Re-recording Old Tracks, Yes or No?

danielmclark

Should Rush re-record classic tracks with a modern slant?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Should Rush re-record classic tracks with a modern slant?

• Yes
    • No

I think it's stupid and a waste of Everyones time plus, it never sounds as good

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jan 14 2012, 04:31 AM)
No. Go to a gig. And they've got plenty of live albums out there. That's enough.

Agreed. They play different versions of the classic Rush songs every tour. With the quality of the live recordings there is no need to re-record those songs in the studio.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 14 2012, 01:03 PM)
Beware RUSH geeks...your new wave albums will be burned...

Uh-oh, that means they're coming for me first! This is not how I wanted to meet Geddy Lee bolt.gif

wink.gif

I'm pretty attached to the originals in terms of what I expect their songs to sound like, so the live experience/recordings are more than adequate for times when I do want something different. I'm already hoping they didn't change Caravan and BU2B too drastically if they've re-recorded them for CA. At least I have the single if they do.

EDIT: I'm having a re-think. Another band I follow has released alternate versions of their songs, sometimes with wildly different lyrics, over the years and on occasion, I've liked the later version BETTER. I'd forgotten about this. I don't know if changes to lyrics this significant are what you had in mind, but I have to admit they HAVE on occasion worked in the past. Therefore, if Rush did this, I'd keep an open mind.

Edited by 1 of the 7

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jan 14 2012, 09:30 PM)
Don't live albums accomplish essentially the same thing?

Not necessarily. A studio re-recording could result in new arrangements, new slants on the old material. A live show could do the same thing, but a studio session would have the advantage of layering new sounds, editing, mixing and general studio trickery that you can't do on-the-fly live.

all around bad idea...

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jan 13 2012, 07:51 PM)
I think an acoustic album would be cool, but otherwise no. I don't think Rush would be able to pull it off and it would be a waste of studio time. Also most rerecordings aren't nearly as great as the originals. The only band that I can think of that has rerecorded songs that are better than the originals is Anathema.

In a sense, Van Halen is a band that re-recorded over the years successfully, re-working tracks that had been released in demo form early in their career into songs like Mean Street, Hang Em High, and so forth. Whitesnake did it successfully as well in the mid 80's, when "Here I Go Again" was re-worked.

Any specific tracks you have in mind?

OK...just listened to the medley of the Scoprs Comeback covers and...ecchhh. Makes me appreciate Feedback more.

As far as the re-workings of tracks like "Still Loving You", "The Zoo", "Blackout", I imagine I'd like them had I not heard and loved the originals so much. They just sound...too busy, maybe?

Re-working un-released old chops into new songs is a better idea.

QUOTE (Tony R @ Jan 14 2012, 11:30 AM)
No way. The band wouldn't do it anyway when they have extensive live recordings of "classics" reworked in a modern context.

Who cares what The Scorpions have done? They were relevant in the 70s but went steadily downhill after Ulrich Roth left. Their reworking of old material is an obvious cash grab and more fool the fans for falling for it.

Yeah, agreed.....

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jan 15 2012, 04:40 PM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ Jan 14 2012, 11:30 AM)
No way. The band wouldn't do it anyway when they have extensive live recordings of "classics" reworked in a modern context.

Who cares what The Scorpions have done? They were relevant in the 70s but went steadily downhill after Ulrich Roth left. Their reworking of old material is an obvious cash grab and more fool the fans for falling for it.

Yeah, agreed.....

Speaking of cash grabs and foolish fans makes me think of all the re-masters threads we have on this forum.

I disagree. I think there's no such thing as a "cash grab". Bands put stuff out, the labels put stuff out, whatever. We don't have to buy it. To me, a "cash grab" is when someone raises the prices on something that we have to have, like food or gasoline. When the gas companies raised prices to over $4/gallon a while back, that was a cash grab. Rush putting out Sectors, Scorpions doing a re-recording/covers album... not cash grabs. They simply decided to do something unconventional or unpopular. Buy it or not.

