Top Posters In This Topic

OK...

which wise guy chose no. 1 ? ?

angry.gif rage.gif

no.gif new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

but lol anyway.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 4 2012, 06:33 PM)
QUOTE (adace1 @ Jun 4 2012, 06:29 PM)

Besides The Garden, it doesn't feel like there's much progression or innovation over the last two albums. It's not that VT and SaA are bad albums. It's just that after all the years the band spent away from their classic sound, I thought that this album might be a true return to form. Unfortunately, the songs on CA lack the dynamic feel of the 70's material and most don't really seem all that iconic. What happened to all the odd time signatures and tightness of the band? I can't pick out one moment on the album where Neil or Alex really shine in terms of technicality and dynamicism. On a more positive note, Geddy's vocals sound just fine to me and songs like HF and Wish Them Well would make fine additions to the band's setlist. Also, the production is everything you'd want on a modern hard rock album. Overall, CA is definitely better than the band's late 80's and 90's material, but a lot of it is still bland.

I definitely agree about the iconic comment. There is basically no chance of any of these songs being beloved like stuff like Limelight for examples. It's just not happening, but those guys were in their late 20s at the time!

For a band where the guys are pushing 60, you really cant expect more than what they put together here, which is why Im pleased enough with it.

They simply dont have it in them to be able to put an album together with a bunch of radio hits. They're old men now and they did the best they could with it which at this point after so many albums is plenty good enough for me. I dont need epic memorable songs like Jacobs Ladder, Subdivisions, etc.. We already got those, so this is just something different to ad to their catalog of music.

Old men confused13.gif Give me a break 2.gif

QUOTE (canadianice @ Jun 4 2012, 07:19 PM)

Besides The Garden, it doesn't feel like there's much progression or innovation over the last two albums. It's not that VT and SaA are bad albums. It's just that after all the years the band spent away from their classic sound, I thought that this album might be a true return to form. Unfortunately, the songs on CA lack the dynamic feel of the 70's material and most don't really seem all that iconic. What happened to all the odd time signatures and tightness of the band? I can't pick out one moment on the album where Neil or Alex really shine in terms of technicality and dynamicism. On a more positive note, Geddy's vocals sound just fine to me and songs like HF and Wish Them Well would make fine additions to the band's setlist. Also, the production is everything you'd want on a modern hard rock album. Overall, CA is definitely better than the band's late 80's and 90's material, but a lot of it is still bland.

I definitely agree about the iconic comment. There is basically no chance of any of these songs being beloved like stuff like Limelight for examples. It's just not happening, but those guys were in their late 20s at the time!

For a band where the guys are pushing 60, you really cant expect more than what they put together here, which is why Im pleased enough with it.

They simply dont have it in them to be able to put an album together with a bunch of radio hits. They're old men now and they did the best they could with it which at this point after so many albums is plenty good enough for me. I dont need epic memorable songs like Jacobs Ladder, Subdivisions, etc.. We already got those, so this is just something different to ad to their catalog of music.

Old men confused13.gif Give me a break 2.gif

You're right, they're young.

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Jun 4 2012, 06:13 PM)
Way, way too soon.

I just downloaded, so it's wsay to soon! I haven't even heard it through once! So I hold my vote until my customary 5 listens. I can tell you it will be above 7!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (Mattp2112 @ Jun 4 2012, 04:39 PM)
Way, way too soon.

Agreed

+1

How on earth can you tell this early? I've listened to it twice and I'm nowhere near assigning even a preliminary numerical value to it. no.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 4 2012, 07:20 PM)
Way, way too soon.

Agreed

+1

How on earth can you tell this early? I've listened to it twice and I'm nowhere near assigning even a preliminary numerical value to it. no.gif

I've been listening to it all day tongue.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 4 2012, 08:20 PM)
Way, way too soon.

Agreed

+1

Exactly. It wouldn't be fair to rate it this quickly. I honestly do believe this will be in my top 5 though, but I want to wait for more listens before rating.

There are great songs on this album after one complete listen!

Caravan, BU2B, Headlong Flight, Clockwork Angels, The Wreckers, The Garden!

This is a great album!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Edited by losingit2k

Started my third time through and every songs is really growing on me! Specially Clockwork Angels and Seven Cities of Gold! At first I was like

confused13.gif then I was like smile.gif now I'm like 1022.gif Soon to be wub.gif !

This album is going in the right direction for me! When I heard the lead in the title track and yelled out..."Now this is 2.gif "!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Edited by losingit2k

I don't know? The Anarchist is sounding pretty epic to me right now.

Third time through, jumping around between songs. Every song has something to offer and they do all stand on their own! They really have done a great album! I GIVE IT A 9!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Edited by losingit2k

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 4 2012, 05:33 PM)

I get that... but to me, probably half of CA is better - to me - than Jacob's Ladder, Subdivisions and even Limelight. And 9/10ths of it is better than Tom Sawyer - again, to me. Everyone is going to say I'm crazy and that's fine... I just like what I like. The other songs are awesome but I like this new batch better.

After one listen, an easy 7 to 8 for me. But this is bearing in mind that at first listen, I did not really like Moving Pictures all that much. Given that, I see the real possibility of it rating 9.5 (in my personal ranking) in a week or so after many, many listens. I can never give it a 10, because I doubt there will ever be an album that I will love more than Hemispheres. This is really a great effort from the boys - I'm really excited about it.

1022.gif 2.gif trink39.gif

Listened to it once this morning, then on the way to see the Red Hot Chili Peppers in Columbus (I love em, but they kinda sucked tonight). Then listened once more on the long drive back. My initial reaction was also a "wtf?" type thing, then the whole time I wasn't hearing it, I was subconsciously replaying all these riffs and melodies in my head. The most recent time I listened to it on the way back, it was KILLER. Every. Last. Second. 1022.gif 2.gif

Loving The Anarchist, Carnies, Seven Cities of Gold, The Wreckers, and The Garden.

Awesome,incredible,fabulous,a moving masterpiece. It's up there with Tommy and musicals like Jesus Christ Superstar, and should have had a film to go with it.

At this moment I have it as a 7...not enough listens, and no critical listen in full fidelity (as opposed to a lossy mp3) yet...it took me a while to like S&A as well, now it's a top favorite.

A little too early to know where it stands in the grand scheme of things....

Caravan, BU2B and Headlong flight were already in my heavy rotation before the rest of CA. Now adding Clockwork Angels, The Wreckers, The Garden and Seven Cities of Gold. Every listen so far has been better than the last!

This album contains everything I like about RUSH, sonically, lyrically, complexity, melody and the ability to listen to the song with three different ears: guitar, bass and drum!!!

9!