Headlong Flight's waveform

danielmclark

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Apr 18 2012, 03:33 PM)
so what is this telling me? trink38.gif

it's telling you that the stream you're listening to is brick walled.

it's also highly compressed

personally I'm waiting until tuesday to pass judgement on the song... though I have listened to it at least a half dozen times

QUOTE (Snaked @ Apr 18 2012, 01:34 PM)

personally I'm waiting until tuesday to pass judgement on the song... though I have listened to it at least a half dozen times

I'm not passing judgement - I'm loving every minute of this song. It's definitely very, very compressed for the stream.

I'm actually pretty hopeful. It's not as brickwalled as I expected it to be. I thought it would be a solid wall of green, and I'm really happy that it's not. The final version will be better, I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Hey Daniel, You grabbed the file from the site or recorded by soundcard playing the song? if you recorded the song with soundcard, the Db depends of the audio input volume

Sorry my english, hope you understand

Edited by brunosamppa

QUOTE (brunosamppa @ Apr 18 2012, 01:45 PM)
Hey Daniel, You grabbed the file from the site or recorded by soundcard playing the song? if you recorded the song with soundcard, the Db depends of the audio input volume

Sorry my english, hope you understand

It was recorded directly from the browser using Audio Hijack Pro. It's the 1's and 0's from the file, though since it was recorded directly to MP3, it won't be quite *exact*. I forgot to switch over to lossless, but I'm sure it wouldn't be that far off.

This is really just a point of interest only anyway. The final recording will look pretty different.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 18 2012, 02:37 PM)

I'm not passing judgement - I'm loving every minute of this song. It's definitely very, very compressed for the stream.

I'm actually pretty hopeful. It's not as brickwalled as I expected it to be. I thought it would be a solid wall of green, and I'm really happy that it's not. The final version will be better, I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Do you honestly believe that they'd ever let that happen again, after the VT fiasco?

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Apr 18 2012, 12:32 PM)
clearly they wouldn't let this happen again after Vapor Trails?

To be fair, you could have a brick walled recording that doesn't sound as bad as VT.

If you listen to poorly mastered albums, some sound better than others despite them all being brick walled and compressed to shit.

But anyways, as others have said, let's wait for the CD/Single version to hit. Even if the final product is this bad (or close to it), it all comes down to the sound. If your ears are fine with it, that means more than what a graph/visual representation shows you.

Considering the low bit rate of the stream, I thought it sounded fine.

Edited by Mr. Henry Gale

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 18 2012, 02:31 PM)
I recorded the stream from Rolling Stone using Audio Hijack Pro on my MacBook Pro, direct to MP3 format at 192kbps. This is the resulting waveform.

http://qaqn.com/images/outbound/headlong-flight-mp3.png

I have the same image on my computer right now! Transfering to disk to have in my car!

Damn this song has everything we love about 2.gif !

1022.gif 653.gif applaudit.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (Mr. Henry Gale @ Apr 18 2012, 01:36 PM)

To be fair, you could have a brick walled recording that doesn't sound as bad as VT.

If you listen to poorly mastered albums, some sound better than others despite them all being brick walled and compressed to shit.

But anyways, as others have said, let's wait for the CD/Single version to hit. Even if the final product is this bad (or close to it), it all comes down to the sound. If your ears are fine with it, that means more than what a graph/visual representation shows you.

I fear those hoping the lossless version will sound considerably better might be disappointed. I think the stream sounds good but definitely muddy.

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Apr 18 2012, 12:44 PM)
QUOTE (Mr. Henry Gale @ Apr 18 2012, 01:36 PM)

I fear those hoping the lossless version will sound considerably better might be disappointed. I think the stream sounds good but definitely muddy.

Very true. I remember I had low bit rate promo for an album once, and everyone thought it sounded awful. They just chalked it up to it being the low bit rate the label sent out.

However when the LOSSLESS and V0 rips came out, the album sounded better, but still sounded awful. Bad production won't change with bit rate quality.

So I have a similar feeling here that if there is things about this recording you don't like, those aspects probably won't go away once we get a full rip. Not to say higher bit rates won't change the sound. Obviously it will. But it will only do so much.

Will be interesting to see though once we get the official release what fans have to say about how it sounds. But I think you are right in that, there will be some aspects to how they recorded this that some won't like. I for one, really take no issue with how this song sounds. I dig it, especially at the low quality.

Edited by Mr. Henry Gale

And STILL nowhere near as muddy and indistinctive sounding as Vapor Trails, no matter how their "waveforms" may compare. I can hear bass guitar on Headlong Flight. I hear rumors that there's bass on VT. Edited by Presto-digitation

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Apr 18 2012, 02:33 PM)

Basically that, if this is indeed the quality of the real record, that 95% of Rush fans will hate it because "it was improperly mixed"

cat.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 18 2012, 03:37 PM)

I'm glad this was posted as this is what I heard and was initially concerned. Compared to the clip it is a lot less clear. I'm confident it will sound great once we get the release.

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Apr 18 2012, 09:14 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 18 2012, 03:50 PM)
...I hear rumors that there's bass on VT.

you ought to get your hearing checked, then

laugh.gif

Alright, to be fair, VT is incredibly bassy-sounding, but there's just no definition to its sound because of the poor mixing. No pop, no zing. It just blends in with the guitar.