CA to be released in Lossless 96kHz/24-bit

Jag2112

QUOTE (Unobtrusive Companion @ Apr 12 2012, 09:41 AM)
QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Apr 12 2012, 02:33 PM)
QUOTE (Merely Space @ Apr 12 2012, 08:30 AM)
Wish I had the equipment to truly enjoy this.

That's what she said!!

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif laugh.gif

z7shysterical.gif

Okay, question for the audiophiles. If I buy this, will I be able to listen to it? My set up is this:

MacBook Pro -> Airport Express router -> Pioneer VSX-517 Receiver

I'm not even asking about software because if the hardware isn't set up to be able to play it, it won't matter if I have the right software. That'll be the next question if this setup will work.

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Apr 12 2012, 08:33 AM)

That's what she said!!

laugh.gif

I wish I was cool enough to know what lossless 96kHz/24-bit FLAC was. (Or nerdy enough, depending on who I'm with. wink.gif )

QUOTE (workingcinderellaman @ Apr 12 2012, 04:05 PM)
QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Apr 12 2012, 08:33 AM)

That's what she said!!

laugh.gif

I wish I was cool enough to know what lossless 96kHz/24-bit FLAC was. (Or nerdy enough, depending on who I'm with. wink.gif )

Not important. Not noticeable on most setups so don't worry about it. Pretty sure the regular release will sound just fine on what you have.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 12 2012, 03:58 PM)
Okay, question for the audiophiles. If I buy this, will I be able to listen to it? My set up is this:

MacBook Pro -> Airport Express router -> Pioneer VSX-517 Receiver

I'm not even asking about software because if the hardware isn't set up to be able to play it, it won't matter if I have the right software. That'll be the next question if this setup will work.

I'm not an audiophile, but I know for a fact that this app will play FLAC format for Mac: http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/24852/vox

High resolution is useless if the mastering is shit. I hope more dynamic range than Snakes & Arrows. The mastering of the Single Caravan/BU2B (CD VERSION) made by Ted Jensen (Death Magnectic from Metallica) is pure shit :/

QUOTE (Dylan2712 @ Apr 12 2012, 06:44 PM)
QUOTE (grand phil-nale @ Apr 12 2012, 03:29 PM)
You can easily convert FLAC to Wav and then burn to a CD. I use xACT to do this on my Mac.

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/14246/xact

whenever you burn to a cd you're converting to 44.1kHz 16-bit. Burning a 96kHz, 24-bit file to a CD is very very pointless.

That's why I'm trying to figure out if my setup will work to play the tracks at full resolution wirelessly. I know the Macbook can play FLAC files, I know my receiver can play high resolution audio, but I don't know if Airfoil will send full resolution audio to an Airport Express router, and I don't know if the Airport Express will send full resolution audio through the RCA connections to the receiver. That's what's hanging me up right now.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 12 2012, 07:19 PM)
QUOTE (grand phil-nale @ Apr 12 2012, 04:29 PM)
You can easily convert FLAC to Wav and then burn to a CD. I use xACT to do this on my Mac.

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/14246/xact

I use xAct for some things, too, but when you go from 96/24 to a CD, you're downsampling, are you not?

My bad, meant to say to burn to DVD. xACT converts 24/96 FLAC to 24/96 WAV or 24/96 AIFF.

QUOTE (hughes&kettner @ Apr 13 2012, 06:04 AM)
ironic that an archaic medium like vinyl still sounds better than any electronic one...1,000 times better.

dazed025.gif

First, that's not irony. Second, that's only according to you and a small number of misguided people wink.gif tongue.gif

ronic that an archaic medium like vinyl still sounds better than any electronic one...1,000 times better.

Well it blows away CD's, and this is coming from a person who hated vinyl (and 'vinyl can do no wrong people') up until last year.

BUT...Vinyl should not beat 24/96KHz files that are direct from the original master.

I recently downloaded (legally) Kate Bush's latest album on 24/96 wave files. I used DVD Audio Solo and turned it in to a DVD-A (which is what I'll do with CA). I then compared it with the CD and the LP that she also released and the 24/96 DVD-A was superior...No surprise.

What I want to find out, however, is if these are true 24/96 files and not upsamples from the CD. I have read that HDTracks has done this before.

Edited by Majestyk