Can Rush really pull this off?

GeminiRising79

QUOTE (lifeson90 @ Apr 6 2012, 06:30 PM)
based on caravan and bu2b in particular i think there's reason for hope that CA could be what VT was to T4E and or what CP was to RTB............. there's a big big chance this could be an epic album

It is interesting how Roll The Bones was meh, and then they came back big with Counterparts (awesome), and then more meh with Test For Echo, and then more awesome with Vapor Trails.

S&A was kinda meh for me, so I'll wager Clockwork Angels is gonna rock!

1022.gif

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Apr 6 2012, 07:49 PM)
QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Apr 6 2012, 10:23 AM)
QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Apr 6 2012, 09:29 AM)
QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Apr 6 2012, 08:45 AM)
QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Apr 6 2012, 08:28 AM)
Can this be the album I've been pineing for, for over a decade?

NO. You'll just invent another reason to slam it.

Perceived-as-negative poster makes optimistic/positive post about Rush and is slammed for it. Guess I'd better not change, lol.

I didn't slam you at all. I gave a valid and reasonable prediction of how you will react to the new album. The prediction was based on the countless number of negative, hostile, and even pathological posts you've made about Rush's music.

Pathologic? What credentials do you hold to make that diagnosis?

No diagnosis. Just a conclusion, based on the many loony posts that you've made. While other people have publically concluded that you're just a troll, I choose to believe that you're simply a bit "loony".

But it's all good. Post as you please. 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

I honestly think they could pull off an awesome album. It's not going to be Hemispheres or Moving Pictures or anything like that. But I'd love it if Clockwork Angels was talked about among some of their best work when Rush does call it a day. And I would also love to agree with that opinion laugh.gif

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Apr 6 2012, 09:28 AM)
I can't recall one popular rock group who's been able to release a "twilight"album that hasn't been the embodiment of crap. From what I've heard thus far, despite my criticisms, my excitement is, surprisingly, becoming aroused. Can this be the album I've been pineing for, for over a decade?

Anyone else, critics especially, experiencing positive intuition here?

Those guys that did the Macarena were old so there is hope.

QUOTE (HemispheresserehpsimeH @ Apr 6 2012, 08:14 PM)
I honestly think they could pull off an awesome album. It's not going to be Hemispheres or Moving Pictures or anything like that. But I'd love it if Clockwork Angels was talked about among some of their best work when Rush does call it a day. And I would also love to agree with that opinion laugh.gif

As long as the album reflects the investment/application of seriously intelligent, hard work, and exudes some form of chemistry and passion, we have a winner imo.

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Apr 6 2012, 07:23 PM)

As long as the album reflects the investment/application of seriously intelligent, hard work, and exudes some form of chemistry and passion, we have a winner imo.

And on the day of release, you'll be here telling us that they didn't put any hard work into it, had no passion, screwed up the workflow, listened to much to their producer and other sundry complaints and trollishness.

Because that's just what you do.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 6 2012, 09:28 PM)

And on the day of release, you'll be here telling us that they didn't put any hard work into it, had no passion, screwed up the workflow, listened to much to their producer and other sundry complaints and trollishness.

He's falling into the evil Neil Peart's trap!

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 6 2012, 07:28 PM)

maybe he will like it....

I hope that they maximize the dynamic range on this one so that is crisp, don't want endless remasters. I thought I'd found Headlong Flight on a site's player, got really excited but the actual song hadn't arrived yet.

I hope for a mini epic like The Camera Eye or Natural Science, and a decent instrumental as the later instrumentals were never in the same league as La Villa or YYZ.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 6 2012, 08:28 PM)

And you'll continue to bitch about things that are over your head.

I honestly don't know if they can pull this off or not.

Twice in Rush's history they've come back from two mediocre or bad albums and redeemed themselves with great or really good albums (CP and S&A). This shows me that even when I think they've lost it, they can still surprise me with some great material, even in the twilight of their career.

That said, I would be a whole hell of a lot more optimistic if not for Caravan and BU2B, which I wasn't crazy about. It sure makes it hard to think the album will be stellar when I already know I don't like the first two tracks they released. I'm hopeful for 2 or 3 great tracks, but that's all I can really hope for. I'd love to be wrong and have a really great album or a mostly great album.

Most groups who've been around for 30-40 years make crappy albums. The exceptions are almost non-existent.

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Apr 6 2012, 07:49 PM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 6 2012, 08:28 PM)

And you'll continue to bitch about things that are over your head.

The only thing I bitch about around here is you, and believe me, you are not over my head. I've had you figured out for quite a long time.

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Apr 6 2012, 07:33 PM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 6 2012, 07:28 PM)

maybe he will like it....

He might. But honestly? I think that even if he does, he won't admit it because then he wouldn't be able to be the resident troll anymore.

But you never know, I guess. Stranger things have happened.

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Apr 6 2012, 07:41 PM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ Apr 6 2012, 06:00 PM)
QUOTE (USB Connector @ Apr 6 2012, 06:52 PM)
I'll assume you're being serious for once. So I'm going to say maybe. I loved Caravan/BU2B, but the descriptions of the album we're getting from the critics are less than promising to me. I'm excited for the album, but my expectations aren't too high.

Less than promising? All the reviews are glowing for the most part. What reviews are you reading? If you liked Caravan and BU2B there will probably be even better songs on there.

Links to these glowing reviews please....

Have you not been reading all the comments by people that have heard Headlong Flight? OK....maybe not glowing reviews of the whole record(although someone said it sounds like 80's Rush which is glowing to me) yet but people are going nuts over the HF track.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Apr 6 2012, 06:55 PM)
We already know the type of Rush fan that will love it and the type of Rush fan that will hate it.

Most people assumed I would hate S&A and I didn't, not at all. I think most everyone will judge each new album on its own merits, regardless of what they think of modern day Rush or their discography in general.

I would imagine that almost everyone who isn't a big fan of modern day Rush and is expecting a mediocre or bad album would LOVE to be wrong and have an kick-ass album that they thoroughly enjoy. The album will either hold up or it won't, but I really doubt anyone is so prejudiced that they'll like it or dislike it just based on principle (not like you're saying any of this, mind you).

QUOTE (presto123 @ Apr 6 2012, 09:01 PM)
I'll assume you're being serious for once. So I'm going to say maybe. I loved Caravan/BU2B, but the descriptions of the album we're getting from the critics are less than promising to me. I'm excited for the album, but my expectations aren't too high.

Less than promising? All the reviews are glowing for the most part. What reviews are you reading? If you liked Caravan and BU2B there will probably be even better songs on there.

Have you not been reading all the comments by people that have heard Headlong Flight? OK....maybe not glowing reviews of the whole record(although someone said it sounds like 80's Rush which is glowing to me) yet but people are going nuts over the HF track.

should we recap? wacko.gif

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Apr 6 2012, 10:28 PM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ Apr 6 2012, 09:01 PM)

should we recap? wacko.gif

Please no.

Let's just wait a few more days and hear for ourselves.

I know I'm not taking any of these comparisons into consideration. Like I said before...it makes no sense to judge their new albums to old material.

Just say...is it good? Or is it not? wacko.gif