Can Rush really pull this off?

GeminiRising79

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SlyJeff @ Apr 7 2012, 05:36 PM)
QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Apr 6 2012, 08:28 AM)
I can't recall one popular rock group who's been able to release a "twilight"album that hasn't been the embodiment of crap.

IMO, S&A was such an album. It really is one of my favorite Rush albums.

+1

It's a beautiful collection of songs.

QUOTE (eshine @ Apr 7 2012, 10:16 PM)
QUOTE (SlyJeff @ Apr 7 2012, 05:36 PM)
I can't recall one popular rock group who's been able to release a "twilight"album that hasn't been the embodiment of crap.

IMO, S&A was such an album. It really is one of my favorite Rush albums.

+1

It's a beautiful collection of songs.

I concur, Well written and beautifully mixed!

applaudit.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif applaudit.gif

Edited by losingit2k

QUOTE (presto123 @ Apr 8 2012, 04:54 AM)
I respect all of your admiration for SnA but CA will blow it away thank you very much. 1022.gif

Oh, I'm sure about that! Which is why I feel CA is goign to be such a great album! I thought S & A was great, so CA seems to be inline to blow it out of the water, so CA is going to be EPIC!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Apr 8 2012, 07:54 PM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ Apr 8 2012, 04:54 AM)
I respect all of your admiration for SnA but CA will blow it away thank you very much. 1022.gif

Oh, I'm sure about that! Which is why I feel CA is goign to be such a great album! I thought S & A was great, so CA seems to be inline to blow it out of the water, so CA is going to be EPIC!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

I hope you and I are both right 653.gif

I can't recall one popular rock group who's been able to release a "twilight"album that hasn't been the embodiment of crap. From what I've heard thus far, despite my criticisms, my excitement is, surprisingly, becoming aroused. Can this be the album I've been pineing for, for over a decade?

I always approach a new Rush album with an open mind. But it's been a long, long time since thye came up with something worth the materials it was made out of and I think it very unlikely that the new album will be worthwhile.

I expect it to be just as bad as the last two, but as always am ready to be pleasantly surprised.

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ Apr 6 2012, 07:55 PM)
QUOTE (lifeson90 @ Apr 6 2012, 06:30 PM)
based on caravan and bu2b in particular i think there's reason for hope that CA could be what VT was to T4E and or what CP was to RTB............. there's a big big chance this could be an epic album

It is interesting how Roll The Bones was meh, and then they came back big with Counterparts (awesome), and then more meh with Test For Echo, and then more awesome with Vapor Trails.

S&A was kinda meh for me, so I'll wager Clockwork Angels is gonna rock!

1022.gif

Ahhh! So there's an 'Even-Numbered Star Trek Movies' thing* going on here with Rush, you say?

*Not including Nemesis / Star Trek 2009, which completely destroyed this old pattern.

I can't recall one popular rock group who's been able to release a "twilight"album that hasn't been the embodiment of crap. From what I've heard thus far, despite my criticisms, my excitement is, surprisingly, becoming aroused. Can this be the album I've been pineing for, for over a decade?

Anyone else, critics especially, experiencing positive intuition here?

Of course they can pull it off. Will they? Who the heck knows. The album could end up being terrible, or be a great last hurrah for them. We have no idea right now.

I'm just not letting myself get fired up for it because they havent put out an album ive genuinely loved in like 2 decades. They're just an entirely different band than the one I fell in love with in the early 80s, so I kind of expect the worst and hope for the best this way I dont be completely let down if it turns out that I dont love it.

QUOTE (Del_Duio @ Apr 9 2012, 07:24 AM)
based on caravan and bu2b in particular i think there's reason for hope that CA could be what VT was to T4E and or what CP was to RTB............. there's a big big chance this could be an epic album

It is interesting how Roll The Bones was meh, and then they came back big with Counterparts (awesome), and then more meh with Test For Echo, and then more awesome with Vapor Trails.

