Headlong Flight Opinions 3 Weeks Later

rushgoober

Ok, we've had Headlong Flight for 3 weeks now. Do you like it more, less or the same as when it first came out?  

153 members have voted

1. 1. Ok, we've had Headlong Flight for 3 weeks now. Do you like it more, less or the same as when it first came out?

• It's even better than I originally thought!
    • It's as good as ever.
    • I don't like it quite as much as I thought I did.
    • I haven't listened to it since it came out and I won't again until the album comes out.

QUOTE (losingit2k @ May 12 2012, 09:02 PM)
QUOTE (deslock @ May 12 2012, 07:08 PM)
My first impression was that it's their best lead-off single at least since I became a fan over 25 years ago.

My opinion after 200 listens is even better: It tops Subdivisions and maybe Limelight too.

Wha wha what?

Bold statement sir! I disagree! (Apples & Oranges)

dazed025.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMLvoopYiK4

Edited by rushgoober

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gary!

I really wanted to wait until the record comes out but I gave in.

I listened to "Headlong Flight" once a few weeks ago and I loved it.

Now thanks to your poll I've listened to it three more times.

I LOVE IT!!!!!

Geddy's voice and bass playing is mind blowing. Neil's goes off on his snare like a machine gun.

Alex actually lays down a killer guitar solo unlike the one on "Far Cry."

This album is going to be EPIC.

How does Geddy's voice sound so good on this song?

Rush will always be the greatest band in the world to me.

I don't think Rush is going to retire anytime soon but I will be there for their last concert no matter where in the world it will be.

I predict Toronto.

We can all meet up at The Orbit Room for drinks after the show.

Been there and done that on R30.

Toronto Rocks.

RUSH RULES!!!!!

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

Just listened to it for the second time and I like it much better this time around. Didn't notice it the first time around, but there is a little something from most of the heavier albums scattered throughout the song. The break at the end of the first half seems almost entirely devoted to this.

Could use some melody as Rgoob pointed out.

My first impression was that it's their best lead-off single at least since I became a fan over 25 years ago.

My opinion after 200 listens is even better: It tops Subdivisions and maybe Limelight too.

What I wrote isn't quite right as I forgot that New World Man was the lead-off single for Signals, not Subdivisions.

Anyway, if I were to rank my top 20 studio Rush songs released as singles (not just lead-off singles):

1. Freewill
  2. The Spirit of Radio
  3. Headlong Flight
  4. The Analog Kid
  5. Limelight
  6. BU2B
  7. Mystic Rhythms
  8. Tom Sawyer
  9. Far Cry
  10. Driven
  11. Marathon
  12. Bravado
  13. Cold Fire
  14. Subdivisions
  15. Ghost of a Chance
  16. Vital Signs
  17. 2112 Overture/The Temples of Syrinx
  18. Dreamline
  19. The Trees
  20. Territories
It goes without saying that it's in a constant state of flux.

QUOTE (deslock @ May 13 2012, 09:12 AM)

What I wrote isn't quite right as I forgot that New World Man was the lead-off single for Signals, not Subdivisions.

What you wrote STILL isn't right, because the lead-off single for Clockwork Angels wasn't Headlong Flight. It was Caravan. tongue.gif

QUOTE (CantStopThinkingBig @ May 13 2012, 10:21 AM)

cool10.gif

I've been a Rush fan for over 30 years, and I doubt I've heard ANY song 200 times, even Tom Sawyer.

Ok, MAYBE Tom Sawyer, but it couldn't be more than 200 times, and even then I doubt it!

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 13 2012, 01:10 PM)

cool10.gif

I've been a Rush fan for over 30 years, and I doubt I've heard ANY song 200 times, even Tom Sawyer.

Ok, MAYBE Tom Sawyer, but it couldn't be more than 200 times, and even then I doubt it!

Come on? Do we really need to be so literal? I think everyone knew what he meant. He's listened to it alot! It's hard enough debating the facts without having to correct for such stupidity! Get back on the facts! You're much better there anyway. These tactics are below you, Goobs! Leave that for the two legged horse freak!

dazed025.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ May 13 2012, 11:16 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 13 2012, 01:10 PM)

cool10.gif

Come on? Do we really need to be so literal? I think everyone knew what he meant. He's listened to it alot! It's hard enough debating the facts without having to correct for such stupidity! Get back on the facts! You're much better there anyway. These tactics are below you, Goobs! Leave that for the two legged horse freak!

dazed025.gif

He said 200. I took him at his word. yes.gif

QUOTE (staunchally @ May 14 2012, 01:26 PM)
Loved it when I first heard it but it has aged very poorly.

You're right. Headlong Flight is so early-middle 2012. It simply doesn't hold up to the standards we've set for early-middle-middle 2012. It's a whole new ballgame now!

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 14 2012, 12:38 PM)
QUOTE (staunchally @ May 14 2012, 01:26 PM)
Loved it when I first heard it but it has aged very poorly.

You're right. Headlong Flight is so early-middle 2012. It simply doesn't hold up to the standards we've set for early-middle-middle 2012. It's a whole new ballgame now!

Obviously, we're both on the same page! And an Amy Acker fan to boot!

QUOTE (deslock @ May 13 2012, 08:12 AM)

Anyway, if I were to rank my top 20 studio Rush songs released as singles (not just lead-off singles):

1. Freewill
  2. The Spirit of Radio
  3. Headlong Flight
  4. The Analog Kid
  5. Limelight
  6. BU2B
  7. Mystic Rhythms
  8. Tom Sawyer
  9. Far Cry
  10. Driven
  11. Marathon
  12. Bravado
  13. Cold Fire
  14. Subdivisions
  15. Ghost of a Chance
  16. Vital Signs
  17. 2112 Overture/The Temples of Syrinx
  18. Dreamline
  19. The Trees
  20. Territories
It goes without saying that it's in a constant state of flux.

Nice list. trink39.gif

i know spirit of radio is played to death just about everywhere and it kinda like a jolly singalong thing at rush gigs these days but the original studio version on waves was, and still is, a serious piece of music.

headlong flight still nowhere near those those kinda heights for me and never will be, although bu2b is.