Tai Shan and High Water

micgtr71

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Dec 30 2011, 06:33 AM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ Dec 30 2011, 12:58 AM)
QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Dec 29 2011, 08:14 PM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ Dec 29 2011, 04:52 PM)
QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Dec 29 2011, 03:19 PM)
I just pulled out side 2 of HYF and thoroughly enjoyed it. It took me back to being 16 in the fall of 87. Maybe it's because I go back there and remember what this was playing against...Echo and the Bunnymen, Level 42, Dirty Dancing Soundtrack, and even Big Generator that came out two weeks later. This was the era when Rush sounded like an orchestra. Yes, some of the key stuff was cheesy but the big powerful chords really open up with the right volume.

Lock and Key and Turn the Page are phenomenal songs and they grabbed me from the instant. Mission is great and probably has one of my favorite sounds from Alex (this period). The last two songs took a while for me to get into, probably because of the lyric in Tai Shan. I thought, in 1987, that the album should have ended with mission and been a 4x4 album like PoW. A couple of years later I got into Tai Shan and High Water because of the sound. There is some incredible bass work from Geddy in these tunes. Also, Alex has that signature chime on HW.

Sure, the lyric from Tai Shan (China sang to me...) is a bit dopey, but it got worse later on. Superconductor, You Bet Your Life, Speed of Love, Dog Years...and that is only one from each of the succeeding albums. Those songs lack (for me) the aforementioned aspects that help me to overlook the lyric. Give me that snappy melodic bass line in Tai Shan and that burbling bass figure in High Water any day.

I'm going on record as saying that I really like these songs. It may have taken me a few years to appreciate them and a couple of decades to like them, but there it is...fire away, I can take it.

Level 42 are awesome. Them and King's X are probably to two most under-rated bands on the planet. Mark King on bass may even be better than bass god Geddy Lee. Plus Mark sings over those insane bass lines just as Geddy does. I know Neil was a big Level 42 fan back in the day from a drumming perspective at least.

BTW, I love King's X as well. Saw them a few times back in the day. Gretchen and Ear Candy are two of my favorite records.

Cool. Ear Candy is just that. Ear candy. LOL Also love Dogman and Tapehead. What is your fav Level 42 record?(or song)

BTW I think it's great that Rush fans have so many different fav record. The last poster said HYF is his fav. It happens to be one of my least favs but that's cool. It's still Rush which means it's still good regardless.

My favorite song is either Love Games or 88...especially the live version from A Physical Presence. The first album is fantastic and I also like The Pursuit of Accidents. I am going to be honest and say that I have not heard the newest album or Guaranteed, but I thought Forever Now was a departure from what I grew up with and not the same sound. Staring at the Sun was a great sounding record and was the last one I got. Tracie was a great song from that record.

It should be remembered that both Alan Holdsworth and Gary Husband have been members of Level 42 and these guys don't play with just anybody!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (New Digital Man @ Dec 30 2011, 10:50 AM)
I just pulled out side 2 of HYF and thoroughly enjoyed it. It took me back to being 16 in the fall of 87. Maybe it's because I go back there and remember what this was playing against...Echo and the Bunnymen, Level 42, Dirty Dancing Soundtrack, and even Big Generator that came out two weeks later. This was the era when Rush sounded like an orchestra. Yes, some of the key stuff was cheesy but the big powerful chords really open up with the right volume.

Lock and Key and Turn the Page are phenomenal songs and they grabbed me from the instant. Mission is great and probably has one of my favorite sounds from Alex (this period). The last two songs took a while for me to get into, probably because of the lyric in Tai Shan. I thought, in 1987, that the album should have ended with mission and been a 4x4 album like PoW. A couple of years later I got into Tai Shan and High Water because of the sound. There is some incredible bass work from Geddy in these tunes. Also, Alex has that signature chime on HW.

Sure, the lyric from Tai Shan (China sang to me...) is a bit dopey, but it got worse later on. Superconductor, You Bet Your Life, Speed of Love, Dog Years...and that is only one from each of the succeeding albums. Those songs lack (for me) the aforementioned aspects that help me to overlook the lyric. Give me that snappy melodic bass line in Tai Shan and that burbling bass figure in High Water any day.

I'm going on record as saying that I really like these songs. It may have taken me a few years to appreciate them and a couple of decades to like them, but there it is...fire away, I can take it.

Level 42 are awesome. Them and King's X are probably to two most under-rated bands on the planet. Mark King on bass may even be better than bass god Geddy Lee. Plus Mark sings over those insane bass lines just as Geddy does. I know Neil was a big Level 42 fan back in the day from a drumming perspective at least.

BTW, I love King's X as well. Saw them a few times back in the day. Gretchen and Ear Candy are two of my favorite records.

