Playing songs from their first two albums live

Steel Rat

I know they brought back "Finding my Way" for R30 and "By-Tor" for Rio, and they've kind've always played "Working Man," but after looking at their setlist history today, I noticed something about Rush that may be an unremarkable phenomenon: They don't really play pre-Peart songs. They almost approach them as if they were cover songs.

I mean, I know they don't want to bring back a song from "Rush" or "Fly By Night" for every tour, because they're not as well known and might be boring to sit through for the audience - also Geddy's voice, of course. But most of the songs from "Rush" and "FBN" haven't been played in like thirty years, and I thought it would be interesting to note that. I wonder what the boys' thoughts on this are.

The last time they played "BB&B" was for the Signals tour, back in 1982, exactly 30 years ago.

Last time they played "Need Some Love" was the Fly By Night tour. 1975

I can't find if they've EVER played "Take a Friend" live.

Here Again = "Rush" tour, 1974

What You're Doing = All The World's A Stage tour, 1976

In The Mood = "Presto," 1990

No information on "Before and After"

Best I Can = All The World's a Stage, 1976

No information on "Making Memories" or "Rivendell."

Most strangely, they haven't even played "Fly By Night" since 1978.

I personally would be head-banging to any one of these if they played them live again, it would be a hugely welcome surprise. I wonder if they'll ever get to them before they retire. It would be sad if they went their entire career without ever playing "Before and After" live. sad.gif I like that song...

I'd love to hear a lot of these songs, too, like 'Fly By Night', 'Before and After', 'Here Again', and 'BB&B', not to mention 'Bastille Day' and 'Something for Nothing', but I don't think it's going to happen, and I think it's actually for the best.

Geddy sang these songs in his early 20s. He had a particular singing style then, which he doesn't have now. Simply, he wouldn't be able to sing them like we're familiar with, nor would he likely be able to comfortably sing that high. Would he try to sing the songs as they are, or drop down in key and sing in his middle range?

As much as I'd love to hear these songs live, I don't really want to hear them changed, whether with strained singing or a change in key. I'd rather give other, non-70's-singing-style songs a chance, like when 'Digital Man' was brought back for the S&A tour. Or many of the 80's songs. There's a lot of good stuff that doesn't get to see the light of the stage, and more in Geddy's singing comfort zone.

But you have a good point - they didn't give much love to these songs at the time! It would be great to have more awesome bootleg copies of these songs! tongue.gif

And, oh, imagine being at a concert at that time and hearing these songs live... wow! Man, that Geddy has a pair of lungs on him.

QUOTE (Mika @ May 10 2012, 08:23 PM)
I'd love to hear a lot of these songs, too, like 'Fly By Night', 'Before and After', 'Here Again', and 'BB&B', not to mention 'Bastille Day' and 'Something for Nothing', but I don't think it's going to happen, and I think it's actually for the best.

Geddy sang these songs in his early 20s. He had a particular singing style then, which he doesn't have now. Simply, he wouldn't be able to sing them like we're familiar with, nor would he likely be able to comfortably sing that high. Would he try to sing the songs as they are, or drop down in key and sing in his middle range?

As much as I'd love to hear these songs live, I don't really want to hear them changed, whether with strained singing or a change in key. I'd rather give other, non-70's-singing-style songs a chance, like when 'Digital Man' was brought back for the S&A tour. Or many of the 80's songs. There's a lot of good stuff that doesn't get to see the light of the stage, and more in Geddy's singing comfort zone.

But you have a good point - they didn't give much love to these songs at the time! It would be great to have more awesome bootleg copies of these songs! tongue.gif

And, oh, imagine being at a concert at that time and hearing these songs live... wow! Man, that Geddy has a pair of lungs on him.

"Pair of lungs on him" is the right expression! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I'd entertain the idea of them doing some sort of instrumental version of all the songs from "Rush" in chrono-order before they retire, sort've like a combination of the R30 intro and the fact that they played the whole Moving Pictures in order for the Time Machine tour. Judging from the song choices from the instrumental R30 intro (all songs they NEVER play live), it seems to me that Geddy would LOVE revisiting those ancient masterpieces as long as he didn't have to sing. tongue.gif

QUOTE (Steel Rat @ May 10 2012, 09:42 AM)
I know they brought back "Finding my Way" for R30 and "By-Tor" for Rio, and they've kind've always played "Working Man," but after looking at their setlist history today, I noticed something about Rush that may be an unremarkable phenomenon: They don't really play pre-Peart songs. They almost approach them as if they were cover songs.

I mean, I know they don't want to bring back a song from "Rush" or "Fly By Night" for every tour, because they're not as well known and might be boring to sit through for the audience - also Geddy's voice, of course. But most of the songs from "Rush" and "FBN" haven't been played in like thirty years, and I thought it would be interesting to note that. I wonder what the boys' thoughts on this are.

The last time they played "BB&B" was for the Signals tour, back in 1982, exactly 30 years ago.

I personally would be head-banging to any one of these if they played them live again, it would be a hugely welcome surprise. I wonder if they'll ever get to them before they retire. It would be sad if they went their entire career without ever playing "Before and After" live. sad.gif I like that song...

They certainly haven't "kind of always played Working Man". None of it was played from 1981 until 2002. That's a long time. Ok, technically it was still played on the Signals warm up "tour" which was still 95% of the previous tour and lasted about 10 days in early 1982. However, now that it's been on 3 of the last 4 tours I'm ready for it to go back into retirement. I love those old albums but their later stuff just holds up better and is more interesting to them. Plus, Geddy doesn't want to have to scream any more than necessary anymore.

Beneath, Between, & Behind is my fav! laugh.gif 1022.gif I love the ESL version best, so fun to play along with. Never get tired with it and i pray they bring it back (though highly unlikely fists crying.gif ).

Can you blame them?

The fan base may in general love these songs, but this is stuff they made when they were basically kids. I can't blame them for not exactly wanting to play it. Neil compared that stage of their development as a band to a kid's finger paintings I think.

Can you imagine having to create a replica of your less-than-best work every other night for a year? You'd burn out on it too.

QUOTE (Steel Rat @ May 10 2012, 04:01 PM)
I'd entertain the idea of them doing some sort of instrumental version of all the songs from "Rush" in chrono-order before they retire, sort've like a combination of the R30 intro and the fact that they played the whole Moving Pictures in order for the Time Machine tour. Judging from the song choices from the instrumental R30 intro (all songs they NEVER play live), it seems to me that Geddy would LOVE revisiting those ancient masterpieces as long as he didn't have to sing. tongue.gif

I like this idea! A lot of the early tunes are quite riff-heavy, and instantly recognizable with music only. A long musical medley would be a nice way to tie up all those older songs. And Geddy does seem to have a little bit more fun when he's not tied up with the mic... and the old tunes are before the keyboards came into play, too, so Ged can just rock out.... That's me, always thinking about the Gedster! GeddyFinal.gif

What songs could be included? How about:

-Finding My Way

-In the Mood

-Working Man

-Anthem

-Fly By Night

-Beneath, Between & Behind

-Bastille Day

-Lakeside Park

-parts of Lamneth

-Something for Nothing

Ah, that would glorious... toss in some 'Where's My Thing?' and 'Everyday Glory' and I'm a happy girl!

I could take those songs on a medley any day...there's a lot of riffing going on, a lot of room for Alex to shred. But I don't know if I could handle any of them played in full. They sound too simple when compared to the rest of the stuff they wrote through the years. The songs off the first album they played on the GUP DVD and ASOH sound very out of place in the setlist...

QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 10 2012, 04:12 PM)
Haven't they said on occasion that they're just not fans of that early material? That it was from a period they consider amateurish or something?

Yes, and I think this is the main reason for them not playing the early stuff. They just don't like it or like to play it. Plus Geddy's voice. I think it would be cool if they did a quick instrumental medly of some of the best early songs.

After the intermission, they could play the intro of 'Before And After' then go straight into 'Anthem'. A 5-6 minute instrumental medley of Caress of Steel material beginning and ending with 'Bastille Day' would also work for me. Edited by Silas Lang

QUOTE (Xanadude69 @ May 11 2012, 10:56 AM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 10 2012, 04:12 PM)
Haven't they said on occasion that they're just not fans of that early material? That it was from a period they consider amateurish or something?

Yes, and I think this is the main reason for them not playing the early stuff. They just don't like it or like to play it. Plus Geddy's voice. I think it would be cool if they did a quick instrumental medly of some of the best early songs.

R30.

QUOTE (Steel Rat @ May 10 2012, 10:42 AM)

In the Mood used to be a standard closer from 82 - 91.

Balloons falling from the ceiling.

I've always thought they should bring back In The Mood. Yeah it's a silly little ditty, but it was always great fun when Alex started playing that riff.

Maybe we will see some of those older songs on the R40 tour if there is one.

QUOTE (staunchally @ May 12 2012, 03:17 PM)
Entire songs or nothing. Medley's are a case of musical blueballs.

You'd love a medley and you know it. You'd take it over "Nothing" any day.