The Underrated

Archangel717

QUOTE (goose @ Mar 24 2012, 03:59 PM)
QUOTE (Del_Duio @ Mar 15 2012, 07:16 AM)
Maybe not in Australia, but....

MIDNIGHT OIL

Best live band I've ever seen, last show I saw was in 2002 shortly before they finally disbanded after 30 something years. The guys were probably almost 50 and the energy level was insane. My #1 favorite band.

Here's a live clip from a song they almost never played off their 1985 EP Species Deceases:

Blossom and Blood live

This one's even better & from the same concert, it's an early version of Bullroarer which would later go on their Diesel & Dust album (the one with Beds are Burning on it):

Bullroarer live, 1987

1022.gif

These guys are great! "10...1", of course, is perfect. "Red sails..." is solid too. I've always wanted to see them live, but alas...

Yes!

I was a fan for about 10 years before I was able to see them live. I saw them 3 times during the end of 2001-2002 which of course was at the end of their careers but I didn't know that at the time. I'm glad I lucked out.

Right about 10-1!

Red Sails is underrated IMO. You should check out the live clips of their Oils on the Water concert back in '85 on Youtube. It's from the Red Sails tour and they do some B-sides like Generals, Minutes to Midnight, Sleep, and Jimmy Sharman's Boxers for it. I think the other half of the concert's made up of 10-1 songs too. Very good show all around.

Nevermore.

A very good metal band with clean vocals from Seattle who have been together for about 20 years now. Their sound can't really be calssified too well since they combine elements of traditional, thrash and progressive metal all in one. They are currently on hiatus due to some inner band turmoil but still worth checking out if you're a metal fan. Fantastic musicianship and vocals.

Here's a few samples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6wMY4An3RE

Catherine Wheel

The Church

Dramarama

Helmet

Jawbox

Kitchens of Distinction

PJ Harvey

Placebo

Screaming Trees

The Smithereens

Social Distortion

Sugar

Swervedriver

QUOTE (invisible airwave @ Mar 29 2012, 04:51 PM)
QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Mar 28 2012, 09:54 PM)

Social Distortion

goodpost.gif

x2

Love their version of Ring of Fire.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Mar 29 2012, 06:20 PM)
QUOTE (invisible airwave @ Mar 29 2012, 04:51 PM)

Social Distortion

goodpost.gif

x2

Love their version of Ring of Fire.

Urging my band to add this one.

QUOTE (Del_Duio @ Mar 26 2012, 07:14 AM)
QUOTE (goose @ Mar 24 2012, 03:59 PM)
QUOTE (Del_Duio @ Mar 15 2012, 07:16 AM)
Maybe not in Australia, but....

MIDNIGHT OIL

Best live band I've ever seen, last show I saw was in 2002 shortly before they finally disbanded after 30 something years. The guys were probably almost 50 and the energy level was insane. My #1 favorite band.

Here's a live clip from a song they almost never played off their 1985 EP Species Deceases:

Blossom and Blood live

This one's even better & from the same concert, it's an early version of Bullroarer which would later go on their Diesel & Dust album (the one with Beds are Burning on it):

Bullroarer live, 1987

1022.gif

These guys are great! "10...1", of course, is perfect. "Red sails..." is solid too. I've always wanted to see them live, but alas...

Yes!

I was a fan for about 10 years before I was able to see them live. I saw them 3 times during the end of 2001-2002 which of course was at the end of their careers but I didn't know that at the time. I'm glad I lucked out.

Right about 10-1!

Red Sails is underrated IMO. You should check out the live clips of their Oils on the Water concert back in '85 on Youtube. It's from the Red Sails tour and they do some B-sides like Generals, Minutes to Midnight, Sleep, and Jimmy Sharman's Boxers for it. I think the other half of the concert's made up of 10-1 songs too. Very good show all around.

I'll check those clips for sure! Thanks for the tip.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (driventotheedge @ Mar 31 2012, 02:21 PM)
QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Mar 28 2012, 07:54 PM)
Dramarama

Saw them open for The Cult in San Diego in '92. Liked 'em and figured they'd get big. wtf.gif

I'm scratching my head on that one too. Everyone I have ever turned onto this band loves them. confused13.gif

QUOTE (Archangel717 @ Mar 28 2012, 08:30 AM)
Dio

Most of the bands the bands you're posting are either:

fairly - or even overrated bands (eg: bowling for soup)

good, but definitely not "underrated" bands (eg: Dio)

QUOTE (Archangel717 @ Mar 29 2012, 05:43 PM)
Social Distortion

yes.gif Atom Willard is one of the best drummers out there. (Discounting Neil of course)

Saw these guys live once and Mike Ness is one cool bad ass motherfukker! trink39.gif

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Mar 30 2012, 06:06 PM)
Yes post-Relayer. Going for the One and Tormato are really awesome. 1022.gif Don't know why everyone bashes those.

Agreed! Tormato especially gets bashed severely, and it's a great album! yes.gif

For me the most underrated group is the Cocteau Twins. Mind you, the group isn't exactly traditionally maligned or anything, they just don't get the credit they deserve. Completely brilliant and completely original. yes.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 3 2012, 02:20 AM)
For me the most underrated group is the Cocteau Twins. Mind you, the group isn't exactly traditionally maligned or anything, they just don't get the credit they deserve. Completely brilliant and completely original. yes.gif

Absolutely agree with you. They were one of the best bands of the 80's.