New Article on CA

losingit2k

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's looking like Nick R. is the best thing to happen to them since Terry Brown. I really love his attitude and the approach he's taken with them. From a lot of what I've read, including directly from the band themselves, a lot of the awesomeness we've gotten from them (and are soon to be getting) wouldn't be as awesome without Nick's direction.

As to the whole verse-chorus thing, I too would say you can't yet judge how accurate his statement is or not without hearing the whole album. But considering that he was, you know, the producer on the album, my bet is he knows what he's talking about and isn't just making things up.

One line in particular from the album review stands out in my mind regarding this, and it's something I thought for sure would have gotten you interested, Goobs:

The middle section is a sea of psychedelia - it's not outwardly trippy or retro, but it's disorienting, the aural equivalent of the light show in 2001: A Space Odyssey.

QUOTE (Shreddy Lee @ May 8 2012, 09:10 PM)
It's looking like Nick R. is the best thing to happen to them since Terry Brown. I really love his attitude and the approach he's taken with them. From a lot of what I've read, including directly from the band themselves, a lot of the awesomeness we've gotten from them (and are soon to be getting) wouldn't be as awesome without Nick's direction.

As to the whole verse-chorus thing, I too would say you can't yet judge how accurate his statement is or not without hearing the whole album. But considering that he was, you know, the producer on the album, my bet is he knows what he's talking about and isn't just making things up.

One line in particular from the album review stands out in my mind regarding this, and it's something I thought for sure would have gotten you interested, Goobs:

The middle section is a sea of psychedelia - it's not outwardly trippy or retro, but it's disorienting, the aural equivalent of the light show in 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Yeah, that line did sound pretty cool. Time will tell... trink39.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ May 9 2012, 06:50 AM)
I wish we were filming him so we could put it on YouTube.

Does this mean they filmed other parts of the making?

confused13.gif 653.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

I'm pretty sure it means that they wish they had filmed him so that they could have put it on YouTube.

biggrin.gif

It's looking like Nick R. is the best thing to happen to them since Terry Brown

I have to agree with this. He seems to be able to divide the fanboy in him and the producer in him and make all the right choices... It would be a daunting task for me I know, being a hardcore fan like Nick. How do you tell your musical idols "um, don't do that"? I'd be like, play men! Play! 1022.gif

But yea, Peter Collins was great, and I love what he did with them on PoW and CP ... but Nick seems to understand what Rush is really about. Peter Henderson would've just said, "I dunno, you decide!" and Rupert Hine would say, "Stop screaming Ged and start singing, and let's turn up the 'Wimp' to 11!" Nick seems to be able to create a nice aural palette around their music. I've said it before: I find S&A to be one of the band's weakest releases, but I love the 'sound' of it. Good production. Made me wish Nick had been around for VT.

2.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 8 2012, 11:11 PM)

When I read this I immediately thought of the quiet part in Hemispheres with the synth swells and "thunderbolts across the sky".

QUOTE (wilb1972 @ May 9 2012, 06:58 AM)
But yea, Peter Collins was great, and I love what he did with them on PoW and CP

Re-listened to CP yesterday and honestly I think that IS their best sounding album of all.

QUOTE (Del_Duio @ May 9 2012, 08:01 AM)
QUOTE (wilb1972 @ May 9 2012, 06:58 AM)
But yea, Peter Collins was great, and I love what he did with them on PoW and CP

Re-listened to CP yesterday and honestly I think that IS their best sounding album of all.

I still give the edge to Power Windows...but in terms of a heavier rock album (similar to what's been released so far from CA), then yeah...Counterparts is amazing.

Those have long been my two favourite sounding albums...especially in the second half of their career. Peter Collins has always been the one producer I would've loved to see return again. 1022.gif

Well this is ood to hear. This is basically what I've been hoping for for decades.

For so long they got stuck in this rut they couldnt break out of writing standard issue rock songs. Obviously that started with PeW, but it went on for way too long.

I really felt VT needed this approach. Forget about the rules of music. They've been around for so long that they dont need to do what everyone else is doing just to stay relevant. Just get back to very adventurous writing and arrangements and forget about writing songs to try and sell albums. They havent had an album that sold very much at all since the 80s, so just go nuts. If this is going to be the last album then break all the rules and just put together something very strange. Been waiting a long time for this, I just hope it actually delivers on it.