lets zeppelin

tel

QUOTE (tel @ Apr 20 2012, 07:01 PM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Apr 19 2012, 11:28 AM)
QUOTE (tel @ Apr 19 2012, 03:33 PM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Apr 19 2012, 04:04 AM)
QUOTE (Echoes @ Apr 19 2012, 01:21 AM)
QUOTE (tel @ Apr 18 2012, 08:02 AM)
QUOTE (Echoes @ Apr 17 2012, 09:56 PM)
Whenever I think "greatest band of all time", without a doubt, it's always Led Zeppelin.

in what way?,led zeppelin produced ok music most of the time with occasional moments of genius.

However page was often self indulgent playing live, trying to hard to be experimental and "out there" whilst plant sounded like a scalded cat with his moaning and wailing,just fukcin annoying actually.

i think a lot of people got caught up in the hysteria,but the truth is there were many bands from the 70s era that were much better.

To answer my own question...yes they were and possibly still are the biggest rock band of all time,but deservedly so?......NAHH bolt.gif

I was born in 1991, so I didn't get caught up in any hysteria. I listen to the music, I look back at what else was going on at the time, where music is today, what they accomplished, their individual prowess as musicians, ect ect. I could go on and on.

So, I'm curious. Who do YOU think is the greatest of all time?

Looking into my crystal ball....tel will pick......Deep Purple!

Or Rammstein...

Or System of a Down......

Rammstein and system are great fun but in no way serious contenders here,besides wrong era by about 4 decades tongue.gif

Deep purple however were a much better band than zeppelin and so were sabbath,genesis,yes,tull and many others.

look im just trying to instigate some conversation here i dont expect many on here to agree with this opinion. unsure.gif

my rating zep v purple.....

blackmore..10/10 page...8/10

gillan..........10/10 plant...7/10

glover......... 8/10 jones..8/10

lord.............10/10 jones..6/10

paice........... 8/10 bonzo.10/10

------- -------

46/50 39/50

Pray tell, Tel, what are you basing your markings on? You seem have gone down a highly scientific route. Intrigued to know what formed your scores.

musicianship,technical prowess,stage presence,

There's much wrong going on there, I'm not even going to bother.

As my dear old grandmother used to say, "never argue with a Deep Purple fanboy."

Have a FABULOUS Saturday!

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Apr 21 2012, 02:17 AM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 21 2012, 06:59 AM)
I prefer Lesbian Zeppelick the luscious lunatic lipstick lot lizards of rock!!

1022.gif

Yeah, but you would. Jessie. laugh.gif

Have a supercalifragilistic Saturday Lord Duck!

Aye, you too!

cool10.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Apr 21 2012, 09:49 AM)
like any group out there, they have their good stuff, not so good stuff, and bad stuff.

yes.gif

• Like 1

QUOTE (tel @ Apr 19 2012, 10:33 AM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Apr 19 2012, 04:04 AM)
QUOTE (Echoes @ Apr 19 2012, 01:21 AM)
QUOTE (tel @ Apr 18 2012, 08:02 AM)
QUOTE (Echoes @ Apr 17 2012, 09:56 PM)
Whenever I think "greatest band of all time", without a doubt, it's always Led Zeppelin.

in what way?,led zeppelin produced ok music most of the time with occasional moments of genius.

However page was often self indulgent playing live, trying to hard to be experimental and "out there" whilst plant sounded like a scalded cat with his moaning and wailing,just fukcin annoying actually.

i think a lot of people got caught up in the hysteria,but the truth is there were many bands from the 70s era that were much better.

To answer my own question...yes they were and possibly still are the biggest rock band of all time,but deservedly so?......NAHH bolt.gif

I was born in 1991, so I didn't get caught up in any hysteria. I listen to the music, I look back at what else was going on at the time, where music is today, what they accomplished, their individual prowess as musicians, ect ect. I could go on and on.

So, I'm curious. Who do YOU think is the greatest of all time?

Looking into my crystal ball....tel will pick......Deep Purple!

Or Rammstein...

Or System of a Down......

Rammstein and system are great fun but in no way serious contenders here,besides wrong era by about 4 decades tongue.gif

Deep purple however were a much better band than zeppelin and so were sabbath,genesis,yes,tull and many others.

look im just trying to instigate some conversation here i dont expect many on here to agree with this opinion. unsure.gif

my rating zep v purple.....

blackmore..10/10 page...8/10

gillan..........10/10 plant...7/10

glover......... 8/10 jones..8/10

lord.............10/10 jones..6/10

paice........... 8/10 bonzo.10/10

------- -------

46/50 39/50

wow.

rofl3.gif

wacko.gif

confused13.gif

wtf.gif

I at times feel Jimmy Page is a little overrated. He was pretty sloppy live and he was just copping a lot of blues songs on those early records.

But while Led Zeppelin might not be everyone's personal cup of tea I don't know how one constructs a viable argument against them as a vastly important and mostly impressive band. Not that I was alive at the time, but everything I've read and heard suggests that they were so incredibly powerful when they arrived on the scene. They seemed to just blow the roof off. JPJ and Bonham grooved hard. How can you not give it up for those two, at the very least?

