pre-order on amazon

RUSHFREAK101

QUOTE (Presto-a RUSH fan! @ Mar 8 2012, 02:23 AM)
While I am an Amazon freak and have an Amazon Prime membership, there is NO WAY I am pre-ordering this on Amazon. For one, the odds of getting it the day it comes out, even with two day shipping is low.

Second, sometimes they get so overwhelmed your order gets delayed. On the TMT BluRay, Amazon still had it on pre-order after it was out in the stores for like a month. Granted it was because of problems with the discs, but it's not worth the wait unless you aren't by a Best Buy or music store.

And the price is ridiculous. Maybe it's because it will be a two disc set or they will give you a book or something with it, but they are supposed to give you the lowest price even after you pre-order, if the price goes down, they are supposed to lower it. In my experience, if you don't watch the price fluctuations, you may end up paying more. Once I preordered Rush-2112+Moving Pictures Classic Album Special Edition (DVD/BluRay/2CD) for $27.99 and had to call and get them to give me the lowest price with their "Pre-order Low Price guarantee" and the cust serv rep had no clue what the lowest the price was, so I had to tell him the lowest price I saw, which was $22.99 (who knows, it could have went even lower). If I wouldn't have caught that, I would have paid $5 more (I shoulda said it was $10 less!) Anyway, anyone on the fence as to whether to pre-order, I say go to your local record store!

And if you did pre-order, you can cancel it at any time!

And I say that in *my* experience, everything you said has been the exact opposite for me. I've never had any trouble getting things on the release date, I've never had an issue getting things late - when I order 2-day, I get it 2-day. I've never had the price go up on me, but I've frequently received emails from Amazon saying that the final price was lower than what I pre-ordered at and that's what I got charged.

Your experience with the price match is an outlier - it's not the norm. You are one of a relative handful of people that the system hiccuped on. If it were the norm there would be whole sites dedicated to bashing Amazon's service, but there aren't.

Your statement that the odds of getting it on release day are low is based only on your experience. My experience, backed up by the lack of massive complaints online, trumps yours, IMO.

And even if I don't get it on release day, I'll be downloading it off Usenet at about 12:15am anyway, so I'll be listening long before any of you guys anyway wink.gif z7shysterical.gif

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good date - I had my Meet and Greet with the boys on May 29 2011!!

Now I need a time machine to travel forward. yes.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Mar 8 2012, 10:26 AM)
While I am an Amazon freak and have an Amazon Prime membership, there is NO WAY I am pre-ordering this on Amazon. For one, the odds of getting it the day it comes out, even with two day shipping is low.

Second, sometimes they get so overwhelmed your order gets delayed. On the TMT BluRay, Amazon still had it on pre-order after it was out in the stores for like a month. Granted it was because of problems with the discs, but it's not worth the wait unless you aren't by a Best Buy or music store.

And the price is ridiculous. Maybe it's because it will be a two disc set or they will give you a book or something with it, but they are supposed to give you the lowest price even after you pre-order, if the price goes down, they are supposed to lower it. In my experience, if you don't watch the price fluctuations, you may end up paying more. Once I preordered Rush-2112+Moving Pictures Classic Album Special Edition (DVD/BluRay/2CD) for $27.99 and had to call and get them to give me the lowest price with their "Pre-order Low Price guarantee" and the cust serv rep had no clue what the lowest the price was, so I had to tell him the lowest price I saw, which was $22.99 (who knows, it could have went even lower). If I wouldn't have caught that, I would have paid $5 more (I shoulda said it was $10 less!) Anyway, anyone on the fence as to whether to pre-order, I say go to your local record store!

And I say that in *my* experience, everything you said has been the exact opposite for me. I've never had any trouble getting things on the release date, I've never had an issue getting things late - when I order 2-day, I get it 2-day. I've never had the price go up on me, but I've frequently received emails from Amazon saying that the final price was lower than what I pre-ordered at and that's what I got charged.

Your experience with the price match is an outlier - it's not the norm. You are one of a relative handful of people that the system hiccuped on. If it were the norm there would be whole sites dedicated to bashing Amazon's service, but there aren't.

Your statement that the odds of getting it on release day are low is based only on your experience. My experience, backed up by the lack of massive complaints online, trumps yours, IMO.

goodpost.gif

I have never had an issue with Amazon getting the item on release day when using 2-day shipping. I'm sure there are instances, as have been pointed out, but I think that is in the vast minority.

And, if something does happen with shipping, Amazon is great at giving you $. Just bitch and you will get a credit or the item for free. I only did that once (and it was not for a preorder - it was for something promised for Christmas that didn't arrive until the 28th). I got the item for free and an extra $5 in music DLs.

QUOTE (The K Man @ Mar 7 2012, 12:22 PM)
INB4 people who do the preorder bitch about not getting the CD on the release date, while those of us who smart enough to wait get it at Best Buy the minute it goes on sale on the 29th. tongue.gif

^^ this. It happens to folks time and again. Those who order it online end up waiting for it while the rest of us who bought it at the store are listening to it.

Buyer Beware!

It happens to folks time and again. Those who order it online end up waiting for it while the rest of us who bought it at the store are listening to it.

But for those of us in the boondocks its a matter of finding a freaking record store (do those even exist anymore?) or retail outlet that even has the album. The last three times Rush has released anything I have never been able to find it, or have been told that they only ordered a handful and sold out within an hour, or (as is the case most times) I get a puzzled, "Who?". So I end up having to order it anyway.