Re-recordings are about MONEY, not art... Kiss did it in 2009 with the Kiss Klassics (CD # 2 of the new album Sonic Boom) to be able to sell songs for advertising and soundtracks... so Rush could sell their songs without asking to their bosses...

PS I'd like to hear an acoustic version of 12 songs...

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jan 15 2012, 04:59 PM)
I disagree. I think there's no such thing as a "cash grab". Bands put stuff out, the labels put stuff out, whatever. We don't have to buy it. To me, a "cash grab" is when someone raises the prices on something that we have to have, like food or gasoline. When the gas companies raised prices to over $4/gallon a while back, that was a cash grab. Rush putting out Sectors, Scorpions doing a re-recording/covers album... not cash grabs. They simply decided to do something unconventional or unpopular. Buy it or not.

You are correct of course that in the end the consumer has the choice to buy or not. I can also see the "completist" fan being annoyed at constant re-packaging and re-release of old material. I fall into the group that buys something once and that's it. Not interested in updated mixes of old material, or new formats for old movies, for that matter.

I don't think it's Rush's style at all to look back into the past and rerecord them.

If they did it, I'd want it to be older, and more obscure songs, that maybe with modern sounds, would be a lot better. A lot of their 80's work would be better if they would have been able to do more soundscaping and texturing with the keys, for example.

But I think this is best left to a cover band, not Rush themselves. To borrow a sentiment: Rush doesn't need to look back, but rather just around themselves now.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jan 14 2012, 02:31 AM)
No. Go to a gig. And they've got plenty of live albums out there. That's enough.

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd103/laserspray/internet%20stuff/smilies/plusone2.gif

QUOTE (A Farewell to Things @ Jan 13 2012, 07:51 PM)
I voted yes because their playing ability has noting but increased over time.
Yes, Ged's vocals would be different. but it would be a fresh perspective.

I have always maintained that they should do a double album called Now and Then

Disc 1: (Now) All New Material

Disc 2: (then) Rush (Re-recorded and Mixed with Neil on Drums)

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Listened to Styx and Scorps re-recordings. Remasters are one thing, re-recordings have no real purpose other than to make money. And both suck.

bekloppt.gif

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jan 13 2012, 09:26 PM)
QUOTE (A Farewell to Things @ Jan 13 2012, 07:51 PM)
I voted yes because their playing ability has noting but increased over time.
Yes, Ged's vocals would be different. but it would be a fresh perspective.

The vocals would be considerably worse. Otherwise, Itd be interesting to hear...

Exactly. I don't think they should.

A few years ago, KISS did that releasing an album called KISS Klassics where Paul and Gene re-recorded the tracks with Eric Singer and Tommy Thayer.

The music was great and all...but listening to the vocals was hard at times. The intro to "Heaven's On Fire" specifically comes to mind as Paul's voice sounded like it was struggling to sing those "ooooo oooo's".

QUOTE (New World Kid @ Jan 16 2012, 12:48 PM)
I don't think it's Rush's style at all to look back into the past and rerecord them.

If they did it, I'd want it to be older, and more obscure songs, that maybe with modern sounds, would be a lot better. A lot of their 80's work would be better if they would have been able to do more soundscaping and texturing with the keys, for example.

But I think this is best left to a cover band, not Rush themselves. To borrow a sentiment: Rush doesn't need to look back, but rather just around themselves now.

You got it!

I'm happy they are continuing to evolve and still at it.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jan 17 2012, 12:20 PM)
Listened to Styx and Scorps re-recordings. Remasters are one thing, re-recordings have no real purpose other than to make money. And both suck.
bekloppt.gif

Right, because musicians shouldn't be trying to make money.

When Clockwork Angels comes out, I guess you won't be buying it? After all, it's just a cash grab, Rush is trying to make money.