Someone had to start this thread

Queslington

QUOTE (Queslington @ Nov 23 2011, 06:47 PM)
Rolling Stone's "100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time" ranked Lerxst at number 98 (because he's not nearly as good as Springsteen, Cobain, or Ramone). Well, at least he wasn't left off the list this time. AlexFinal.gif

Fking COBAIN?

Proof yet again that Rolling Stone, as a general rule, has its head up its ass.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Nov 23 2011, 08:37 PM)
QUOTE (Queslington @ Nov 23 2011, 06:47 PM)
Rolling Stone's "100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time" ranked Lerxst at number 98 (because he's not nearly as good as Springsteen, Cobain, or Ramone). Well, at least he wasn't left off the list this time. AlexFinal.gif

Fking COBAIN?

Proof yet again that Rolling Stone, as a general rule, has its head up its ass.

goodpost.gif has there ever been a measurable amount evidence to the contrary? Sure there's the odd article here and there, but you can neglect a few outlying points on a graph when the overall trend is abundantly clear.

Lists like this are ridiculous in general. Yes, it is silly that if such a list exists that Springsteen, Paul Simon and Willie Nelson are even on it, let alone ahead of Alex, but even more ridiculous than the slight you feel that Alex is #98 are the players who didn't make the list at all, like Satriani, Vai and Howe.

QUOTE (pratt53 @ Nov 23 2011, 08:48 PM)
Lists like this are ridiculous in general. Yes, it is silly that if such a list exists that Springsteen, Paul Simon and Willie Nelson are even on it, let alone ahead of Alex, but even more ridiculous than the slight you feel that Alex is #98 are the players who didn't make the list at all, like Satriani, Vai and Howe.

Satriani, Vai and Howe aren't even on it? banghead.gif

I was going to go check it out after my bike ride, but now I don't think I'll even bother laugh.gif

Cobain over Vai and Satriani gives you a pretty good idea of just how irrelevant Rolling Stone is as a whole. It's a popularity contest just like the RRHOF. Vai is mind boggling good and Cobain could barely play his instrument. The poll is called "greatest" not most popular.

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd103/laserspray/internet%20stuff/smilies/smiley3831.gif

Outrageous.

Of course, RS caters to music critics... you know, they guys who can't play so they "critique." And those a$$holes wouldn't know a good player if he (or she) smacked them upside the head with a guitar - which would actually be kind of cathartic. F#&k RS magazine.

http://www.emotty.com/images/emoticons/883.png

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd103/laserspray/internet%20stuff/smilies/smiley3831.gif

Outrageous.

Of course, RS caters to music critics... you know, they guys who can't play so they "critique." And those a$$holes wouldn't know a good player if he (or she) smacked them upside the head with a guitar - which would actually be kind of cathartic.

F#&k RS magazine.

Edited by HowItIs

Ok you guys are going to laugh at me for this one.

When i was in my early teens at a county fair in Ohio I had a chance to see Roy Clark put his chops on display. I could not believe my ears. I know he is not a rock player but if he was, he would no doubt be in the top 3.Believe it or not, he could shred with the best of them. On top of that, he did it with no distortion or effects. You had to be there.

QUOTE (Ghostnotes @ Nov 24 2011, 08:47 AM)

When i was in my early teens at a county fair in Ohio I had a chance to see Roy Clark put his chops on display. I could not believe my ears. I know he is not a rock player but if he was, he would no doubt be in the top 3.Believe it or not, he could shred with the best of them. On top of that, he did it with no distortion or effects. You had to be there.

Roy Clark is a monster, yes.

QUOTE (Ghostnotes @ Nov 24 2011, 08:47 AM)

kinda how I felt when I heard the Chet Atkins/Les Paul record

I always pay attention to the wording when I see these lists. if it was the "best guitar player" or "most talented", I'd say yeah, he should be higher. the deliberate wording makes me take this list more seriously..

"greatest guitarist" to me just means that he's "great" or "most popular" but not necessarily just for their guitar playing. I wouldn't spend much time looking at this list anyway..

make sense or am I way off...?

Elvis Presley was one of the greatest guitarists ever but not one of the greatest guitar players ever...

that's the way my twisted brain views it any way.. cool10.gif

...art is subjective boarder.gif

Edited by MMCXII

I don't play guitar so I am obviously not a great judge, except for what I hear. While Alex may not be technically as good as Eddie Van Halen (in his prime...I am sure Alex is way better now) but Alex has 19 studio albums (not counting Feedback but counting his Solo) and he continually comes up with riffs that stand the test of time as well as just being able to sound different and amazing on each album. He is the perfect guitarist for RUSH. Not too flashy, but just right. Just like each member, they all are like one leg of a table, take one away and it doesn't work. Just by his body of work alone he is probably better than half the guys on the list, but again, I can only go by my ears! Edited by Presto_a RUSH fan_06-08-90

QUOTE (Ghostnotes @ Nov 24 2011, 06:47 AM)

I sure won't laugh! He played Vegas a lot and I was able to see him a few times up close. The man is a freaking MONSTER player. And he can play anything with strings. No, huh-uh. No laughing here.

QUOTE (vital signz @ Nov 25 2011, 07:51 AM)
No offense, but Zappa doesn't deserve to be in the top 10. Alex should be in the top 20.

Why not? Zappa was one of the best when it came to composition and technicality. Sure, he wasn't a great lyricist, but when it came to composing and playing, he was great.

Steve Howe. To not include this virtuoso of the instrument, master of the craft, in progressive rock and in pop rock (anyone remember Asia!?!?), is to simply announce that the list is a steaming pile of diarrhea.

Steve Howe should likely be in the top ten, maybe in the top five.

Edited by lerxt1990

QUOTE (Oracle @ Nov 27 2011, 11:30 PM)
QUOTE (vital signz @ Nov 25 2011, 07:51 AM)
No offense, but Zappa doesn't deserve to be in the top 10.  Alex should be in the top 20.

Why not? Zappa was one of the best when it came to composition and technicality. Sure, he wasn't a great lyricist, but when it came to composing and playing, he was great.

Sure he was good, but could you not name 10 better guitarists? Id leave out lyrics, thats not what this is supposed to be about...