Clockwork Angels > Counterparts

losingit2k

After hearing the download of Headlong Flight I can say that Clockwork Angels is sounding better than Counterparts! Its also much heavier and has better jams! What do you think?

confused13.gif

Edited by losingit2k

Counterparts sounded so pure to me, production wise. It was heavy and overall a fantastic record. To me, they're on the same page with each other.

Counterparts is clear and heavy. Great-sounding album. But Alex just didn't have *heavy* guitar sounds.

CA so far is heavy on guitars. Bas it definitely there, but not as clear as CP. More bottom-end on CA, but yeah, drums are clearer on CP but heavier on CA.

CA is heavier than CP, but CP is heavy and clear.

QUOTE (psionic11 @ Apr 23 2012, 11:58 PM)
Counterparts is clear and heavy.  Great-sounding album.  But Alex just didn't have *heavy* guitar sounds.

CA so far is heavy on guitars.  Bas it definitely there, but not as clear as CP.  More bottom-end on CA, but yeah, drums are clearer on CP but heavier on CA.

CA is heavier than CP, but CP is heavy and clear.

Regardless...sounds like Nick did a heck of a job in ALL areas this time around. Can any of you put that mp3 on an audio editor or something and see if it's clipping?

Edited by presto123

QUOTE (presto123 @ Apr 23 2012, 11:54 PM)
If it sounds as good as Counterparts we are REALLY in for something special. No way the drums sound as good as they did on Counterparts.

goodpost.gif

Counterparts sounds AMAZING on my BOSE speakers in my car. 653.gif

QUOTE (FountainOfSyrinx @ Apr 24 2012, 12:07 AM)
If it sounds as good as Counterparts we are REALLY in for something special. No way the drums sound as good as they did on Counterparts.

goodpost.gif

Cool. I often sit in my truck to jam on Rush as well. trink39.gif Counterparts is a great sounding record but I like CA material better so far. I'm hoping this will be my fav record since Power Windows 1022.gif

QUOTE (presto123 @ Apr 24 2012, 12:12 AM)
QUOTE (FountainOfSyrinx @ Apr 24 2012, 12:07 AM)

goodpost.gif

Cool. I often sit in my truck to jam on Rush as well. trink39.gif Counterparts is a great sounding record but I like CA material better so far. I'm hoping this will be my fav record since Power Windows 1022.gif

PW is my fave album of all time! 2.gif 1022.gif

Well MOST of Counterparts was heavy. It seems almost the second half of the album was full of songs of their former, earlier direction...Almost as if Rush decided at the last moment to make Counterparts heavy but already wrote some 'poppier' tunes.

Not that I'm complaining, I think the entire album is great.

Too early to tell. Remember...the album has not been released yet.

Why not reserve judgement until you hear the whole thing?

Counterparts is not only an amazing album, but an amazing SOUNDING album. One of the best in their catelog. It's heavy, yet clean...Peter Collins did a fantastic job, and sure, I hope it is.

But we can't talk about something we haven't physically heard yet, at least IMO.

Sonically ...EveryDay Glory always sounded like it was from a completely different session from the rest of the material to me.

Almost like an analog recording versus a bunch of digital.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Apr 24 2012, 07:38 AM)
Too early to tell. Remember...the album has not been released yet.

Why not reserve judgement until you hear the whole thing?

Counterparts is not only an amazing album, but an amazing SOUNDING album. One of the best in their catelog. It's heavy, yet clean...Peter Collins did a fantastic job, and sure, I hope it is.

But we can't talk about something we haven't physically heard yet, at least IMO.

Peter Collins was the producer not the engineer on Counterparts. Most of the credit should go to the famous Kevin "Caveman" Shirley for the overall sound of Counterparts. Rush NEVER should have parted ways with him. A producer's job is usually more song ideas and arrangement ideas but there are some producers that do both.

One thing that I've noticed lately about "Headlong Flight" is that it seemed to have been recorded or at least released at lower level than other songs including the prior two from CA (Caravan & BU2B). I made a compilation CD of heavier stuff and I always have to turn up "Headlong Flight" when it comes on. If the other songs were recorded at 12bd its seems "Headlong Flight" is at 9 or 10db. Anyone notice this?

confused13.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Apr 24 2012, 07:40 PM)
One thing that I've noticed lately about "Headlong Flight" is that it seemed to have been recorded or at least released at lower level than other songs including the prior two from CA (Caravan & BU2B). I made a compilation CD of heavier stuff and I always have to turn up "Headlong Flight" when it comes on. If the other songs were recorded at 12bd its seems "Headlong Flight" is at 9 or 10db. Anyone notice this?

confused13.gif

Well...I think the first two singles were still relatively hot.(borderline clipping) Lets hope the band finally realizes you don't have to push everything into the red. With less layering of instruments and hopefully a lower mastered volume this should be a great sounding record.(fingers crossed) 2.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Apr 23 2012, 10:25 PM)
After hearing the download of Headlong Flight I can say that Clockwork Angels is sounding better than Counterparts! Its also much heavier and has better jams! What do you think?

confused13.gif

Agree. It's on pace to be a top 5er for me.

QUOTE (laughedatbytime @ Apr 24 2012, 07:59 PM)
QUOTE (losingit2k @ Apr 23 2012, 10:25 PM)

confused13.gif

Agree. It's on pace to be a top 5er for me.

Counterparts is a top 5er for me. CA actually seemed to stand a better chance of joining it up there before I heard Headlong Flight, but it's too early to come to a conclusion about that song, let alone the whole album. As far as sound goes, though, I much prefer the CP sound.

QUOTE (GeddyLeeFender @ Apr 24 2012, 03:53 PM)
Animate is untouchable as an opening song for an album, and Counterparts is my favorite of their albums in the 90's. That being said, the production for both are great!

goodpost.gif yes.gif

QUOTE (troutman @ Apr 24 2012, 08:46 PM)
Good comparison,

Both are heavy and the production is spot on. I listened to Cut To The Chase on the way home today. I sure hope they play that this tour. Wishful thinking. biggrin.gif 2.gif

I'm with you on that. Been waiting for a live version of CTTC since CP and it have never come!

fists crying.gif