Nick Raskulinecz

Terrapin

Absolutely dreadful "Producer" Why is he a producer? Who is he? Why are the Rush boys putting their collective faith in this compression happy, grunge loving idiot?

Terry Brown anyone?

Every "producer" since has been a mistake, hence the continual search.

Perhaps Terry is the Watchmaker...

Couldn't be any worse.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jun 5 2012, 09:23 PM)
You know, Terry Brown really raised the bar for the entire music industry since he produced Signals... oh, wait...

Also, Broon had already solidified his legacy with Exit Stage Left's muddy mix and numerous studio overdubs biggrin.gif

Seriously, I appreciate what Broon did for the band (especially convincing them to go back into the studio to record Moving Pictures). But Booujzhe has my upmost respect and gratitude for helping get Rush back to the top of their game.

QUOTE (Terrapin @ Jun 5 2012, 09:17 PM)
Absolutely dreadful "Producer" Why is he a producer? Who is he? Why are the Rush boys putting their collective faith in this compression happy, grunge loving idiot?

Terry Brown anyone?

Couldn't be any worse.

He's good enough for my favorite musicians, RUSH. What else is there?

You're not hiring him.

It's not your band.

It's not your studio or your album.

You're not affiliated with RUSH in a creative or professional manner.

Your opinion on their staff and collaborations is meaningless. Irrelevant. And quite moronic because you think it matters what you think.

QUOTE (ThinkingBig @ Jun 5 2012, 09:52 PM)

Terry Brown anyone?

Couldn't be any worse.

He's good enough for my favorite musicians, RUSH. What else is there?

You're not hiring him.

It's not your band.

It's not your studio or your album.

You're not affiliated with RUSH in a creative or professional manner.

Your opinion on their staff and collaborations is meaningless. Irrelevant. And quite moronic because you think it matters what you think.

This. goodpost.gif

Why do I always have to correct people on the role of a producer and engineer? Yes the lines can get blurred sometimes but usually a producer is more involved in song arrangements and ideas and getting a PERFORMANCE out of the band while the engineer is more responsible for how the record sounds sonically. Although Nick did mix this record.

Nick R. is probably the most hands on producer they have ever had as far as song and arrangement ideas. I give him a ton of credit for this record being so good. Just like with Counterparts. People want to give Peter Collins the credit for how good that record sounds but in reality it was mostly Kevin "Caveman" Shirley. They should never have went away from Shirley. He blows Chycki out of the water and then some.

Terry Brown anyone?

Couldn't be any worse.

Man, am I happy I dont think like you!

Im not a big fan of his because he's more of what I refer to as a safe producer. He's not very creative, kind of a school taught producer/engineer that just doesnt do anything too out there which is why standard issue rock bands like Foo Fighters love him, but the truth is he's just a solid producer and knows how to make albums sound good.

I always wished Rush would go with a guy with some serious balls, like Rick Rubin. They tried to get Rick I think for S&A but wasnt available. That guy is a real artist producer and does all kinds of weird shit with bands which I felt like Rush could really benefit from, but they couldnt get him due to a schedule conflict. But Nick is better than what we got with VT which was Rush trying to produce themselves which was a disaster.

QUOTE (deslock @ Jun 5 2012, 08:49 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jun 5 2012, 09:23 PM)
You know, Terry Brown really raised the bar for the entire music industry since he produced Signals... oh, wait...

Also, Broon had already solidified his legacy with Exit Stage Left's muddy mix and numerous studio overdubs biggrin.gif

Seriously, I appreciate what Broon did for the band (especially convincing them to go back into the studio to record Moving Pictures). But Booujzhe has my upmost respect and gratitude for helping get Rush back to the top of their game.

I respect Terry Brown as a producer and all indications are he's a really good guy but this idea that some people have that bringing back Terry Brown will make things sound like they did in the 70s is just naive as can be. I don't even take this post seriously enough to explain this except that I know other people have said the same thing for ages. It's completely irrational. People just make associations that are irrelevant. If the first 8 albums all had blue covers people would be saying they should have blue covers again. It's really that silly.

The band sounded the way they did because they wrote that music and they were in that era. When Terry Brown didn't want to go into keyboards and electronic drums the band didn't say "Ok, Terry, we'll do what you say", they said we're doing this because we want to do this, period. Plus, as was already mentioned his last two albums from a production standpoint were pretty bad, ESL and Signals. Totally dead and flat like you're hearing them through a pillow.

Plus, he hasn't been exactly been in extreme demand since he split with Rush as was also stated. When people want him really all they want is some connection to the old days. If you think a modern Terry Brown album would sound like A Farewell to Kings sonically for example you're out of your mind.

Think about this, Peter Collins produced Power Windows and Hold Your Fire, 80s-sounding as they could possibly be. Then he came back and produced Counterparts and Test For Echo. The first pair of albums couldn't be any more different than the second pair in terms of production and sonics with the same producer.