1022.gif

Ahhh! So there's an 'Even-Numbered Star Trek Movies' thing* going on here with Rush, you say?

*Not including Nemesis / Star Trek 2009, which completely destroyed this old pattern.

It funny how people see things, I thought the only MEh albums there were T4E and VT! To me S & A was better than all the other albums mentioned with the execption of CP which I felt was about the same.

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (Del_Duio @ Apr 9 2012, 07:24 AM)

1022.gif

biggrin.gif Exactly.

For what it's worth...I just sent a tweet to Jeremy Rosen (@rrusa) - Engineering Tech at Roadrunner Records.

Here's what he replied with:

Q) What do you think of what you've heard so far from the new Rush album?

A) Heard 3 songs last week. Like one, blown away by two.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Apr 9 2012, 02:37 PM)
For what it's worth...I just sent a tweet to Jeremy Rosen (@rrusa) - Engineering Tech at Roadrunner Records.

Nicely done bro, I was hitting him up on Twitter myself today and noticed that. Nice at least they do these Q&A sessions... new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Before the Q&A I was asking him if they might grant us (for the love of god) a little news today, maybe even throw out a 30 second clip of ear-candy...

He just said "Not in the cards today. Sorry!".

I also asked him if it is true, that Headlong might be getting some limited airplay on Wednesday as some folks have been mentioning. He didn't reply to that one. Yet.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Apr 9 2012, 01:37 PM)

Very nice

that's great and all but i don't think he would tell you anything less than good or great to describe the songs. he and the company are in the business to sell records and make money. also, is he telling you he listened to 3 new tunes including headlong flight, or decribing caravan, bu2b, and headlong flight?

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Apr 9 2012, 07:37 PM)

Ah, it was you!

I just posted this in the Headlong Flight thread laugh.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Apr 9 2012, 02:44 PM)

Very nice

I was already blown away by Caravan and BU2B so this is looking downright promising. 1022.gif Still keeping my expectations in check a little because I got burnt somewhat by SnA after hearing Far Cry. To answer Reflected Light question these were three NEW songs. I remember him tweeting a week or so ago that he was about to hear three new Rush songs.

Edited by presto123

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Apr 9 2012, 03:48 PM)

that's great and all but i don't think he would tell you anything less than good or great to describe the songs. he and the company are in the business to sell records and make money. also, is he telling you he listened to 3 new tunes including headlong flight, or decribing caravan, bu2b, and headlong flight?

Supposedly...it was 3 NEW songs.

He had posted last week (on the day it happened), that he was treated to three brand new tracks, one of which I am pretty sure was Headlong Flight.

Again...I just posted it to keep people in the loop with what I've heard. At the end of the day, we are talking music, so we all know that each one of us will have our own opinions on the tracks.

I did like that bit of honesty though...he could've easily said "blown away by all three songs", but he made mention that he "liked 1", which seems to mean, it was good but not as good as the other two.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Apr 6 2012, 07:55 AM)
i have my doubts based on hearing caravan and bu2b but hoping they can squeeze out a few more good ones.

Drinking more water should help.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Apr 9 2012, 02:00 PM)

He had posted last week (on the day it happened), that he was treated to three brand new tracks, one of which I am pretty sure was Headlong Flight.

Again...I just posted it to keep people in the loop with what I've heard. At the end of the day, we are talking music, so we all know that each one of us will have our own opinions on the tracks.

I did like that bit of honesty though...he could've easily said "blown away by all three songs", but he made mention that he "liked 1", which seems to mean, it was good but not as good as the other two.

That's a trick. You give one a mediocre score to seem more realistic. Not saying it's not true, but it's not automatically true wink.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 9 2012, 04:41 PM)
QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Apr 9 2012, 02:00 PM)

That's a trick. You give one a mediocre score to seem more realistic. Not saying it's not true, but it's not automatically true wink.gif

Yep...but I'm not concerned.

I think I'll like it...I certainly hope so! trink38.gif

I interpret that response in realspeak as: "didn't like one, the other two were just ok"