The Keys are back?

losingit2k

Which style of keyboards will show up on CA?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Which style of keyboards will show up on CA?

• 2112 (Mellotron)
    • A Farewell to Kings-Hemispheres (Moog)
    • Permanent Waves-Moving Pictures (Moog and Keyboards)
    • Subdivions- (Heavy powerful -Keyboards)
    • Grace Under Pressure (General Keyboards)
    • Power Windows-Hold Your Fire (Full out Kyeboards)
    • Presto- Roll the Bones (Layered Keyboards)
    • All of the Above

Excellent!! If it sounds like MP or Signals, We're in for a GREAT album! yes.gif trink39.gif

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

I definitely hope its more like the earlier keys from the 70s. The 80s stuff was ok for those songs, but it would be so goofy in 2012. 70s though is a bit cooler and less hokey so that stuff could work I think.

More than anything though I hope they are just there to fill out the sound, like Mars Volta does to add interesting textures to their songs. No lame keyboard solos please.

Edited by trenken

the subtle keyboards in bu2b are some of the most beautiful and atmospheric Ged ever played in rush

you can feel the maturity and development from his last use of keyboards, probably the reason for their inclusion... like he knew they would add something this time

Edited by lifeson90

QUOTE (lifeson90 @ Mar 29 2012, 02:31 PM)
the subtle keyboards in bu2b are some of the most beautiful and atmospheric Ged ever played in rush

you can feel the maturity and development from his last use of keyboards, probably the reason for their inclusion... like he knew they would add something this time

are there really keys in BU2B?? what part of the song are they in?!

I'm not yet counting on the keys being back until I hear it from a credible source. I hope it's true but just saying. Some guy over at Counterparts that supposedly knows a guy that heard the record is still not a credible source.

QUOTE (FountainOfSyrinx @ Mar 29 2012, 03:11 PM)

I like them in BU2B but I always thought they need to be brought up in the mix more. Hopefully they took care of that smile.gif

I'm hoping for the keys to be used mostly to add texture and atmosphere to the music, but I would love to hear at least one keyboard solo on the album that has a similar flow to Sudivisions' solo. If the keyboards have a purpose in the songs and aren't just thrown in for the hell of it, it will really be a great return for the keys.

The keys used on BU2B were great, but I agree with presto123, they should be brought up in the mix a bit more.

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Mar 29 2012, 04:31 PM)
There are keyboards both in BU2B and Caravan and that's about the level I'd expect them in the rest of them album. Just a little bit of color.

Yeah I think that's kind of the best way to use keys these days. Fill out the sound, make it feel more interesting, maybe a little more techy in a way, but shouldnt really stand out like what they were doing with them in the 80s. That would just be incredibly out of place for a band who has ALWAYS reflected what's going on around them.

Outside of hipster rock, keys are mostly there just as accents and to add some atmosphere, so hearing the first 2 tracks from CA, Im expecting about the same as them.

QUOTE (trenken @ Mar 29 2012, 06:02 PM)
QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Mar 29 2012, 04:31 PM)
There are keyboards both in BU2B and Caravan and that's about the level I'd expect them in the rest of them album. Just a little bit of color.

Yeah I think that's kind of the best way to use keys these days. Fill out the sound, make it feel more interesting, maybe a little more techy in a way, but shouldnt really stand out like what they were doing with them in the 80s. That would just be incredibly out of place for a band who has ALWAYS reflected what's going on around them.

Outside of hipster rock, keys are mostly there just as accents and to add some atmosphere, so hearing the first 2 tracks from CA, Im expecting about the same as them.

Well if the keys are more in the vain of Counterparts I'm not sure why the guy would say it sounds like an 80's record? I'm hoping for a little more prominent keys than we got with Caravan and BU2B although I do love those songs.

QUOTE (FountainOfSyrinx @ Mar 29 2012, 03:11 PM)

try from 58 secs in

they actually come in a little earlier than that but almost too subtle to hear in background

Edited by lifeson90

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Mar 29 2012, 09:42 PM)
Voted for layered...might have gone with the general, GUP-style, but I don't think they'll be that prominent.

I agree , I wanted to vote for the GUP era but, I didn't think they would be so up front!

no.gif

I think the Key will be mostly layered with some moog solos like in Tom Sawyer or The Trees! And maybe some chords held out like in YYZ or Mission! wub.gif I can only wish!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Edited by losingit2k

On the last tour Geddy used a Roland Fantom X7 and a Mini Moog reissue. So there is great promise ALL of the synthesizer sounds from EVERY era of Rush have a possibility of being represented . From Oberheims to Jupiters,Wave PPG,Moog ect . If this CD is everything the reviews say it is then I will happy of course . but after SnA I do have a twinge of skepticism.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Mar 30 2012, 01:52 AM)
More keys generally means less Lerxst. That's bad so I don't expect them to be back thaaaaaat much.

??? less lerxt in la villa for example?

great keyboards from Ged just mean Al gotta dance more between em... i luv the way Al dances with Ged's keyboards

more of ged's great keyboards means more quality Alex imo

Edited by lifeson90

QUOTE (lifeson90 @ Mar 30 2012, 07:55 AM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Mar 30 2012, 01:52 AM)
More keys generally means less Lerxst. That's bad so I don't expect them to be back thaaaaaat much.

??? less lerxt in la villa for example?

great keyboards from Ged just mean Al gotta dance more between em... i luv the way Al dances with Ged's keyboards

more of ged's great greatboards means more quality Alex imo

Some of my favorite solos form Alex are over Geddy's Keyboards! I can't Wait!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif