Why Test for Echo failed so miserably

LeaveMyThingAlone

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Nov 25 2011, 09:17 AM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Nov 25 2011, 11:54 AM)
Once Counterparts came out, Rush was nearly non-existant as far as I was concerned. I had moved on to other musical interests. I wouldn't show any more interest in the band until Geddy's solo album came out. I got Counterparts and Test for Echo when they were released but each got very little play in my player.

I mean, I bought the Cranberries first album the same time as Counterparts and the Cranberries got a lot of play.

Sorry, but COUNTERPARTS is awesome! End of story! biggrin.gif

Yep, CP was pretty great. 1022.gif

Edited by rushgoober

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Weakly Criminal @ Nov 25 2011, 06:08 AM)
TFE is a great album, and Dog Years is demented genius. How RUSH fans fail to get what they're going for with this song amazes me, particularly on the heels of Anagram (for Mongo). Ged's dog like yelping might have been a clue.

Oh, for fk's sake. Here comes another one. Another one who's smarter than all of us poor retards who don't "get" Dog Years. You, sir, must be a goddamn genius.

Those of us that don't like the song? We GET Dog Years. We UNDERSTAND what he was going for in the lyrics. We DON'T find it funny, clever or any good at all.

He didn't write some complicated treatise on the fragile state of mankind in the greater view of the cosmos. We get the comparison of dog years to human years. We just don't like the way he executed the idea.

And that doesn't make you smarter than us. bitchslap.gif

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Nov 25 2011, 10:33 AM)
QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Nov 25 2011, 01:31 PM)
When I first listened to Dog Years it was like having railroad spikes hammered into my ears.

facepalm.gif

I didn't feel like railroad spikes were being hammered into my head. I felt like the emoticon you just posted.

TFE is actually in my top 5 fave Rush albums wub.gif

I'm not a huge fan of Dog Years or Carve Away The Stone, but I love the album overall. Resist, Virtuality and most of the other songs are awesome!!! to me at least. haha.

.....and if anyone tries to tell me Resist isn't an absolutely stunning, beautiful song, well...I won't believe ya. lol.

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Nov 23 2011, 10:26 PM)
.... as we all know, Test for Echo is one of Rush's worst efforts if not their worst ... coming on the heels of Counterparts, which, obviously, is Rush's best album since Moving Pictures ...

Let's be clear that the person I quoted above is speaking in "as we all know" absolutes that definitely not everyone agrees with. The quote is just one OPINION that I could not disagree more with ... As a long-time and hard-core Rush fan, it is my own personal opinion that I love TFE, and rather dislike Counterparts. TFE is my favorite 90s-era album, and I find Counterparts to be their worst album of ALL. I am not saying any one is wrong, just to make clear the main thesis here is definitely not universally agreed to in this forum. Also, let's give some love to the TFE cover art which I also think was a huge improvement over the too-many Rush goofy covers.

I think that part of the problem with Test for Echo was the band's laid-back approach to recording it. If you read contemporary interviews, they always talk about how much of a break that they took after Counterparts (enough of a break for Alex to release Victor!) and how easy it was to record their new album. I get the feeling that, without any pressure or expectations, they just kind of doodled around in the studio, figuring that if it was fun for them, it was good enough to go on the disk, which is why you get obnoxious, "light-hearted" drivel like "Dog Years" and aimless sludge like "Resist". Another problem was that they were starting to get old, and that's probably the reason for the lyrics on "Virtuality" and the title track, so self-consciously "modern" that they sounded desperate at the time and are hilariously dated today. Shame, too, as those two songs have some of the best playing and production on the entire album.

QUOTE (jnoble @ Nov 24 2011, 10:49 AM)
'Color of Right' in particular was the first Rush song that made me wonder if Geddy was inventing the melody on the spot. It's so bland and I'm still not sure what the hell the songs even about.

The melody is terrible, but the lyrics are easily the best that the album has to offer. It's about not getting so caught up in the world's problems and issues that you can't appreciate what's good in it, and it's about accepting that there isn't much that you, as an individual, can do to change them in the first place. One of the most mature messages that I've ever heard in a song.

Edited by StellarJetman

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Nov 25 2011, 03:15 PM)
... You guys are starting to sound like Half the World!

