The ___ Absolutely Essential Rush Albums

rushgoober

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 18 2012, 01:17 AM)
Ok, so you've come across a potential new Rush fan. What are their ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL titles?

I'm not talking about listing 2112 because it's a really important album even though you get lost on side 2. As another example, I think Grace Under Pressure is a fantastic album without any weak tracks, but that's a slight level of perfection below what I consider the top of the heap albums that are perfect all the way through AND are really the absolutely short list must haves for new perspective fans.

List what you consider those to be, however many those might be IN ORDER OF PREFERENCE, even though in my case the differences in quality between these is microscopic at best. My list:

1. Signals
2. Moving Pictures
3. Permanent Waves
4. Hemispheres

You named them. Those 4 would be my must have recommendations to anyone who was new to the band and asking. I have to think that if a potential fan cannot find something to like in those four records then they are not going to like much of anything the band has done.

You know what, I want to change my original answer. If someone came up to me asking about Rush, I'd say, go to Spotify, load up everything they've ever done, remove Dog Years and Virtuality wink.gif and then hit Random. Don't leave the room for 90 minutes. If the person comes out of that disliking the band, so be it.

Permanent Waves......

it's probably my 4th or 5th favorite Rush album but for a new Rush fan, I think starting with this album would be the best way to turn them into a big fan early, then throw a few more their way like MP and 2112.

I think if that potential fan is under say 20, maybe Counterparts would work, or something in the last 15 years, a Rush album with a more modern feel.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 18 2012, 08:54 AM)
I think it's funny people trying to be objective. Is that really even possible? My list is entirely subjective.

The most "objective" I can think to say is that most people's lists really should include Moving Pictures at all costs since it seems to be the most accessible/popular, but still that's a subjective statement.

Sales numbers and radio play might suggest that including MP in this kind of list is a completely objective conclusion.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jan 18 2012, 05:26 PM)
You know what, I want to change my original answer. If someone came up to me asking about Rush, I'd say, go to Spotify, load up everything they've ever done, remove Dog Years and Virtuality wink.gif and then hit Random. Don't leave the room for 90 minutes. If the person comes out of that disliking the band, so be it.

Great solution!

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jan 18 2012, 03:26 PM)

goodpost.gif

If I were to be SUBjective, I would put Presto and HYF on that list. As it was, the CDs I made for my curious friend ended up covering COS (Lakeside Park) to VT (Ghost Rider), with several cuts from HYF. I also put NatSci on the second CD - she was leery of Prog so I figured that was the most accessible Prog cut. Seemed to work confused13.gif

Edited by Todem

It totally, TOTALLY depends upon the person (for me, it would be synth era, then forward and backward from there). Moving Pictures would get me interested. Signals, where many jumped ship, would be where I'd get ON the boat. By GUP I'd be cruise director. By PoW I'd be the captain, and HYF could draw the chart tongue.gif I'd the hit the iceberg (Vapor Trails) but still go down with the ship (the rest of the catalog, including CA or whatever their last album is). I'd tell you that some days had been dark, some nights had been bright, but that I'd wish I could do it all again, paying proper attention starting in the 70's this time, instead of waiting until 2010 to get to a show biggrin.gif

See, for me, SONGS were where I felt my life changing. In addition to the classics I already knew, the songs on the TM tour that really blew my mind were Presto, Marathon, Witch Hunt, Caravan, and Far Cry. Therefore, songs would likely be my focus in playing Rush to a new fan.

But you said pick albums. So, with averages/typical folks in mind...

1. Moving Pictures

2. AFTK or PeW (or both)

3. Signals

4. PoW

5. Counterparts

If Clockwork Angels has been released, move that to the top and go from there.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jan 18 2012, 03:14 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Jan 18 2012, 03:26 PM)
In this order

Moving Pictures
Permanent Waves
Hemispheres

I dont see how you can possibly put Signals on there when that was when many original and casual Rush fans started jumping ship.

Because in retrospect is was one hell of an album. People jumped ship not because of the quality of the record but because it was new and a little different than what had come before. There are people even now, here on TRF, who believe that Rush ended in 1981 (which is fking retarded - they went on another thirty years after Moving Pictures).

Agreed.

Obviously their direction changed dramatically with Signals from everything that came before, but I personally think it was their best post-MP album, and unless you only think it's appropriate to expose a potentially new fan to 1974-1981 material, Signals makes sense (to me at least) as the one album to expose a newbie to the other side of the band as something a little other than just a pure hard rock and/or prog band. The keys certainly add a whole new layer into the equation.

And besides that, the album is just f*cking kick-ass from the first note to the last. Obviously, YMMV... trink39.gif

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 19 2012, 07:31 PM)
Obviously their direction changed dramatically with Signals from everything that came before, but I personally think it was their best post-MP album, and unless you only think it's appropriate to expose a potentially new fan to 1974-1981 material, Signals makes sense (to me at least) as the one album to expose a newbie to the other side of the band as something a little other than just a pure hard rock and/or prog band.  The keys certainly add a whole new layer into the equation.

And besides that, the album is just f*cking kick-ass from the first note to the last.  Obviously, YMMV... trink39.gif

I would choose GUP over Signals for a different side as I think their songwriting and production had more sophistication - I *LOVED* what Peter Henderson brought to the party!! atickhum.gif. But alas, like all albums post '81, it falls short of being "absolutely essential" sad.gif Fair enough you think Signals is perfect though, I tried to see it your way Goobs and even gave it another spin, I did I DID!! biggrin.gif