Van Halen A Different Kind of Truth - who's buying

treeduck

Are you buying the new Van Halen album?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Are you buying the new Van Halen album?

• 1. YES, you're damn right I am! It's gonna ROCK!
    • 2. No f***ing way moron hey I'd bet my cock & balls it'll be shit on toast!
    • 3. I may download it for free, but if it doesn't impress, DELETE!
    • 4. I'll wait for a real bargain basement price in about nine months or so
    • 5. I always hated those douchey clowns, I like proper METAL and prog
    • 6. I used to like Halen but Eddie is shot & Dave is an old man now, so no
    • 7. I'd rather hold in my bowels for 10 weeks then shit it all out play that
    • 8. I'm a girl, but I agree with #2, I'd bet my tw** and tits though instead
    • 9. I just want want to burn houses down after hearing about this release
    • 10. If this record doesn't blow, I WILL, I'll turn homosexual hooker!!
    • 11. I'm a girl, I agree with #10...I think you know the rest...
    • 12. I'll be buying the new SABBATH album instead
    • 13. I'll buy the album and a whole shitload of other albums this year
    • 14. If Roth leaves again and SAMMY comes back, I'll buy that, not this
    • 15. I'd buy this album but I hate the idea of Wolfgang, f**k the fatty!

QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 1 2012, 02:21 PM)
QUOTE (troutman @ Apr 1 2012, 05:18 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 1 2012, 02:05 PM)
QUOTE (troutman @ Apr 1 2012, 05:01 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 1 2012, 01:59 PM)
QUOTE (troutman @ Apr 1 2012, 04:54 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 1 2012, 11:26 AM)
I'm listening to this and I like it. It's not vintage Van Halen, but good. And way better than Van Hagar.

Dave is Dave. Wolfgang is excellent. Alex is his usual self.

Eddie doesn't quite have the chops or brown sound of old but is sounding very, very good. I just wish the production was a little more organic, a little more Ted Templeman circa 81.

That's just nitpicking though, it's good!

1022.gif

Yeah well,

Sammy didn't form the band. He was hired to replace the loser who is now back in the band. tongue.gif

Are you a bitter Hagar fan too?

laugh.gif

Not at all,

Why would I be bitter? Sammy kicks ass and I was upset that he even took the loser's place. He was better off in is old band. That being said, I thought he did a great job with VH. Thank God he moved on. biggrin.gif

With Hagar I like the first two Montrose albums, I like Standing Hampton, and I sort of like Chickenfoot, but I'm not too impressed with III so far. 5150 is a pretty good album, F.U.C.K. is not bad.

trink36.gif

I saw Sammy and his old band about six times back in the seventies. They kicked some a** and were great in concert. Plus, he plays a mean guitar. You need to check out this live album. biggrin.gif

http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af324/trout81/all-night-long-sammy-hagar-cd-cover-art.jpg

Oh I've heard it, too much Sammy wears on me after a while though.

I forgot one HSAS, but I probably haven't heard that since about 1986. It was pretty good though.

One that Hagar was supposed to be involved with, Soul Sirkus with Neal Schon again. He was replaced by Jeff Scott Soto, and it's good. It features Virgil Donati on drums.

Sammy never wears on me. He is a kick a** performer and loves what he is doing. What ever band he is involved in.

Any way, I thought he did a great job with VH no matter what the haters might say. 1022.gif trink39.gif

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (troutman @ Apr 1 2012, 05:34 PM)
I'm listening to this and I like it. It's not vintage Van Halen, but good. And way better than Van Hagar.

Eddie doesn't quite have the chops or brown sound of old but is sounding very, very good. I just wish the production was a little more organic, a little more Ted Templeman circa 81.

1022.gif

Yeah well,

Sammy didn't form the band. He was hired to replace the loser who is now back in the band. tongue.gif

laugh.gif

Not at all,

Why would I be bitter? Sammy kicks ass and I was upset that he even took the loser's place. He was better off in is old band. That being said, I thought he did a great job with VH. Thank God he moved on. biggrin.gif

With Hagar I like the first two Montrose albums, I like Standing Hampton, and I sort of like Chickenfoot, but I'm not too impressed with III so far. 5150 is a pretty good album, F.U.C.K. is not bad.

trink36.gif

I saw Sammy and his old band about six times back in the seventies. They kicked some a** and were great in concert. Plus, he plays a mean guitar. You need to check out this live album. biggrin.gif

http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af324/trout81/all-night-long-sammy-hagar-cd-cover-art.jpg

I forgot one HSAS, but I probably haven't heard that since about 1986. It was pretty good though.