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Mar 8 2012, 11:02 AM)

goodpost.gif

I have never had an issue with Amazon getting the item on release day when using 2-day shipping. I'm sure there are instances, as have been pointed out, but I think that is in the vast minority.

And, if something does happen with shipping, Amazon is great at giving you $. Just bitch and you will get a credit or the item for free. I only did that once (and it was not for a preorder - it was for something promised for Christmas that didn't arrive until the 28th). I got the item for free and an extra $5 in music DLs.

In my experience, Amazon is aces. I have Prime, and new releases always arrive on release day. I'll tell you who WILL screw you if you pre-order: Best Buy. I ordered the TM blu ray from them. I could not get tracking or status, and it arrived 5 days after release date, shipped by some vendor via USPS. Online shopping at BB is bad news.

Presto, you got f*cked on the blu ray TM dvd at amazon only because Rush gave BB an exclusive on the TM blu ray, and no one else could sell the blu ray version until 12/20. As long as BB doesn't get an exclusive, Amazon will do right by you. trink39.gif

QUOTE (Lerxster @ Mar 8 2012, 01:03 PM)

goodpost.gif

In my experience, Amazon is aces. I have Prime, and new releases always arrive on release day. I'll tell you who WILL screw you if you pre-order: Best Buy. I ordered the TM blu ray from them. I could not get tracking or status, and it arrived 5 days after release date, shipped by some vendor via USPS. Online shopping at BB is bad news.

Presto, you got f*cked on the blu ray TM dvd at amazon only because Rush gave BB an exclusive on the TM blu ray, and no one else could sell the blu ray version until 12/20. As long as BB doesn't get an exclusive, Amazon will do right by you. trink39.gif

Oh, and for the record - when we ordered one of the Harry Potter DVDs and we actually got it the day before it was "released" thru Amazon smile.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Mar 7 2012, 09:26 PM)
QUOTE (Digitallware @ Mar 7 2012, 06:50 PM)
why bother pre-ordering? There wont be a shortage he he.

To get the absolute best price. Amazon hasn't failed me yet in that regard.

Oh after i read this...im going to pre order. I usually get my cd's from Bull Moose but Amazon may be cheaper !

Thankyu .

QUOTE (GUP1771 @ Mar 7 2012, 11:01 PM)
Pre-ordered. smile.gif

Gonna be my first new Rush album since becoming a fan! biggrin.gif

When was that ? Last week ohmy.gif

I trust Amazon, but I don't trust my mailman in my town. He sucks, always losing stuff or delivering it late. He's getting so bad at it that the mail used to arrive around noon, now it's 4pm or later. I can get to Best Buy and back before 4 o clock any day. No doubt which way I'm going on this one, too important!

QUOTE (GUP1771 @ Mar 8 2012, 04:10 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Mar 8 2012, 01:20 PM)
Pre-ordered. smile.gif

When was that ? Last week ohmy.gif

Huh?

Get it ? Your Young wink.gif

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Mar 8 2012, 01:09 PM)
QUOTE (Lerxster @ Mar 8 2012, 01:03 PM)

goodpost.gif

Oh, and for the record - when we ordered one of the Harry Potter DVDs and we actually got it the day before it was "released" thru Amazon smile.gif

it all depends on what kind of music you order from amazon. I have bad experience myself ordering imported stuff, because it's not as popular as a lot of music on Amazon. It would be improbable that the Rush cd would not be available on the release date unless this date is push back, which will know in a month or so. But you can always cancel your order and try to buy it from another store if they don't have it in time. The advantage of the pre-order system, it's the guarantee price.

From the RIAB post:

UPDATE - 3/8@1:01PM: For those of you wondering why the Amazon list price is $19.14, which is a little high for an audio CD. Rumor has it that a 5.1 mix will be included, which may account for the higher price, and which also might account for the delay in the release date (it was originally scheduled to release in late April).

Also, might not be a good idea to order something before it's announced officially, even when it's available.

QUOTE (thizzellewashington @ Mar 8 2012, 03:45 PM)
From the RIAB post:
UPDATE - 3/8@1:01PM: For those of you wondering why the Amazon list price is $19.14, which is a little high for an audio CD. Rumor has it that a 5.1 mix will be included, which may account for the higher price, and which also might account for the delay in the release date (it was originally scheduled to release in late April).

Also, might not be a good idea to order something before it's announced officially, even when it's available.

Why? You don't get charged until it ships, so who cares?

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Mar 8 2012, 10:04 PM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ Mar 7 2012, 11:48 PM)
Pre-ordered. smile.gif

Congrats! Hope it's a killer one for you 1022.gif

Good chance it may kill his interest in Rush.

Just for the record...are you a RUSH fan? And if so, what albums do you actually like?

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Mar 8 2012, 09:04 PM)
Pre-ordered. smile.gif

glad he didn't start with s & a. tongue.gif

QUOTE (Presto-a RUSH fan! @ Mar 8 2012, 09:07 PM)
Pre-ordered. smile.gif

Just for the record...are you a RUSH fan? And if so, what albums do you actually like?

Yes.

Let's just say I thoroughly dislike all their music since Neil "returned".

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Mar 8 2012, 10:02 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-a RUSH fan! @ Mar 8 2012, 09:07 PM)
Pre-ordered. smile.gif

Yes.

Let's just say I thoroughly dislike all their music since Neil "returned".

Amen.

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Mar 8 2012, 09:04 PM)
Pre-ordered. smile.gif

Just because you are one of the few that doesn't like the new tracks don't try to speak for everybody else. Much better chance it will be killer for him being that 99% of youtube loves the new tracks.