Cool. Ear Candy is just that. Ear candy. LOL Also love Dogman and Tapehead. What is your fav Level 42 record?(or song)

BTW I think it's great that Rush fans have so many different fav record. The last poster said HYF is his fav. It happens to be one of my least favs but that's cool. It's still Rush which means it's still good regardless.

My favorite song is either Love Games or 88...especially the live version from A Physical Presence. The first album is fantastic and I also like The Pursuit of Accidents. I am going to be honest and say that I have not heard the newest album or Guaranteed, but I thought Forever Now was a departure from what I grew up with and not the same sound. Staring at the Sun was a great sounding record and was the last one I got. Tracie was a great song from that record.

It should be remembered that both Alan Holdsworth and Gary Husband have been members of Level 42 and these guys don't play with just anybody!

Both are phenomenal guitarists. I need to check out some of the material Holdsworth was on. I think he is on the Guaranteed album which I have yet to hear.

Just a little aside... I love that there was this big conversation about Level 42 and King's X and these fabulous musicians that took up a significant amount of space here... and then metaldad comes in and just goes "These songs Blow". laugh.gif

I don't know why, but that made me laugh biggrin.gif

I like Tai Shan and High Water well enough I suppose. They're not the worst songs I've ever heard, but they're not favorites. I don't skip them if they come up in a random playlist.

Ah, another thread dedicated to the two songs that kept HYF from perfection. Such a shame too, as HYF is an incredible album... up until these last two lemons stuck at the end.

As I've said before, I'm glad that China sang to you, Neil, but I really didn't ever need to hear about that. no.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Dec 30 2011, 05:40 PM)
Ah, another thread dedicated to the two songs that kept HYF from perfection. Such a shame too, as HYF is an incredible album... up until these last two lemons stuck at the end.

As I've said before, I'm glad that China sang to you, Neil, but I really didn't ever need to hear about that. no.gif

But Goobs...! The Water DOES take me home!!!! tongue.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Dec 31 2011, 03:40 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Dec 30 2011, 05:40 PM)
Ah, another thread dedicated to the two songs that kept HYF from perfection.  Such a shame too, as HYF is an incredible album... up until these last two lemons stuck at the end.

But Goobs...! The Water DOES take me home!!!! tongue.gif laugh.gif

Whatever floats your boat. wink.gif

QUOTE (Ron2112 @ Dec 30 2011, 01:09 PM)
Funny how people are so divided over these songs. For me, if I was going to trim any songs from HYF (which I wouldn't, but let's just say), I would get rid of "Open Secrets" and "Lock and Key" before I got rid of HW or TS.

Peace,
Ron

Interesting ... Open Secrets counts as one of the great lost gems in their catalogue for me. Definitely in my Top 5 lists of songs to dig out of the vaults for one of the next tours.

As for High Water, I liked it from the beginning. Nice, quiet closing track. And not one of their worst (closing) songs. You Bet Your Life, Carve Away the Stone or Everyday Glory are much less remarkable. Even Mystic Rhythms or Countdown are songs I'd rather have dropped, although I can live with them.

Tai Shan never did too much for me, as did Time Stand Still, BTW.

And ... Echo and the Bunnymen were a fine band in their own right.

And ... I like Big Generator ...

I like both songs, but it took me awhile to get into them. I never disliked either of them, but I agree that Turn the Page would have been a great album closer.

I remember Pink Floyd's "A Momentary Lapse of Reason" coming out the same day. It's another great one from 1987 as well as Yes' "Big Generator". Of course, Michael Jackson's "Bad" also was released that same day.

Oh, and "Fatal Attraction" was playing in theatres at that time as well I believe.

QUOTE (presto123 @ Dec 29 2011, 03:52 PM)

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Dec 30 2011, 01:56 PM)

Both are phenomenal guitarists. I need to check out some of the material Holdsworth was on. I think he is on the Guaranteed album which I have yet to hear.

Gary Husband is a phenomenal drummer. He might play guitar too though I don't know. tongue.gif There is some good stuff on Guaranteed. Check it out. I thought Forever Now was awesome although like you said a departure. A little on the jazz side. My fav record is still probably Running In The Family.

Edited by presto123

QUOTE (presto123 @ Dec 31 2011, 12:55 PM)
QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Dec 30 2011, 01:56 PM)

Gary Husband is a phenomenal drummer. He might play guitar too though I don't know. tongue.gif There is some good stuff on Guaranteed. Check it out. I thought Forever Now was awesome although like you said a departure. A little on the jazz side. My fav record is still probably Running In The Family.

Ah, I knew that. I misspoke. Holdsworth clouded my eyes because I would love to hear him and King throw some notes at each other.

