Rate Test For Echo

Gompers

How do you rate Test For Echo?  

160 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate Test For Echo?

To me, this doesn't sound like Rush. It just sounds like generic mid 90's rock. The solos are few and far between, the guitars are too distorted and the band just sounds less cohesive.

That being said, this album produced many great songs for Rush in the 90's.

I love:

The Title Track

Driven

Time and Motion

Totem

Virtuality (come at me)

Limbo

Carve Away the Stone

Songs that I don't mind:

Half the World

The Colour of Right

Dog Years

Resist

It's a solid 7.5 for me but seeing as that's not an option, I have to go with a solid 7. Not an 8 unfortunately.

I give a SOLID 7! It grew on me after the 2nd or 3rd listen, and it's still growing on me. I think I'm in the minority of fans that actually like Totem...nah scratch that, I LOVE Totem. Same with Dog Years, but Totem's way better IMO. The title track, Driven, Half the World, Resist, The Color of Right and Limbo are also my favorites from the album.

As a whole, it's slightly weaker than Counterparts so that's the only downside of the album. But it's a solid effort and my second favorite 90s 2.gif album!

QUOTE (Gompers @ Apr 9 2012, 06:35 PM)
Time and Motion gives this release some good old fashion Rush punch.

yes.gif Defintely my fave on the album, followed by Totem. Driven, Color and Carve are right up there. The title track and Dog Years rock pretty good too. Overall I'd say it's equal to the much loved Counterparts and better than the three before that. I give it an 8 despite of some awkward lyrics in spots.

QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Apr 10 2012, 04:06 PM)
The Great

Test For Echo
Driven
Virtuality
Resist

The Good

Dog Years
Half The World
The Color Of Right
Time & Motion
Limbo

The Okay

Carve Away The Stone
Totem

I actually really like Dog Years and Virtuality. Musically speaking, they're both really energetic and interesting, and I don't find the lyrics as appalling as others seem to. Plus, there's a complete absence of any truly horrible songs. I'd rate it a 6.5/10. Just slightly less enjoyable than Counterparts, but a solid effort.

I agree with the categories where the songs fit into (great/good/okay) except that i would include totem in the great category, and im on the edge for putting time & motion in that category as well

I also agree with ur little bit on virtuality and dog years, & that this album has a lack of any truly bad songs. i don't see why people are so hateful towards it(especially dog years).

only thing id change is the rating of the album, which id put at an 8.5, because everytime i listen to the album i thoroughly enjoy it. No complaints when listening to the album, another great ass rush record.

2.gif

After 79 votes:

Rating = 6.43

Color of Right, Totem, Time and Motion, Dog Years, and Carve Away The Stone are some of my least favorite Rush songs and are pretty forgettable to me. The title track's alright. Resist (especially the acoustic version), Half the World, Driven (DS version is epic), and Virtuality (I have to tune out the lyrics but musically its very good) are all high points of the album.

This album just seems like leftover ideas from CP that weren't good enough to make it onto the album. A lot of the songs have good musical ideas but it seems uninspired to me. I can't listen through the whole album.

Edited by ColdFireYYZ

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Apr 13 2012, 11:51 PM)

This album just seems like leftover ideas from CP that weren't good enough to make it onto the album. A lot of the songs have good musical ideas but it seems uninspired to me. I can't listen through the whole album.

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (goose @ Apr 13 2012, 11:53 PM)
QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Apr 13 2012, 11:51 PM)

goodpost.gif

goodpost.gif I'll second that. It's really the only Rush album I can't get all the way through. Pure drudgery.

....except Carve Away the Stone. I usually just skip the whole album and go right to that tune smile.gif

I like Driven too.... especially the live versions 1022.gif

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ Apr 14 2012, 12:09 AM)
....except Carve Away the Stone. I usually just skip the whole album and go right to that tune smile.gif

- Sisyphus -

Which is who I feel like trying to get through this collection. I can enjoy these songs as parts, but in its entirety, T4E is almost unlistenable for me.

I find that this, like VT, is best listened to as part of a larger, shuffled playlist. And even then, Dog Years, Virtuality and Carve Away the Stone need to be removed from said playlist.

Driven is a Rush classic. I'll put that up against any other song in the catalog. The title track is good, but the lyrics are a *little* clunky in parts. Totem is great. Half the World is good - it doesn't bother me nearly as much as some other people. Half the Rush fans hate what half the Rush fans... nevermind. Resist is great. There's only 3-4 songs that I really adore, a couple that are okay, and the rest are either forgettable or just plain embarrassing (Dog Years).

Only a 6 overall.

There's some good songs on this but there's some bad songs too, some ok songs and no really great songs.

I like the production especially the drums, best songs: Test for Echo, Driven, Time and Motion, Carve Away the Stone, Resist, Totem.

Overall a 6.

Yeah I gave it a 7 too. Mostly good, a coupla clunkers. I for 1 think Time & Motions one of the best of the album.

Hey treeduck, whos the girl in your sig? Is she some Page 6 girl er somthin? She's pretty hot.

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Apr 15 2012, 02:24 PM)
a solid 3...

laugh.gif

The journey from Presto to Test For Echo was exciting. There were bumps along the way, but I was glad to be there. It has some really good songs, some weird songs and a few cringe worthy lyrics. It's like that on a lot of Rush albums. Thematically it is all over the place, but with time it sounds better to me than it did when it came out. Driven is one of my favorite Rush songs, especially live. The worst part was that I missed the tour.