Van Halen A Different Kind of Truth - who's buying

treeduck

Are you buying the new Van Halen album?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Are you buying the new Van Halen album?

• 1. YES, you're damn right I am! It's gonna ROCK!
    • 2. No f***ing way moron hey I'd bet my cock & balls it'll be shit on toast!
    • 3. I may download it for free, but if it doesn't impress, DELETE!
    • 4. I'll wait for a real bargain basement price in about nine months or so
    • 5. I always hated those douchey clowns, I like proper METAL and prog
    • 6. I used to like Halen but Eddie is shot & Dave is an old man now, so no
    • 7. I'd rather hold in my bowels for 10 weeks then shit it all out play that
    • 8. I'm a girl, but I agree with #2, I'd bet my tw** and tits though instead
    • 9. I just want want to burn houses down after hearing about this release
    • 10. If this record doesn't blow, I WILL, I'll turn homosexual hooker!!
    • 11. I'm a girl, I agree with #10...I think you know the rest...
    • 12. I'll be buying the new SABBATH album instead
    • 13. I'll buy the album and a whole shitload of other albums this year
    • 14. If Roth leaves again and SAMMY comes back, I'll buy that, not this
    • 15. I'd buy this album but I hate the idea of Wolfgang, f**k the fatty!

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Gompers @ Feb 8 2012, 08:35 AM)
smilies-8579.png

After first listen (free on Spotify), sounds like they rerecorded an old album but don't have the raw youthful energy of kids who are living life for the first time. Some of the more mature songs, musically that is, are almost ruined by poor vox and repetitive choruses. DLR's voice is sounding strained and forced but as with most bands with an older singer trying to sound young and full of energy, this is typical. For Van Hagar fans, which I am, even Sammy couldn't save this release.

I am disappointed after all the hype. I think this is another type of reunion album we have seen from bands trying to make a come back or line their pockets a bit more. Ultimately, it lacks soul and reaches for old ideas.

However, standouts for me so far, You and Your Blues, China Town, and As Is. These should be released as singles and Tattoo should have been left off.

I think there is much wishful thinking for many here who are praising it but perhaps this will grow on me. Time will tell. The best releases always take time to settle in.

My sentiments exactly. As for those "hearing the earlier albums" on this latest release...well, of course. The riffs on most of the tracks are decades old, many from the old demos. But in their current incarnation, they fall flat for me. Dave has nothing left and just can't sell it like he used to.

But...as always, you guys rock on!

1022.gif

I am going to listen to the tunes,

And I love their music. But saying VH is back is laughable . DLR is there just for the money. It won't last. They are a revolving door. With that said. I hope they prove me wrong. wink.gif

QUOTE (HemispheresserehpsimeH @ Feb 8 2012, 03:47 PM)
QUOTE (ghostworks @ Feb 8 2012, 03:06 PM)
http://i.imgur.com/FNhMr.jpg

Thing about this pic is that it's 100% correct. Because if Wolfgang was out and MA was in, VH would probably still be on an indefinite hiatus. So there would be no Van Halen.

Like I've said before, I'd rather have a VH w/DLR and Wolfgang putting out music and touring than VH with MA not doing anything. And to be perfectly honest, Wolfgang seems like the saving grace, considering he is a constant reminder to keep his father clean. Having his son with him all the time must help Eddie keep his mind focused.

I love MA, but if Wolfgang is the reason for bringing DLR and Eddie again to put out an album and tour, then I welcome him with massively open arms.

Personally, I think it was just to keep the money in the family. JMO. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (troutman @ Feb 8 2012, 11:12 PM)
QUOTE (HemispheresserehpsimeH @ Feb 8 2012, 03:47 PM)

Thing about this pic is that it's 100% correct. Because if Wolfgang was out and MA was in, VH would probably still be on an indefinite hiatus. So there would be no Van Halen.

Like I've said before, I'd rather have a VH w/DLR and Wolfgang putting out music and touring than VH with MA not doing anything. And to be perfectly honest, Wolfgang seems like the saving grace, considering he is a constant reminder to keep his father clean. Having his son with him all the time must help Eddie keep his mind focused.

I love MA, but if Wolfgang is the reason for bringing DLR and Eddie again to put out an album and tour, then I welcome him with massively open arms.

Personally, I think it was just to keep the money in the family. JMO. biggrin.gif

Im assuming Wolfie doesnt get an allowance anymore. But... who knows...

QUOTE (troutman @ Feb 8 2012, 11:09 PM)
I am going to listen to the tunes,

And I love their music. But saying VH is back is laughable . DLR is there just for the money. It won't last. They are a revolving door. With that said. I hope they prove me wrong. wink.gif

Well they're 5 years on now with probably another year's worth of commitments. Based on how well the album is going over with fans and critics, I'd be surprised if this was their swan song.

Anyone get this via iTunes and have an issue?

I downloaded the album without problem, and last night I connected to the computer and it said Beats Workin was corrupt and I should DL it again. Cannot download that one song.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Feb 8 2012, 09:19 PM)
QUOTE (HemispheresserehpsimeH @ Feb 8 2012, 07:47 PM)

This is exactly right. AND having heard the album, the bass playing, the backing vocals....well, I've realized I can enjoy Van Halen just fine on record without Anthony. Not a knock. In fact, I was worried about how it would all sound. Given how it sounds, I'm relieved and jubilant.

I'd argue that the bass playing is a trade up with Wolfie. Again, don't believe me? Listen to China Town really closely throughout and tell me where you've heard that kind of bass on a Van Halen record. And then they pull off the ooooh-ahhhhh background vox quite nicely as well...(see You and Your Blues chorus).

No, I'm relieved. This band can make a FINE album without Mike Anthony. I don't have to question that anymore.

The backing vocals are not nearly as good with chubby wolf on vocals. no.gif

http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii324/jawkjaw/double%20s%20pro/Wolfgang_Van_Halen_by_VistaDude1-1.jpg

QUOTE (RodrigoAltaf @ Feb 9 2012, 10:24 AM)
Just heard Beat's Workin'...Dave's voice REALLY suffers here.

It's the last song - he must have been tired laugh.gif

Speaking of - I did a little research and I guess it's not just an iTunes issue with this track - it's just an iTunes issue period. Apparently this is common and there is a workaround, but no real fix. Looking forward to calling in to Apple support. comp26.gif

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Feb 9 2012, 12:28 PM)

I actually think he's worse in the chorus of You And Your Blues myself.

I love they way he sounds in that chorus. He does sound strained but I still love it.

QUOTE (HemispheresserehpsimeH @ Feb 9 2012, 12:42 PM)

I love they way he sounds in that chorus. He does sound strained but I still love it.

He holds it together quite well in the acoustic version. And the backing vocals are note perfect here too!!!

QUOTE (HemispheresserehpsimeH @ Feb 9 2012, 12:42 PM)

Oh yeah, great song! Not a complaint.