Yes, you are correct, and well said. We just wanted to ensure the opinion of "the other half" was represented.

On a related note to mull over abit ... There are two kinds of people in this world:

1) Those that divide the world into two kinds of people, and

2) Those that don't.

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Nov 24 2011, 03:26 AM)
So, as we all know, Test for Echo is one of Rush's worst efforts if not their worst, particularly the lyrics, which everyone here agrees is Neil's worst effort.

The question has always been why, particularly coming on the heels of Counterparts, which, obviously, is Rush's best album since Moving Pictures

After watching Beyond the Lighted stage for the 1,000 th time it has finally hit me why...Test For Echo is the album where Neil re-learned to play the drums under Freddie Gruber! Of course, drumming took priority and Neil probably put lyrics on the back burner....

Like me, many of you have always wondered why Neil's lyrics are so wrong.....and I think I have discovered one possible reason.

So the next time you're listening to Virtuality, Half the World, Dog Years, of The Color of Right and are thinking to youself wtf.gif blame the late great Freddie Gruber

Do get yourself some help...

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Nov 25 2011, 02:15 PM)
Okay! We get it! The OP is an opinion; we don't need five hundred people saying the same exact thing!

You guys are starting to sound like Half the World!

Half the forum hates

what half of what the OP said

Half the forum posts

while half... um... gets ready for bed?

I'm not very good at rhyming.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Nov 25 2011, 06:10 PM)
QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Nov 25 2011, 02:15 PM)
Okay! We get it! The OP is an opinion; we don't need five hundred people saying the same exact thing!

You guys are starting to sound like Half the World!

Half the forum hates

what half of what the OP said

Half the forum posts

while half... um... gets ready for bed?

I'm not very good at rhyming.

laugh.gif rofl3.gif z7shysterical.gif icon_really_happy_guy.gif applaudit.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

brilliant.

I always enjoyed Test For Echo.....still do.

And CP was not their best since Moving Pictures. They made brilliant records after Moving Pictures.

Your telling me CP was better than:

Signals

Grace Under Pressure

Power Windows

Hold Your Fire

Snakes and Arrows

I beg to differ.

And anyway. It is all subjective.

TFE has one of my very favorites (Resist), one of my least favorites (Time and Motion), and the rest are okay (for Rush - still great in general). The biggest change I notice is the heavier sound of a few songs that would become prevalent in Vapor Trails. I'm guessing this was another case of trying something new/that they hadn't done in a while. They must have felt it worked, at least for a while, and while it doesn't for me, not all feel the same. I also don't mind the heavier sound of the two new songs, so it wasn't just the heaviness of the sound...there was something else that I just didn't care for and can't really put my finger on.

I love the people who declare things like they are fact. I love TFE, I like Dog Years, really like The Color of Right and although Virtuality's lyrics are slightly cheesy, I still think they are better lyrics than 2/3's of the crap that is out in the rock music scene. I love Test For Echo(song) and Resist is one of my favorite RUSH songs.

Bottom line, music is subjective. I love people who act like it's fact that this album sucks or that album is amazing.

Alot of people hate Presto, and Presto is the album that got me into the RUSH fanatic that I am today. I wonder how many people got into RUSH on Test For Echo? But nobody could, because it sucks so bad and it's fact.

facepalm.gif

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Nov 26 2011, 10:11 PM)
QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Nov 26 2011, 09:19 PM)
one of my least favorites (Time and Motion)

ohmy.gif

dazed025.gif

I know...just can't get into a groove with this one, and it kind of weighs on me musically, which is such a contrast to how inspiring and positive the lyrics are. Have to give it more chances/time I guess...maybe I'll find a different approach.

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Nov 27 2011, 12:04 AM)
QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Nov 26 2011, 10:11 PM)
QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Nov 26 2011, 09:19 PM)
one of my least favorites (Time and Motion)

ohmy.gif

dazed025.gif

I know...just can't get into a groove with this one, and it kind of weighs on me musically, which is such a contrast to how inspiring and positive the lyrics are. Have to give it more chances/time I guess...maybe I'll find a different approach.

Haha...well, we all have different opinions and tastes.

I was just shocked as Time & Motion IS my favourite song on TFE. Love it! 1022.gif