this last attempt to create something special. Each directionless mess-of-a-song really sounds like a variation of the other, all with that repetitive downbeat, brooding/bleating feel stuck in an aural pre-migraine-inducing vocal trough. Guitar is schizophrenic, unstructured, and lacks any cohesion whatsoever. What is so fascinating to them about this style of music?? I'm bitterly disappointed. They'll be in this dark vein for the rest of their "creative" career, imo.

bekloppt.gif Wish you well!

QUOTE (Merely Space @ Jun 9 2012, 10:55 PM)
I've just listened to the streaming versions of each song and I'm sad to say they've really bombed this last attempt to create something special.  Each directionless mess-of-a-song really sounds like a variation of the other, all with that repetitive downbeat, brooding/bleating feel stuck in an aural pre-migraine-inducing vocal trough.  Guitar is schizophrenic, unstructured, and lacks any cohesion whatsoever.  What is so fascinating to them about this style of music??  I'm bitterly disappointed. They'll be in this dark vein for the rest of their "creative" career, imo.

What did I know?

Fool that I was

Little by little, I learned

you should give the album (the story and the whole concept) more time. It's the ultimate growing Clockwork Universe.

QUOTE (greyfriar @ Jun 9 2012, 06:22 PM)
QUOTE (Merely Space @ Jun 9 2012, 10:55 PM)
I've just listened to the streaming versions of each song and I'm sad to say they've really bombed this last attempt to create something special.  Each directionless mess-of-a-song really sounds like a variation of the other, all with that repetitive downbeat, brooding/bleating feel stuck in an aural pre-migraine-inducing vocal trough.  Guitar is schizophrenic, unstructured, and lacks any cohesion whatsoever.  What is so fascinating to them about this style of music??  I'm bitterly disappointed. They'll be in this dark vein for the rest of their "creative" career, imo.

What did I know?

Fool that I was

Little by little, I learned

you should give the album (the story and the whole concept) more time. It's the ultimate growing Clockwork Universe.

Don't worry. That's just the resident troll.

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Jun 9 2012, 05:48 PM)
I've just listened to the streaming versions of each song and I'm sad to say they've really bombed this last attempt to create something special. Each directionless mess-of-a-song really only sounds like a variation of the other, all with that repetitive downbeat, brooding/bleating feel, stuck in an aural pre-migraine-inducing vocal trough. Guitar is schizophrenic, unstructured, and lacks any cohesion whatsoever. What is so fascinating to them about this style of music?? I'm bitterly disappointed. They'll be in this dark vein for the rest of their "creative" career, imo.

PUHLEEZE give this a few more listens. While I respect your opinion, I really want you to give this at least 4 listens before you bail.

Every time I have heard this it gets sweeter and more understandable, and I dare say it is the best effort since Power Windows, and might even be possibly the best effort since Moving Pictures as a whole album is concerned.

And the thing is, most everyone I know who has heard this agrees. This is totally surprising. Never has there been such cohesion regarding a new release between me and my friends.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (vital signz @ Jun 9 2012, 05:30 PM)
QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Jun 9 2012, 05:48 PM)
I've just listened to the streaming versions of each song and I'm sad to say they've really bombed this last attempt to create something special.  Each directionless mess-of-a-song really only sounds like a variation of the other, all with that repetitive downbeat, brooding/bleating feel, stuck in an aural pre-migraine-inducing vocal trough.  Guitar is schizophrenic, unstructured, and lacks any cohesion whatsoever.  What is so fascinating to them about this style of music??  I'm bitterly disappointed. They'll be in this dark vein for the rest of their "creative" career, imo.

While I respect your opinion

Do you really? Have you read his opinions?

I've just listened to the streaming versions of each song and I'm sad to say they've really bombed this last attempt to create something special. Each directionless mess-of-a-song really only sounds like a variation of the other, all with that repetitive downbeat, brooding/bleating feel, stuck in an aural pre-migraine-inducing vocal trough. Guitar is schizophrenic, unstructured, and lacks any cohesion whatsoever. What is so fascinating to them about this style of music?? I'm bitterly disappointed. They'll be in this dark vein for the rest of their "creative" career, imo.

So glad I do not have your ears lol! Sucks to be you rofl3.gif

QUOTE (GeddyLeeFender @ Jun 9 2012, 07:17 PM)
I've just listened to the streaming versions of each song and I'm sad to say they've really bombed this last attempt to create something special.  Each directionless mess-of-a-song really only sounds like a variation of the other, all with that repetitive downbeat, brooding/bleating feel, stuck in an aural pre-migraine-inducing vocal trough.  Guitar is schizophrenic, unstructured, and lacks any cohesion whatsoever.  What is so fascinating to them about this style of music??  I'm bitterly disappointed. They'll be in this dark vein for the rest of their "creative" career, imo.

So glad I do not have your ears lol! Sucks to be you rofl3.gif

Yeah....so glad I dont think like him....how it would suck to be disappointed after such a wait.