One that Hagar was supposed to be involved with, Soul Sirkus with Neal Schon again. He was replaced by Jeff Scott Soto, and it's good. It features Virgil Donati on drums.

Sammy never wears on me. He is a kick a** performer and loves what he is doing. What ever band he is involved in.

Any way, I thought he did a great job with VH no matter what the haters might say. 1022.gif trink39.gif

What about his "I met an alien" story, what do you think of that one? tongue.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 1 2012, 02:40 PM)

1022.gif

Yeah well,

laugh.gif

Not at all,

trink36.gif

What about his "I met an alien" story, what do you think of that one? tongue.gif

laugh.gif Well,

He is not alone. I assure you. tongue.gif

QUOTE (troutman @ Apr 1 2012, 05:46 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 1 2012, 02:40 PM)

1022.gif

Yeah well,

laugh.gif

Not at all,

trink36.gif

laugh.gif Well,

He is not alone. I assure you. tongue.gif

And neither are we!

ohmy.gif AlienSmiley.gif

icon_alienjig.gif

I'm listening to this...

Favourite songs of the moment:

Outta Space, Stay Frosty, Honeybabysweetiedoll, Bullethead, As Is, You and Your Blues, China Town, Beats Workin', pretty much ALL...

1022.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 10 2012, 12:51 PM)
I'm listening to this...

Outta Space, Stay Frosty, Honeybabysweetiedoll, Bullethead, As Is, You and Your Blues, China Town, Beats Workin', pretty much ALL...

1022.gif

I don't think I've listened to the album since April, when I saw them in concert.

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Jul 10 2012, 01:20 PM)
I'm listening to this...

1022.gif

I don't think I've listened to the album since April, when I saw them in concert.

Don't you like it?

unsure.gif

QUOTE (The K Man @ Jul 10 2012, 02:42 PM)
The new album is okay. It has the vibe and feel of the early VH stuff, but the songs aren't there - not as many catchy choruses. I do like a handful of songs enough though, so it wasn't a total loss.

It's much more of a riff-based album that a lot of the heyday Van Halen. I'm a riff maniac so that suits me...

trink36.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 10 2012, 01:55 PM)
I'm listening to this...

1022.gif

Don't you like it?

unsure.gif

I do like it, I just haven't thought about it in a while - it is much better than I expected.

I started listening again after you posted.

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Jul 10 2012, 02:52 PM)
I'm listening to this...

1022.gif

Don't you like it?

unsure.gif

I do like it, I just haven't thought about it in a while - it is much better than I expected.

I'm influencing the world!

ohmy.gif unsure.gif ohmy.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 10 2012, 03:15 PM)
I'm listening to this...

1022.gif

Don't you like it?

unsure.gif

Nah, I still won't root for the Saints.... or make crazy ass polls. I tried the crazy polls thing, and realized I suck at it compared to the great one.

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Jul 10 2012, 04:08 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 10 2012, 03:15 PM)
I'm listening to this...

1022.gif

Don't you like it?

unsure.gif

Nah, I still won't root for the Saints.... or make crazy ass polls. I tried the crazy polls thing, and realized I suck at it compared to the great one.

wink.gif

Well I have given this CD a full 5 play throughs. It arrived Friday.

Eddie sounds in top form and again shows why he is regarded as one of the most influential guitar players in the history of hard rock. Alex as always holds it down with his signature roto snare sound. The big surprise is Wolfgang. If that is indeed Wolfie (and not Eddie) laying down all those bad to the bone bass lines then bravo. He can really tear it up and I am very impressed. I saw them on their last tour and since it was basically inaudible and just an overall mess, I could not hear anything he was doing on the bass (his bass was just a ball of humming noise). The entire mix that night was one gigantic humming buzzing noise fest. I have learned over the last 3 times I have seen VH (the F*** tour, Sammy reunion tour, and the previous DLR reunion tour) not to waste my money seeing them live.

So on to the album itself. I was not a fan of the single Tattoo at all. But after repeated listens I can tolerate the song and it does have a catchy chorus. Dave is wierd. Always has been a fruit cake and he no doubt had a huge hand in this tune. But it is not bad and I find myself singing "tatoo tatoo" sometimes LOL.

But let's get to the meat and potatos. Musically the band sounds in top form. That is Eddie, Alex and Wolfie. But Dave.....he has never been a real vocalist. He was a fantastic front man. A huge personality and perfect for the times back in late 70's and the early and mid 80's. On this record his shortcommings IMO hold the songs back from reaching their full potential. I love both versions of this band and it's funny but after almost every song (not all of them as Dave has some really good signature Diamond Dave moments here) I wondered right away how much better it would have been with Hagar singing. I think Dave is the weak link on an otherwise solid and surprising effort. I am not saying Dave is bad on this record. But his vocal limitations are front and center now that he can't pull off his signature yells and screams.

