Artists who made it big

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ReRushed @ May 17 2012, 05:57 PM)
I can't fathom why Bon Jovi is as successful as they are. Their success simply baffles me.

Why? They write catchy sing along pop/rock anthems and they have a great guitar player and one of the best looking front men.(for the ladies) Can't really call these guys slouches on their instruments either.

QUOTE (Bastille Dave @ May 17 2012, 06:13 PM)
Just about 90-100% of mainstream music of the past decade and a half.

I agree. Modern music sucks.

Pop does blow, but some of the new Rock out there is very good.

came here to giggle about someone naming The Dead and the Stones...tee hee

I think you should delve a little bit into the history of American music, learn a bit about the blues, jazz, even Hawaiian music and Western Swing. Then you will know a little bit about rock and roll.

I guess I should stir it up a bit and add a name to the list for people to defend

The band that made me want to smash the radio. The band that goaded me to listen to punk, alt-country, jazz, classical, etc.... , my sincerest thanks to...

Boston

just, just nothing there

I don't think the Grateful Dead was ever big enough to ever be overrated, but I'm not to sure, Garcia died a year after I was born. My father has seen them over 12 times and the closest he got to getting high on their music was the second hand pot. And I enjoy their music too. Now there's three people you know that like the Grateful Dead & don't smoke weed.

I also think the Rolling Stones are a little overrated. I feel their stuff after Some Girls takes away from their greatness.

I'd like to put Bruce Springsteen up on the list. I never got his music, not sure why he's so popular. I could see somewhat why people would like him early in his career, but he's had his head way up his ass recently.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ May 17 2012, 05:57 PM)
I can't fathom why Bon Jovi is as successful as they are. Their success simply baffles me.

Actually I rather liked their first 3 albums. Don't listen to them a lot but not bad stuff. Runaway, Dead or Alive, Living on a Prayer, Dead or Alive were all good songs. Those first 3 albums (more so the first 2) had some good stuff on them. The 3rd one had most of the big hits but it was sort of weak other than those songs and maybe one or two others.

Saw them in concert once - ok show. Not great, just ok.

Have no big problems with them. Not a huge fan either (not even close to it).

I agree. Modern music sucks.

yes.gif Got to agree with this.

Basically anything that is rap or hip-hop that made it big falls into this category. Don't think any of it should have.

The Stones, Dead, Bruce & Eagles keep getting mentioned.

Dont agree that any of them fall into this category. I may not like some of their music (actually in the case of the Stones or Dead almost all of it - the others are generally ok) but I do think they don't really fall into this category. These groups generally were creative and produced some interesting / creative / stuff. Can't say the same of rap, hip-hop and most mainstream music since the early 90's.

Rap, pop, hip hop.

Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, and Nickelback in particular.

And NO ONE should be mentioning The Eagles, Rolling Stones, Boston, Springsteen, Grateful Dead, etc.

I don't personally like all of them and think the Rolling Stones are overrated, but they deserve to be big: they were creative and cared about their music. smile.gif

QUOTE (invisible airwave @ May 17 2012, 09:50 AM)

Agreed.

Nirvana, another band who should've never made it big, is to blame for the downfall of modern rock. Kurt's godawful, borderline mentally retarded lyrics and his shitty musicianship lowered the standard for what people consider acceptable in the modern rock world. If you doubt this, just think about it for a second. There was some pretty good stuff that sold well, got played on the radio and charted before Nirvana came and shit all over the modern rock world. Since then, modern rock has slowly gotten worse and worse and it's all because Kurt Cobain influenced the future generation of rock that it was OK to be mediocre. He started the trend and it continues to this day.

The only mainstream rock band that is trying to keep any sort of high standard today is the Foo Fighters. It's good to see that Dave Ghrol didn't follow in the footsteps of his former bandmate, you know being shitty at your craft is acceptable, and actually has some talent and writes good songs.

Edited by J2112YYZ

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ May 17 2012, 09:31 PM)

Agreed.

