Can Rush really pull this off?

GeminiRising79

as a longtime fan, i'd really like to think highly of CA...S&A was kind of a let down for me...of course, the downside to a well-received CA is that it could seal the band to a seinfeld-like fate: going out while you're on top. i mean, if the album and the tour are very successful and well-liked, why risk making a "final" album that is a let down? maybe no album after CA and just and R40/goodbye tour?

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (gedfan @ Apr 6 2012, 05:55 PM)
as a longtime fan, i'd really like to think highly of CA...S&A was kind of a let down for me...of course, the downside to a well-received CA is that it could seal the band to a seinfeld-like fate: going out while you're on top. i mean, if the album and the tour are very successful and well-liked, why risk making a "final" album that is a let down? maybe no album after CA and just and R40/goodbye tour?

That's something I really hate thinking about.. The end is inevitable, but I don't like thinking about it at all.

QUOTE (Gilbertk @ Apr 6 2012, 05:57 PM)
QUOTE (gedfan @ Apr 6 2012, 05:55 PM)
as a longtime fan, i'd really like to think highly of CA...S&A was kind of a let down for me...of course, the downside to a well-received CA is that it could seal the band to a seinfeld-like fate:  going out while you're on top.  i mean, if the album and the tour are very successful and well-liked, why risk making a "final" album that is a let down?  maybe no album after CA and just and R40/goodbye tour?

That's something I really hate thinking about.. The end is inevitable, but I don't like thinking about it at all.

absolutely...but might as well go out on top, right? i mean, if they can close again, right?

They may get old, but you don't lose your musicianship through a few years. SnA was fantastic.. musically at least, and lyrically just as good. People have their doubts. But I think it'll be incredible.

I've got it, Rush are going to release Clockwork Angels individually mixed and produced according to which Rush album is your favourite.

So you can have the Debut album version,Fly by Night version,Caress of Steel version........I think you get my drift. That way they will make all Rush fans happy.

QUOTE (tas7 @ Apr 6 2012, 07:21 PM)
I've got it, Rush are going to release Clockwork Angels individually mixed and produced according to which Rush album is your favourite.
So you can have the Debut album version,Fly by Night version,Caress of Steel version........I think you get my drift. That way they will make all Rush fans happy.

I sure as hell hope they give a bulk discount then.

I'd need the Hemispheres, MP, P/g!, PoW, HYF, CP and S&A versions tongue.gif

based on caravan and bu2b in particular i think there's reason for hope that CA could be what VT was to T4E and or what CP was to RTB............. there's a big big chance this could be an epic album Edited by lifeson90

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Apr 6 2012, 08:28 AM)
I can't recall one popular rock group who's been able to release a "twilight"album that hasn't been the embodiment of crap. From what I've heard thus far, despite my criticisms, my excitement is, surprisingly, becoming aroused. Can this be the album I've been pineing for, for over a decade?

Anyone else, critics especially, experiencing positive intuition here?

Van Halen has released a pretty awesome twilight record, thanks.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 6 2012, 06:33 PM)
I can't recall one popular rock group who's been able to release a "twilight"album that hasn't been the embodiment of crap.  From what I've heard thus far, despite my criticisms, my excitement is, surprisingly, becoming aroused.  Can this be the album I've been pineing for, for over a decade? 

Van Halen has released a pretty awesome twilight record, thanks.

far from awesome imo.

tattoo is an absolute embarrassment. wacko.gif

It's all subjective. Some people think Presto and COS are the greatest things invented since the wheel. Seriously. Some people think Rush died after Moving Puctures. It's all about taste and expectations. Im just thankful these guys are still rolling. Nobody's opinion should be slammed, just try not to be too one sided in your views.....negative or positive....it takes away your credibility.

Good luck to all for CA! Hope it ends up high In your esteem and only affirms and validates your love and respect for the band.

I'll assume you're being serious for once. So I'm going to say maybe. I loved Caravan/BU2B, but the descriptions of the album we're getting from the critics are less than promising to me. I'm excited for the album, but my expectations aren't too high.

No fights. wink.gif But I reckon I've been paying a bit more attention to VH fan reaction than the person who heard the first single and didn't like it too, so...

I agree with the OP, however, that it's not common that bands do some great, great work in their 11th hour. But it does happen. Of course that's also a matter of opinion too. I loved Snakes & Arrows where some others haven't too. Thank God nothing is fool-proof or universal. Like everyone else, I subscribe to what I like and if no one else gets it, that's their problem. My version of "Yeah, they did it!!" is someone else's "are you kidding me?"...and vice versa.

Edited by Presto-digitation

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Apr 6 2012, 06:52 PM)
I'll assume you're being serious for once. So I'm going to say maybe. I loved Caravan/BU2B, but the descriptions of the album we're getting from the critics are less than promising to me. I'm excited for the album, but my expectations aren't too high.

Less than promising? All the reviews are glowing for the most part. What reviews are you reading? If you liked Caravan and BU2B there will probably be even better songs on there.

QUOTE (presto123 @ Apr 6 2012, 07:00 PM)

Less than promising? All the reviews are glowing for the most part. What reviews are you reading? If you liked Caravan and BU2B there will probably be even better songs on there.

I think that's a likely conclusion. I really doubt we've heard the best two songs on the album. Probably not the worst either. I'm down with that. I like both tunes. I'm more into their Prince tune (BU2CU2-Nite..wha, wha?) than Caravan, but the latter grew on me a lot.

I can't recall one popular rock group who's been able to release a "twilight"album that hasn't been the embodiment of crap.  From what I've heard thus far, despite my criticisms, my excitement is, surprisingly, becoming aroused.  Can this be the album I've been pineing for, for over a decade? 

Rush is the only group I know that can still deliver the goods. Snake and Arrows rpoved that they can still write. Now Clockwork Angels is going to prove that the are still the masters of Prog Metal!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Edited by losingit2k

QUOTE (presto123 @ Apr 6 2012, 06:00 PM)

Glowing eh? Yeah sure......

QUOTE (presto123 @ Apr 6 2012, 06:00 PM)

Links to these glowing reviews please....

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Apr 6 2012, 10:23 AM)
QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Apr 6 2012, 09:29 AM)
QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Apr 6 2012, 08:45 AM)
Can this be the album I've been pineing for, for over a decade?

NO. You'll just invent another reason to slam it.

Perceived-as-negative poster makes optimistic/positive post about Rush and is slammed for it. Guess I'd better not change, lol.

I didn't slam you at all. I gave a valid and reasonable prediction of how you will react to the new album. The prediction was based on the countless number of negative, hostile, and even pathological posts you've made about Rush's music.

Pathologic? What credentials do you hold to make that diagnosis?

QUOTE (Mika @ Apr 6 2012, 05:03 PM)
QUOTE (driventotheedge @ Apr 6 2012, 12:34 PM)
BTW, my happy juice has a head on it  trink39.gif    though I LOVE coffee too.

Ok, I took that comment so, so wrongly. I was thoroughly taken aback until I realized you were, in fact, referring to beer. Which makes a little more sense.

Lmao. Get your mind out of the gutter lol