QUOTE (Invisible To Telescopic Eye @ Dec 31 2011, 07:12 AM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Dec 29 2011, 04:53 PM)
Hold Your Fire was the beginning of Rush not trimming off the fat. From this point on EVERY Rush album is too LONG. As for the songs, they're okay, nothing special.

I agree and I blame it on the CD format 'cuz it freed up more space to leave fat on.

I absolutely agree.

People have often made the annoying observation that those two songs aren't filler because they aren't the last songs they recorded to make the album longer, that the last song was Force Ten. Yes, that is true, but I also think that if once the album was done, if they were able to take some space and look at it objectively, they would have realized that those last two songs just weren't up to snuff, ditched them and been happy with a 40 minute album instead of a 50 minute one where all the material was of the high quality that they were known for.

These last two songs on HYF was the first time Rush made songs I didn't like since Caress of Steel. That said, a 12 year run between bad songs is not bad at all. Unfortunately, the last two songs on HYF was an indication of many more bad songs to come...

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Dec 31 2011, 05:25 PM)
Hold Your Fire was the beginning of Rush not trimming off the fat. From this point on EVERY Rush album is too LONG. As for the songs, they're okay, nothing special.

I agree and I blame it on the CD format 'cuz it freed up more space to leave fat on.

I absolutely agree.

People have often made the annoying observation that those two songs aren't filler because they aren't the last songs they recorded to make the album longer, that the last song was Force Ten. Yes, that is true, but I also think that if once the album was done, if they were able to take some space and look at it objectively, they would have realized that those last two songs just weren't up to snuff, ditched them and been happy with a 40 minute album instead of a 50 minute one where all the material was of the high quality that they were known for.

These last two songs on HYF was the first time Rush made songs I didn't like since Caress of Steel. That said, a 12 year run between bad songs is not bad at all. Unfortunately, the last two songs on HYF was an indication of many more bad songs to come...

You seem to be saying that Goobs not like = bad song. Not sure that's your intent.

As far as the two HYF songs go, I agree that they aren't most powerful or enduring RUS sings ever, but I think they are far from crap. For comparison' sake, I'd say that High Water is certainly as strong a song as Countdown. Both are pretty simple, formulaic even. Doesn't make them bad, in my view. If I had to choose, I'd take High Water over Countdown.

Tai Shan is a goofy departure for the boys, but so are Cinderella Man, Madrigal, Rivendell, Red Lenses...others.

Something moved them to write and record these two songs, and it's good to see the effort connected with some people. There's stuff in RUSH's catalogue that I find way less listenable.

I absolutely agree.

You know, though I do not agree in this case, the 40 minute album format was perfect. Maiden could usually push the limit to 50 or so, but 40-45 worked incredibly well. That would leave alot of the extras off.

QUOTE (goose @ Dec 31 2011, 05:01 PM)

I absolutely agree.

You seem to be saying that Goobs not like = bad song. Not sure that's your intent.

Well, aren't all opinions like that? Obviously it's my opinion only that it's a bad song because I don't like it, but just because I'm intense in my convictions doesn't mean I don't understand the difference between subjectivity and objectivity. wink.gif

As far as the two HYF songs go, I agree that they aren't most powerful or enduring RUS sings ever, but I think they are far from crap.  For comparison' sake, I'd say that High Water is certainly as strong a song as Countdown.  Both are pretty simple, formulaic even. Doesn't make them bad, in my view.  If I had to choose, I'd take High Water over Countdown.

My lord, Countdown is 10 times the song High Water is. Countdown is an awesome epic track about an exciting event. High Water is a whopping shot of blandness in comparison.

Tai Shan is a goofy departure for the boys, but so are Cinderella Man, Madrigal, Rivendell, Red Lenses...others.

I love all those songs, except Tai Shan. Mind you, Rivendell isn't their finest work, but I also think it's pretty underrated. Even as a lesser good Rush song, it's still 5 to 10 times the song Tai Shan is. Yes, it's slow and ponderous, but it's pretty sounding and acoustic, and at least China isn't singing to them. eh.gif

Something moved them to write and record these two songs, and it's good to see the effort connected with some people.  There's stuff in RUSH's catalogue that I find way less listenable.

There's stuff I find way less listenable than these two songs as well. That doesn't make them good songs, it just makes the fact that they've made worse material very unfortunate. And just because they were moved to write and record these songs doesn't mean I'm gonna like 'em, or think that it was a good idea. no.gif

All IMHO of course... wink.gif

Tai Shan does absolutely nothing for me. I'm all for trying new things and all, but that song is just not Rush. High Water is ok. Not their best work but far from bad. There are a few other songs on HYF I'd rank below it (Second Nature and Prime Mover are a couple that come to mind).