Nirvana, another band who should've never made it big, is to blame for the downfall of modern rock. Kurt's godawful, borderline mentally retarded lyrics and his shitty musicianship lowered the standard for what people consider acceptable in the modern rock world. If you doubt this, just think about it for a second. There was some pretty good stuff that sold well, got played on the radio and charted before Nirvana came and shit all over the modern rock world. Since then, modern rock has slowly gotten worse and worse and it's all because Kurt Cobain influenced the future generation of rock that it was OK to be mediocre. He started the trend and it continues to this day.

The only mainstream rock band that is trying to keep any sort of high standard today is the Foo Fighters. It's good to see that Dave Ghrol didn't follow in the footsteps of his former bandmate, you know being shitty at your craft being acceptable, and actually has some talent and writes good songs.

I totally disagree with this.

What's up with all the hate for hip hop? confused13.gif

People making generalizations like "all hip hop is overrated" just baffles me.

Someone who made it big and should not have...

Rick Springfield

WORST guitar player ever.

Edited by briremo

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 17 2012, 08:53 PM)
What's up with all the hate for hip hop? confused13.gif

Modern mainstream hip-hop sucks that's why there's so much hate for it. Look at some of the pioneer's of the genre. Where's todays version of Public Enemy, Run DMC, Ice-T or Dr. Dre? They're no where to be found in mainstream rap and all it is today are artists rapping about their money, cars and women. There's no message to it anymore like their used to be.

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ May 17 2012, 10:11 PM)
QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 17 2012, 08:53 PM)
What's up with all the hate for hip hop?  confused13.gif

Modern mainstream hip-hop sucks that's why there's so much hate for it. Look at some of the pioneer's of the genre. Where's todays version of Public Enemy, Run DMC, Ice-T or Dr. Dre? They're no where to be found in mainstream rap and all it is today are artists rapping about their money, cars and women. There's no message to it anymore like their used to be.

Agreed 100%!! But a few people basically said "all hip hop sucks". Seems like a pretty shortsighted opinion to me....

QUOTE (ReRushed @ May 17 2012, 08:37 PM)
QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ May 17 2012, 09:31 PM)

Agreed.

The only mainstream rock band that is trying to keep any sort of high standard today is the Foo Fighters. It's good to see that Dave Ghrol didn't follow in the footsteps of his former bandmate, you know being shitty at your craft being acceptable, and actually has some talent and writes good songs.

I totally disagree with this.

As a full time progger who loves complexity and lalalalalala whatnot, I admire Nirvana. Mainly because I grew up listening to them, but then I got burnt out. However, upon discovering prog, I saw renewed my interest in Nirvana. Sure, their music is not difficult to play. The other two musicians (and even Kurt) had a lot of talent though. But what Kurt did was inject a new attitude into the music world. It's not so much that complexity dwindled. While his influence spread to many mediocre bands, it also spread to some prog bands, and musicians in general. Pain of Salvation and Tool were around at that time, and have a similar sound. But they didn't fall into simplicity. They took that attitude and did something with it.

IMO, Kurt is not to blame. Even rap, which I detest, brought a new attitude to the music world. If everyone in mainstream culture chooses to take a derivative of that, fine, their loss. But the people who enjoy complexity will find inspiration in a new attitude and do more with it. Hmm, I wonder which band does that...

2.gif I think they're called?

QUOTE (metaldad @ May 17 2012, 06:49 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 17 2012, 06:57 AM)
The Grateful Dead is the best American band ever

You never fail to floor me

I can't think of a better one. I'd ask you to name an American band you thought was better than the Dead... but then you probably would. unsure.gif scared.gif tongue.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 18 2012, 12:14 AM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ May 17 2012, 06:49 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 17 2012, 06:57 AM)
The Grateful Dead is the best American band ever

You never fail to floor me

I can't think of a better one. I'd ask you to name an American band you thought was better than the Dead... but then you probably would. unsure.gif scared.gif tongue.gif

Aerosmith

Van Halen

Kiss

Journey

Eagles

ZZ Top

Guns n Roses

Nirvana

Alice In Chains

Lynard Skynard

Just to name a few. I could name at least a hundred more.

Edited by presto123