Is Clockwork Angels going to be better than S&A

treeduck

Is Clockwork Angels going to better than Snakes & Arrows?  

157 members have voted

1. 1. Is Clockwork Angels going to better than Snakes & Arrows?

• 1 Yes
    • 2 No
    • 3 Maybe
    • 4 I think they'll end up even stevens
    • 5 I can't speculate based on just 3 songs, but a wild guess would be yes
    • 6 It's too difficult to tell, we need to hear it all, but if pushed I'd say no
    • 7 I don't care
    • 8 I don't like cricket, I love it, Oh yeah!

At this point, I think I'll end up favoring Snakes & Arrows. I'm a big fan of S&A, and I think it contains a number of high-quality tracks, while what I've heard from CA so far amounts to one very good tune, one good one, and one decent one. I'm with rushgoober in that I prefer the strongest S&A numbers (especially Armor and Sword and Workin' Them Angels) to those three CA tunes. And while I dig the rockin' nature of the new songs, there hasn't been much indication of variety yet, so I have no idea how CA's reprieves from heaviness will turn out, or even if there will be any reprieves, which is a concern for me. That said, the CA-three might yet rise in my esteem, and there could well be a very diverse group of tunes on the record yet to be heard. We'll see.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Voted 5..but from what I've heard so far, this RUSH LP is gonna kick serious A*S!!!....Can't wait to hear the rest, and go to a gig or 2..or 3! yes.gif

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Apr 22 2012, 08:05 PM)
Based on what we've heard so far, a definite YES.

Some of the best songs on S&A are the first three - Armor & Sword, Far Cry and Workin' Them Angels - so far, the first three released from CA beats them like a rented mule. Hopefully the remainder of the songs will be of equal or better quality to Caravan, BU2B & Headlong Flight, I'd say it's looking pretty damn good that CA will make S&A look like Presto after a meth binge.

I agree. You've certainly got a unique way of putting it, but I agree.

I enjoyed snakes and arrows a lot, but I just have a feeling this album will be something special, probably the best since power windows, but it's all subjective to opinion

My favorite track on S&A ( armor and sword) is not as good as any of three tracks we've heard

But hey, that's just me biggrin.gif

Snakes & Arrows has aged poorly for me. I wasn't really a big fan when it came out, but I dug it. But with more time going by, I just can't stand the album.

Apart of it definitely has to do with Neil's lyrics. But musically I just found it very unfulfilling as well. I'm not one of those people that have to have Rush be like they were in the old days. I get it, Rush aren't ever going to sound like they used to. And honestly, I don't think they need to. At their age, it's pretty ridiculous to expect them to write music they way they used to 10-20 years ago.

Plus, Rush has always been a band that has changed from album to album, decade to decade. It's not like they haven't gone through a change of sound before. I'll be honest, the last Rush album I really liked was Presto. Every album after that has been kind of spotty for me. Test For Echo, Roll The Bones, Counterparts etc. My favorite run was definitely 2112-Presto. And every album after that has been hit and miss (as an overall album), with most of the albums having songs I really liked.

I just don't really like any songs off of Snakes & Arrows. Even Roll The Bones had stand out songs IMO. But that's just me. Maybe I just don't like their recent material. Who knows. I really did like HF, and I have hope this album will at the very least produce a handful of songs I really like.

The days of Rush putting out albums I think are great front to back have been gone for a while (for me). So I'm not really expecting that. I'm also not complaining, or upset. New material is new material. And I'm always happy to listen to new Rush. When S&A didn't move me, I was okay with that.

Edited by Mr. Henry Gale

I think it could be better but it's still too early to say. Certainly the stuff released so far has been promising. In fact, the only song on S&A that I like more than Caravan is Armor and Sword and I've got a feeling that the title track could be this album's A&S in terms of the epic feel. I think the biggest problem with S&A was consistency - there were some truly brilliant songs on it (ie. Far Cry, Armor and Sword) but also some real duds that were way below par, even for new Rush (Bravest Face especially i feel). So obviously, the biggest test for CA is whether the quality of the remaining tracks matches up to the ones already released. If so then I think for sure, it will be a better album than S&A. Guess we'll have to see...

Can't really know based on 3 tunes, but it is shaping up nicely.

S&A was such a dull album, even with the time signature changes in Caravan it's immediately better than S&A. I think I like about 3 songs on S&A. Spindrift, TMMB, and Armor & Sword. The rest is completely craptastic.

In fact I like BU2B more than any song on S&A just due to the fact that it has some balls that didnt exist at all on S&A.

