Let's complain about Facebook here

I have a friend who has this tendency to want to put up pictures of animals and children who are abused.

I don't like seeing that on my facebook page. While I certainly agree with her stances against abuse, I don't need to be horrified by pictures of a reality that I'm quite aware of.

On this note, is there a way to receive posts from friends without seeing a posted picture? I.E...I only see her words?

Easy, cancel your Facebook account and correspond by email instead. biggrin.gif

Yes, I am a smartass. wink.gif

I don't think you can delete just part of an offensive post. It's all or nothing. You can "Hide" any posts that your friends put up. Move your cursor to the upper right-hand corner of the offending post, and an arrow should appear.

You could also "Unsubscribe" from that person without deleting him/her from your Friends list. You won't see any posts unless you go to the friend's Wall.

If the offending photo is the person's Profile Picture, then there isn't much you can do about that aside from "defriending".

By the way, it's not a Rush fan or anybody on TRF or other Rush communities. I don't mind reading the post, I just don't want to see the accompanying graphic. Seems like there would be some way of doing that. Sort of a "text only".

Yes, you can say "Unsubscribe from photos by <user>". It's on the dropdown. Having said that, some pictures will still come through, like if they change their profile picture or put it up as a status update. So it's not perfect.

Incidentally, I ran into the exact same situation. Lots of pictures of abused animals and kids. I posted a status update that said (essentially), "I don't want to see these pictures and I'm doing to defriend anyone that continues to post them". Then I did. I defriended half a dozen people over it, but you know what? None of them were people I really know. They weren't family, they weren't close friends... they were just random people I was connected to. So I didn't lose any sleep over it.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 6 2012, 05:47 PM)
Yes, you can say "Unsubscribe from photos by <user>". It's on the dropdown. Having said that, some pictures will still come through, like if they change their profile picture or put it up as a status update. So it's not perfect.

Incidentally, I ran into the exact same situation. Lots of pictures of abused animals and kids. I posted a status update that said (essentially), "I don't want to see these pictures and I'm doing to defriend anyone that continues to post them". Then I did. I defriended half a dozen people over it, but you know what? None of them were people I really know. They weren't family, they weren't close friends... they were just random people I was connected to. So I didn't lose any sleep over it.

It seems like that is what I did, only her posts disappeared altogether. If she was a Rush fan, who I didn't know in the flesh, I'd make that statement about defriending them.

I know this girl personally and will be visiting her next time I go home to Raleigh this summer. Her and her hubby are very nice people, so it's a bit trickier.

by the way, Mara needs to visit this thread.

Edited by circumstantial tree

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ May 6 2012, 05:51 PM)

It seems like that is what I did, only her posts disappeared altogether. If she was a Rush fan, who I didn't know in the flesh, I'd make that statement about defriending them.

I know this girl personally and will be visiting her next time I go home to Raleigh this summer. Her and her hubby are very nice people, so it's a bit trickier.

Consider it visited. biggrin.gif

Don't have it, don't feel I am missing out.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 6 2012, 05:58 PM)
That does make it a lot trickier sad.gif I wish there was an easier answer.

Personally, I would love a filter that says "block all political posts from view" tongue.gif

I happen to know that their neighbor shot and killed their dog. Chris and Christina (my friends) were not at home and their dog had climbed over the fence and got into a fight with the neighbor's dog. My friends' dog was the agressor from what I'd heard.

This story made the news, btw. The neighbor's dog was a golden retriever. My friends' dog was a pit bull I think. So the neighbor shot the pit bull.

I never said anything, but given what I'd heard, I was for the neighbor, not my friends. But they were distaught over losing their pet.

QUOTE (Mara @ May 6 2012, 06:01 PM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ May 6 2012, 05:51 PM)

Consider it visited. biggrin.gif

Don't have it, don't feel I am missing out.

But we need you there, so you can complain about it here. sad.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 6 2012, 04:47 PM)
Yes, you can say "Unsubscribe from photos by <user>". It's on the dropdown.

I feel really silly right now.... doh.gif doh.gif I looked right past that line!! laugh.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 6 2012, 04:18 PM)
Easy, cancel your Facebook account and correspond by email instead. biggrin.gif

Yes, I am a smartass. wink.gif

This was my thought exactly!

Not just because of not wanting to see photos of abused animals and children, but rather because Facebook is an evil empire. I just don't see how it can be stopped. So I just choose not to participate. I don't have a Facebook account, and I don't ever plan to have one.

By the way, pleased to meet you, smartass. I'm a wiseass. smile.gif

QUOTE (Blue J @ May 7 2012, 06:56 PM)
QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 6 2012, 04:18 PM)
Easy, cancel your Facebook account and correspond by email instead.  biggrin.gif

Yes, I am a smartass.  wink.gif

This was my thought exactly!

Not just because of not wanting to see photos of abused animals and children, but rather because Facebook is an evil empire. I just don't see how it can be stopped. So I just choose not to participate. I don't have a Facebook account, and I don't ever plan to have one.

By the way, pleased to meet you, smartass. I'm a wiseass. smile.gif

I wonder where dumbass, stupidass, and tightass are. bekloppt.gif

There are aspects of Facebook i don't enjoy, but it is great for catching up with old friends and organizing reunions, birthday parties etc...in fact, i think it's the preferred method of putting together such events, so it serves a purpose.

QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,May 7 2012, 08:59 AM)
QUOTE (thesweetscience @ May 7 2012, 08:52 AM)
I don't use Facebook so no complaints here.

this.

I like that too, when someone freaks because I don't have facebook.

5,709 posts on a Rush forum but no Facebook account?... unsure.gif And youre 18.. unsure.gif

Edited by Xanadoood