Alchemical symbol meaning?

Lost In Xanadu

QUOTE (Rush-O-Matic @ Apr 17 2012, 08:52 AM)
QUOTE (HowItIs @ Apr 17 2012, 02:13 AM)
While Neptune is Neil's symbol, if you look at the bottom of the pictures in the TM Tour book, each guy has a symbol there. Neil's is Winter, Alex's is Air and Geddy's is a modified Infinity. Not sure why or what it means but I based the beads I made for my Clockwork Angels necklace on them.

If I ever get a tattoo, it's going to be that 3R with amalgamation symbol that showed up on their last tour.

yes.gif That's the one I've decided on. Hope to get it before the tour.....

I forgot about those, so I looked at my tourbook last night. The scans of those pages are shown here: At Cygnus X-1 Website

The "modified infinity" looks like a lower case g for Geddy, the one for Alex is closest to an A and the one for Neil looks like the Greek letter pi, for Peart. That's my guess, anyway.

A fair guess, too. confused13.gif

QUOTE (The Big Money @ Apr 13 2012, 04:33 PM)
Great, this thread is turning into a science lesson. laugh.gif

Oh no! LEARNDING! wacko.gif

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Apr 14 2012, 07:37 PM)
QUOTE (Merely Space @ Apr 13 2012, 02:25 PM)
QUOTE (gornhay @ Apr 13 2012, 02:19 PM)
I notice NP seems to have adopted the Neptune symbol on his website. Does that mean Geddy and Alex will have their own symbol too?

How very Led Zep / Kiss, bet the Tattoo parlours can't wait.

Mmmmmm... Alchemical Rush tattoo!

If I ever get a tattoo, it's going to be that 3R with amalgamation symbol that showed up on their last tour.

Speaking of.....

I'm wanting to get this tattoo this week. But I need a good picture of it. Can anyone help?

I'd check at the Rush Backstage shop but it seems to be down

confused13.gif

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Apr 15 2012, 10:40 AM)
Does anyone think Neil should try for a boy?

I sure thought so back in the day, but I'm too old now. cool.gif

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Come on now folks, the day's of RUSH actually matching the symbols on the packaging to the lyrics and meanings of the music are long gone. They're just throwing stuff up against the wall to make people wonder. They are the egg men. They are the walrus.

And I will be paying to see their tour yet again as they are still the baddest mamma jammas in the land.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Apr 29 2012, 04:26 AM)
QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Apr 18 2012, 11:21 AM)
This rock band's got me all fired up about literature and alchemy!  laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

OK, I checked my CD booklet - sure enough, Seven Cities of Gold gets it's own symbol that is not on the cover (sort of a circle with a dot in it.) Halo Effect takes the 6:00 symbol - and actually The Pedlar gets the 3:00 symbol.

Don't know what the significance of that is - but this doesn't jive with what Neil wrote in the tourbook (that 7CoG got the 6:00 symbol...)

This is all great info. I have a question... on the Hugh Syme page 8-9 gatefold art, there's a Mourning Dove (I think) in the Aquarius pane of the clocktower glass. 1) Do I have the right bird breed? 2) What meaning does that shine on Aquarius and on "The Wreckers" for which the song is associated... this is gonna sound weird, but something about that part of that piece of art won't let me go.

This is my first post on The Rush Forum. I am intrigued by the hermetical and alchemical references on CA and have found something strange in the artwork.

Up until the 6th song (Halo Effect), each song uses the corresponding symbol on the clock. This can be seen in the lower corners of the CD-booklet. However, the song Seven Cities of Gold uses another planetary symbol. This symbol corresponds to the sun.

As a result of the use of the new sun-symbol, the last alchemical symbol (0:00 or 12:00) is not used in relation to a song on the album. My question is: why is this so?

One possible explanation is that the song Seven Cities of Gold has a deeper meaning in the sense that the Seven Cities correspond to the seven chakra system. As you possibly know, the chakra system describes the road to enlightenment, which is the philosopher's gold in alchemy.

Following this line of reasoning, the last symbol may correspond to the after-life (supreme love and understanding) of which we have little knowledge and as a result of that, no song corresponds to the relating symbol. The CA-album works towards this climax because the whole story begins with the perspective of an infant and ends in The Garden of the old.

Note that I am well aware that in the past - and on CA for that matter - Neil Peart has a somewhat agnostic stance towards a supreme deity (The Watchmaker wink.gif). Could it be that the story has a deeper level of meaning that perhaps even eludes Neil? Is there possibly some channeling involved with CA?

QUOTE (Trismegistus @ Jun 17 2012, 03:35 AM)
This is my first post on The Rush Forum. I am intrigued by the hermetical and alchemical references on CA and have found something strange in the artwork.

Up until the 6th song (Halo Effect), each song uses the corresponding symbol on the clock. This can be seen in the lower corners of the CD-booklet. However, the song Seven Cities of Gold uses another planetary symbol. This symbol corresponds to the sun.

As a result of the use of the new sun-symbol, the last alchemical symbol (0:00 or 12:00) is not used in relation to a song on the album. My question is: why is this so?

One possible explanation is that the song Seven Cities of Gold has a deeper meaning in the sense that the Seven Cities correspond to the seven chakra system. As you possibly know, the chakra system describes the road to enlightenment, which is the philosopher's gold in alchemy.

Following this line of reasoning, the last symbol may correspond to the after-life (supreme love and understanding) of which we have little knowledge and as a result of that, no song corresponds to the relating symbol. The CA-album works towards this climax because the whole story begins with the perspective of an infant and ends in The Garden of the old.

Note that I am well aware that in the past - and on CA for that matter - Neil Peart has a somewhat agnostic stance towards a supreme deity (The Watchmaker wink.gif). Could it be that the story has a deeper level of meaning that perhaps even eludes Neil? Is there possibly some channeling involved with CA?

I would LOVE to have what you are smoking right now.

tongue.gif

Maybe someone else has already caught this, but I noticed that the symbol found at the typical 3 o'clock position is assigned to the Pedlars (I & II) and then the inside liner notes has a different symbol (not found on "The Clock") for Seven Cities...hmmmm. Also, the symbol mentioned in the liner notes (Brought to you by ____) is also on Geddy's bass pickguard but not assigned to any of the songs....curiouser and curiouser...