This whole idea is so silly I really didn't even need to explain all that, I guess. As I said earlier, some people just want it to still be 1977. That's fine, I can be nostalgic too but you're grasping at things that don't make any sense.

Edited by snowdog2112

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 5 2012, 07:58 PM)
Im not a big fan of his because he's more of what I refer to as a safe producer. He's not very creative, kind of a school taught producer/engineer that just doesnt do anything too out there which is why standard issue rock bands like Foo Fighters love him, but the truth is he's just a solid producer and knows how to make albums sound good.

I always wished Rush would go with a guy with some serious balls, like Rick Rubin. They tried to get Rick I think for S&A but wasnt available. That guy is a real artist producer and does all kinds of weird shit with bands which I felt like Rush could really benefit from, but they couldnt get him due to a schedule conflict. But Nick is better than what we got with VT which was Rush trying to produce themselves which was a disaster.

goodpost.gif

I appreciate the balanced, levelheaded analysis.

Alright, I don't know how to put this..

But I kind of agree with OP? I wouldn't be as harsh. And I know it's not very popular here to say something negative against Nick R. He's a great guy (nice personality, seems to be really passionate about music and particularly Rush).

But I'm going to be honest, and say I do not like the sound of S&A and this album at all. Or at the very least, I think they could have sounded much better. I guess where I differ from OP is that I don't think the guy should be drawn, beaten and quartered. Sadly a lot of producers today record shit way too loud, and mix too loud. It's a common practice in the industry, and you can't just point fingers at Nick R.

I mean shit, be thankful this wasn't done by Jackknife Lee. God I hate his recent work. Anyway, I agree with those that say Nick R. is safe in some ways. But for me, I just can't stand how bloated and crappy the bass sounds on these records.

But that's just my own opinion. I'm also the kind of person that is annoyed that Rush has relied so much on heavy riffs (ever since Vapor Trails). And I don't think Nick R. (and his background) is really going to do much in terms of pushing them away from that. But then again, that's not really a fair criticism as that's the bands choice of how they write music. But I don't think it's necessarily a good match either to pair them together.

All these complaints aside, I still really really dig Clockwork Angels.

Edited by Mr. Henry Gale

Terry Brown anyone?

Couldn't be any worse.

You're entitled...

...to be wrong, to be tone deaf, to have poor taste, to not know what the hell you're talking about, etc.

I find that every producer they've had so far have had their good points and bad.

Take Terry Brown.

He produced all of the heavier hard edge Rush records, up to Signals, where he botched it big time and did brutal. Why? Because he's not a synths guy and had no clue.

Then comes Collins, and Grace Under Pressure. BEAUTIFUL! Now you've got your solid 80's synth era Rush at their best quality.

Counterparts rolls around and Rush wants to go back to Hard sound. Uh oh, Collins blows balls at this, another ****ed up album. Great.... Test for Echo wasn't terrible sounding but still probably not his area.

Enter...paul northfield? what the....."lets turn up the Db beyond the walls and have a distorted record. MMMM!" WELLLP You're fired.

Enter Nick. Or "Nic" w/e the hell his name is.

"Let's make you guys sound as close to Foo Fighters as I can." HELL NO! Cut it out.

Nic hasn't done anything horribly bad to Rush's sound so far. Having said that, he hasn't made it sound any better either. It's generic at best. The music is there, and amazing, but their sound is certainly lacking.

QUOTE (UltimoGuitarist @ Jun 5 2012, 10:42 PM)
I find that every producer they've had so far have had their good points and bad.

Take Terry Brown.

He produced all of the heavier hard edge Rush records, up to Signals, where he botched it big time and did brutal. Why? Because he's not a synths guy and had no clue.

Then comes Collins, and Grace Under Pressure. BEAUTIFUL! Now you've got your solid 80's synth era Rush at their best quality.

Counterparts rolls around and Rush wants to go back to Hard sound. Uh oh, Collins blows balls at this, another ****ed up album. Great.... Test for Echo wasn't terrible sounding but still probably not his area.

Enter...paul northfield? what the....."lets turn up the Db beyond the walls and have a distorted record. MMMM!" WELLLP You're fired.

"Let's make you guys sound as close to Foo Fighters as I can." HELL NO! Cut it out.

Nic hasn't done anything horribly bad to Rush's sound so far. Having said that, he hasn't made it sound any better either. It's generic at best. The music is there, and amazing, but their sound is certainly lacking.

Peter Henderson produced GUP, not Collins. And if you think Counterparts is poorly produced I just don't know what to say.

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Jun 5 2012, 09:46 PM)
QUOTE (UltimoGuitarist @ Jun 5 2012, 10:42 PM)

Take Terry Brown.

Peter Henderson produced GUP, not Collins. And if you think Counterparts is poorly produced I just don't know what to say.

goodpost.gif on both counts. I'd say Counterparts is one of Rush's best-sounding records.

Edited by CrossedSignals