They just seemed so heavy coming out of the gate, alongside Sabbath and The Who circa Live at Leeds. Just sheer musical force.

This, exactly.

I just don't get it either. =/

I'm used to getting bashed for it, but I just always found their live performances (save for Jonesy and Bonzo) to be.....lackluster. Not impressive. (And yes, I am quite aware that I can't play like Jimmy Page or wail like Plant, but I'm still allowed to make these observations lmao.)

I can think of.....well, at least a dozen other hard rock bands that *I* think are a hundred times better than Zep.

I remember saying these things once, and my dad and brother glared at me like I just admitted to killing someone! well, cmon, now! I just don't think they're that great. There's a handful of their songs i like, but other than that, no can do.

• Like 1

I've seen many many concerts and LZ are in my top 3. Say what you may about how sloppy they were, blah blah blah, but they were freakin' intense on stage. Very God-like, at the time, in the music world. Their audience was loud and really into the band.

I'm not sure about the comment that there are bands 100 X better than LZ, really ? It's all a matter of time and space and I am fortunate to say that I've seen LZ 14 times (1973, 1975 and 1977 between NYC and Philly ) so I have first hand knowledge, from what I can remember :codger:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcS1H-4m41Y

Edited by custom55
  • Like 1

The movie, "The Song Remains the Same," pretty much bores the heck out of me. Also, that version of Dazed and Confused seems to drag on for too long (shocking to say that, since I can listen to Rush's and Dream Theater's long-pieces and have no problems with listening to those). That's all I got to say about that.

Other than that, Led Zeppelin was very influential and very popular and had created some of the greatest songs of all time (Kashmir, Rock and Roll, etc), but they just do not really connect to me, today. Sorry.

Edited by Anguyen92
  • Like 1

I'm used to getting bashed for it, but I just always found their live performances (save for Jonesy and Bonzo) to be.....lackluster. Not impressive. (And yes, I am quite aware that I can't play like Jimmy Page or wail like Plant, but I'm still allowed to make these observations lmao.)

I can think of.....well, at least a dozen other hard rock bands that *I* think are a hundred times better than Zep.

I remember saying these things once, and my dad and brother glared at me like I just admitted to killing someone! well, cmon, now! I just don't think they're that great. There's a handful of their songs i like, but other than that, no can do.

Zep may not be your cup of tea, which is fine, of course...but can you honestly say that, say, Cheap Trick is better?

• Like 1

The movie, "The Song Remains the Same," pretty much bores the heck out of me. Also, that version of Dazed and Confused seems to drag on for too long (shocking to say that, since I can listen to Rush's and Dream Theater's long-pieces and have no problems with listening to those). That's all I got to say about that.

Other than that, Led Zeppelin was very influential and very popular and had created some of the greatest songs of all time (Kashmir, Rock and Roll, etc), but they just do not really connect to me, today. Sorry.

That version of Dazed does go on a bit, still brilliant though. I love The Song Remains The Same. The dream sequences are hilarious, but in keeping with the times.

The greatest rock band of all time, bar none. The power and the glory.

• Like 1

Zep may not be your cup of tea, which is fine, of course...but can you honestly say that, say, Cheap Trick is better?

Because I didn't grow up hearing CT songs over and over and over and over and over and over again, day after day after day for years. Songs that I originally saw as boring in the first place, like Stairway To Heaven, Dazed & Confused never ever did anything for me, etc.

0_o

Like I said there are a few Zep songs I can tolerate- some I even like! Musically, yes, LZ took more chances than CT, for sure. But comparing them? I can't because they're very different.

Personally, I think Cheap Trick is worlds above Zeppelin.

I just do not like Led Zeppelin.

• Like 1

One of my top 10 all-timers for sure. Their influence has been absolutely immense, nearly immeasurable. However............

Their "lifting" of the old blues standards has always bothered me though plenty of other bands did the same just not to the extent they did IMO and their live performances were definitely uneven, especially later in their career (Jimmy+heroin=ups and downs). And it extended to the studio as well........ITTOD is basically a Plant/Jones record to my ears.

Still, this band is and always will be in the conversation as 'greatest ever'.

• Like 1

One of my top 10 all-timers for sure. Their influence has been absolutely immense, nearly immeasurable. However............

Their "lifting" of the old blues standards has always bothered me though plenty of other bands did the same just not to the extent they did IMO and their live performances were definitely uneven, especially later in their career (Jimmy+heroin=ups and downs). And it extended to the studio as well........ITTOD is basically a Plant/Jones record to my ears.

Still, this band is and always will be in the conversation as 'greatest ever'.

For me it's not the blues that bothers me, it's this:

But that's pretty much pop music in general. Borrow? Steal? Rip-off? Inspiration? A homage?

Because I didn't grow up hearing CT songs over and over and over and over and over and over again, day after day after day for years. Songs that I originally saw as boring in the first place, like Stairway To Heaven, Dazed & Confused never ever did anything for me, etc.

0_o

Like I said there are a few Zep songs I can tolerate- some I even like! Musically, yes, LZ took more chances than CT, for sure. But comparing them? I can't because they're very different.

Personally, I think Cheap Trick is worlds above Zeppelin.

I just do not like Led Zeppelin.

Not even in a boat? With a goat? :cheers:

• Like 1