I had no real expectations as I never thought VH would release another new album of original music. I am thrilled there are no cover songs.

Soncially the album sounds meaty. The old Eddie Van Halen "Brown Sound" is back in full force. On She's a Woman I was pumping my head and pounding my steering wheel and howling "VH is back baby!" What a great rocker in the vain of the classic Mean Street from Fair Warning (which btw is my all time favorite album from VH).

The album then keeps right along with You and Your Blues. Another great song with the classic VH back up vocals. This IMO is one of Daves strongest tunes vocally on the album. China Town is a scorching rocker filled with riffage to delight any VH fan. The chorus is also signature VH. Then the album takes a twist towards the Diver Down era with Blood and Fire which may very well be one of the top tunes on the album. Again this song Dave sounds like old Dave. Bullet Head is decent, but to me more filler than keeper. "As Is" is a cool song which very much reminds me of Hot for Teacher.

Honeybabysweetiedoll is a rip roaring monster. Another example of Eddies superb chops and Wolifes sick bass lines.

The Trouble With Never may very well have the best riff on the album. You all know what I am talking about. I was blown away with that song on my first listen.

Another filler tune IMO with Outta Space.

Stay Frosty - Ok....good tune. VH back in the DLR era usually always had an acoustic folksy blusey number on almost every record (1984 broke that string) and Stay Frosty is just that. A fun song you get into especially with a few beers in you.

Big River is hands down my favorite song on the album. This is the essence of old school VH at it's finest. Great hooks, great riffs a great song.

Beats Working is a good closer but I need to give it some more listens.

Overall I am pleased and think this is a fine return to form for the band. Can Eddie stay sober? Probably not. I hate to say it but he just can't seem to hold it together once the tour is in full swing. And when will the brothers clash with Dave again? Who knows. But at the very least we get this keepsake. A fine colection of hard rocking, in your face guitar driven rock.

Something that is sorely lakcing in this day and age.

Do kids today even know what a guitar solo is or for that matter how to write one?

Must listens from the album are:

1) She's The Woman

2) You and Your Blues

3) Blood and Fire

4) Honeybabysweetiedoll

5) The Trouble With Never

6) Stay Frosty

7) Big River

Peace.

So I wrote this back when the album was released.

It sounds even better now then it did when I wrote this review. Not only that but I love Bullethead!!! Great hard driving classic VH song all the way. The closing track Beats Working is also a keeper. I am still on the fence with Outtaspace. It is better than when I reviewed the album but it is my least favorite track overall.

But man the real story on this album (other than Eddies amazing guitar work and return to his brown sound) is Wolfgangs playing. This kid can shred on the bass. he has a Billy Sheenan approach, but he also holds the bottom down on the songs when they call for it.

A huge surprise. The album is one of the better Van Halen Albums in the David Lee Roth Catalog.

If I had to rank my VH albums I would say

1) Fair Warning

2) VH 2

3) VH 1

4) 5150

5) 1984

6) For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge

7) A Different Kind of Truth

8) Diver Down

9) OU812

10) Balance

11) Woman and Children First (some great tracks but overall...meh)

I just make pretend they never ever recorded VH III.

Edited by Todem

Outta Space is one of my favourites on the album! I love that song.

I keep coming back to this album and it just never gets old. It's so good. I was hoping the album would be a return to form for EVH and he even shattered my expectations. Tattoo's a nice warm up and all, but by the time you're done at the end of Beats Workin', your face has been pretty much ripped off with Eddie's playing.

Love every second of this album.

Like I said still on the fence with Outtaspace. Bullet Head really hit me on my last few listens when I went back to this album with fresh ears.

I am sure with a few more listens Outtaspace will do the same. Sometimes it can take time to realize and discover a song you initially tossed aside.

Like Wish Them Well on CA...that was my dark horse song that after about 10 listens in I was like "Whoa" this song is a kick ass tune!

I listened yesterday for the first time in awhile and it's still a great album

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Jul 23 2012, 02:17 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jul 23 2012, 02:00 PM)

TAT-TOO TAT-TOO

I should have stated that i never play that song , hated it since day 1 and belongs Nowhere near that album

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Jul 23 2012, 02:17 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jul 23 2012, 02:00 PM)

TAT-TOO TAT-TOO

De Plane De Plane...

http://cdn1.hark.com/images/000/003/167/3167/original.jpg