Is Clockwork Angels going to be better than S&A?

Answer: How can it NOT be? wink.gif

In my opinion, we've already been given one excellent song (Headlong Flight), one very good song (Caravan), and one fairly good song (BU2B), so I'd already say it beats S&A!

It already is..............

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Apr 23 2012, 08:12 AM)

Answer: How can it NOT be? wink.gif

goodpost.gif Getting eaten alive by red ants is better

QUOTE (metaldad @ Apr 23 2012, 09:50 AM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Apr 23 2012, 08:12 AM)

Answer: How can it NOT be?  wink.gif

goodpost.gif Getting eaten alive by red ants is better

laugh.gif

MD discussing S&A...always good for a laugh.

Though you're wrong... wink.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 22 2012, 05:39 PM)
QUOTE (FountainOfSyrinx @ Apr 22 2012, 07:34 PM)
I was loooking forward to 40 random choices sad.gif

Naa I'm way too lazy tonight...

trink36.gif

Yer slippin' man. biggrin.gif

A bit too early to tell yet.

Although I think CA is off to an incredible start.

Just listened to "Headlong Flight" for the first time a few minutes ago.

To be performing at this level when you're as old as they are.....pretty fascinating stuff.

More popular? Yes!

For me? I really like S&A but CA is already better!

QUOTE (Mr. Henry Gale @ Apr 23 2012, 12:10 AM)
Snakes & Arrows has aged poorly for me. I wasn't really a big fan when it came out, but I dug it. But with more time going by, I just can't stand the album.

Apart of it definitely has to do with Neil's lyrics. But musically I just found it very unfulfilling as well. I'm not one of those people that have to have Rush be like they were in the old days. I get it, Rush aren't ever going to sound like they used to. And honestly, I don't think they need to. At their age, it's pretty ridiculous to expect them to write music they way they used to 10-20 years ago.

Plus, Rush has always been a band that has changed from album to album, decade to decade. It's not like they haven't gone through a change of sound before. I'll be honest, the last Rush album I really liked was Presto. Every album after that has been kind of spotty for me. Test For Echo, Roll The Bones, Counterparts etc. My favorite run was definitely 2112-Presto. And every album after that has been hit and miss (as an overall album), with most of the albums having songs I really liked.

I just don't really like any songs off of Snakes & Arrows.  Even Roll The Bones had stand out songs IMO. But that's just me. Maybe I just don't like  their recent material. Who knows. I really did like HF, and I have hope this album will at the very least produce a handful of songs I really like.

The days of Rush putting out albums I think are great front to back have been gone for a while (for me). So I'm not really expecting that. I'm also not complaining, or upset. New material is new material. And I'm always happy to listen to new Rush. When S&A didn't move me, I was okay with that.

Roll The Bones was the last Rush album that I enjoyed for the most part end to end. Every album after that just didn't do it for me on a consistant basis or just had something about it that didn't work for me....Counterparts sounded great sonically but I didn't like a lot of the lyrics... TFE was OK, had a couple of decent songs but sounded fuzzy and nothing on it really sticks out as great....VT had energy and passion (and a couple of songs that I do really like, How It Is is one) but was too noisy, too loud, too convoluted, too long, too chaotic....S&A was just a boring droning Neil Peart "the world sucks and people are mean" preach-fest that I never plan on listening to ever again outside of one or two songs.

Edited by jnoble

QUOTE (H. P. L. @ Apr 23 2012, 02:36 AM)
I guess it will be better in the sense that it won't get boring after the first 3 songs. That's what S&A does for me.

I've always thought the worst thing you could say about a rock bands music is that it's boring or dull. If I was in a band myself, the last thing I'd want said about my material is that it's uninteresting or boring. That's why Snakes is my least fav Rush album. They committed the worst sin, to my ears, that an established legendary band like themselves could do....made an album mostly full of boring songs.

Edited by jnoble

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Apr 23 2012, 10:50 PM)
After hearing the download of HF off Itunes the answer is a resounding YES!!!!!!

"Houston, We have separation!"

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

I think a lot of that separation is because they made that conscious effort to use less layering. Finally! It helps everything come alive. wink.gif

QUOTE (driventotheedge @ Apr 23 2012, 10:49 AM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 22 2012, 05:39 PM)
QUOTE (FountainOfSyrinx @ Apr 22 2012, 07:34 PM)
I was loooking forward to 40 random choices sad.gif

Naa I'm way too lazy tonight...

trink36.gif

Yer slippin' man. biggrin.gif

More of a deliberate slide...

wink.gif