Do you sample?

If a grocery store had samples out, do you eat them?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. If a grocery store had samples out, do you eat them?

• Yes
    • No
    • Depends on store

Noooo. I don't trust them. All those people, who knows who has been touching that food?

I have two family members though, that will make their way through Sam's Club on a Sunday like they're there for lunch - because they are. They plan to be there at 11:30am, nice and hungry, and their lunch is sample after sample after sample.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jun 1 2012, 05:39 PM)
Noooo. I don't trust them. All those people, who knows who has been touching that food?

I have two family members though, that will make their way through Sam's Club on a Sunday like they're there for lunch - because they are. They plan to be there at 11:30am, nice and hungry, and their lunch is sample after sample after sample.

Yeah, my wife and I avoid Sam's at lunchtime on the weekend. Too many toothless people thinking they are at a buffet

If it's something I like, then yes, I will sample it. Trying to get a sample of something before all the vultures get it is a bit tricky.

Not food, only Beer trink38.gif

Yes. If there is free food in front of me, I will eat it, no questions asked. laugh.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 2 2012, 01:37 PM)

Good point. I wine taste up and down the finger lakes of new york like no ones business. Heck, I live here so it's great for entertaining visitors on. Wine sampling does cost money, but only a couple bucks. And you learn what you like before buying the bottle and learn about the wines at the wineries. Lots of fun!

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Jun 1 2012, 07:04 PM)

Yeah, my wife and I avoid Sam's at lunchtime on the weekend. Too many toothless people thinking they are at a buffet

Oh god. A midday weekend at Costco will give one TREMENDOUS insights as to why some other nationalities think Americans are rude, fat, & greedy. I can't do Costco on weekends - the pushing and shoving for a bite of lasagna is just too stomach-turning.

I will take samples if they're being handed out in individual portions by people in gloves/hairnets. If it's just dumped in a basket or on a tray for everyone to stick their nasty hands into, no way.

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Jun 2 2012, 08:04 AM)

Imagine if there were free food samples at Wal-Mart during the Christmas shopping season. There would be a high number of fatalities due to the pushing, shoving, impatience, and greed. unsure.gif

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Jun 2 2012, 09:13 PM)

Good point. I wine taste up and down the finger lakes of new york like no ones business. Heck, I live here so it's great for entertaining visitors on. Wine sampling does cost money, but only a couple bucks. And you learn what you like before buying the bottle and learn about the wines at the wineries. Lots of fun!

I have done Wine samples myself in the Hamptons , after awhile it creeps up on you laugh.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 3 2012, 11:49 AM)
QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Jun 2 2012, 09:13 PM)

I have done Wine samples myself in the Hamptons , after awhile it creeps up on you laugh.gif

hanging out with the lacoste crowd are ya? tongue.gif

Not often, but I have on occasion. Wegman's puts the samples into little plastic cups, so no one besides the server and you touch it. There doesn't seem to be a huge demand for the samples like I'm hearing about here, either - no pushing and shoving (and Central New York is known for Black Friday trampling assaults, so if anyone would push and shove, it's people from here).

The best sample I got was a little cookbook with coupons along with a sample of Ortega Mexican food one Cinco de Mayo.

Nope...don't go to wall-fart or cost-co, or any of those kinda places.

...and on top of that, ya don't know where those server's hands have been........no chance. unsure.gif ohmy.gif scared.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jun 1 2012, 03:39 PM)

I would not eat samples if you paid me, for that very reason. Who knows how clean their hands and work area are? Who knows if they've cooked the food properly? Who knows how long the food has been out for!?

I have had food poisoning far too often to do this sort of stuff.

I don't know if you guys have seen this but at the grocery stores around here, they have little plastic domes set up with things like cheeses and meats from the deli area. I see people all the time scarfing these samples down like they haven't eaten in days. I shudder to think about how much bacteria is all over that stuff. Mmmmm... botchalism.

I am not spending an entire day hunched over a toilet in order to have some tasty niblet a random hairneted elderly person is doling out.

If there's a person supervising and there's nobody around and I'm actually interested in what they're giving away I'll try it and perhaps even look into trying it at home. Otherwise, never.