last movie you watched

sonicjams

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (Extended Edition)

I really enjoyed it! But it should be noted that this is more Peter Jackson's The Hobbit than Tolkiens.

Nothing wrong with that, but I wish a more faithful adaptation existed.

When it gets it right, it's fantastic. The embellishments are puzzling, but not unenjoyable.

I agree. Only thing really remotely Tolkien are the characters.

All in all, taken for what it is, I think it is great. Not perfect (far from it), but whimsical and enjoyable, and a bright alternative for someone like me who doesn't like Star Wars.

In all honesty, knowing that a lot of the extra story comes from appendices and passages of tales from unfinished manuscripts helps make the film better for me.

And also, having refreshed my mind with a reread, I noticed that Gandalf disappeared a lot in the story, which I think gave Peter Jackson the idea to embellish the story a little. I don't mind this, I can always enjoy reading the book again but I really enjoyed the films too.

I give this first installment a 7/10.

When I watched the movie I didn't really get the same feel as when I read the book. The dwarves especially didn't strike me as right.

Agreed.

If I compare the book and he films, the films really suck.

But I decided to just enjoy the films on their own terms, accept the changes (as I did enjoy a few of the added scenes).

Not sure why they took this approach. Part of the reason the LOTR films succeed is because they tend to stay true, especially in spirit, to the books.

I have so many issues with these Hobbit films, but I enjoy them as the adventures that they are.

LOTR's was great, but they had 3 books to work from. I think it was kind of stupid for them to try and make 3 movies out of one smaller book, but money talks.

• Like 1

I really enjoyed it! But it should be noted that this is more Peter Jackson's The Hobbit than Tolkiens.

When it gets it right, it's fantastic. The embellishments are puzzling, but not unenjoyable.

All in all, taken for what it is, I think it is great. Not perfect (far from it), but whimsical and enjoyable, and a bright alternative for someone like me who doesn't like Star Wars.

In all honesty, knowing that a lot of the extra story comes from appendices and passages of tales from unfinished manuscripts helps make the film better for me.

And also, having refreshed my mind with a reread, I noticed that Gandalf disappeared a lot in the story, which I think gave Peter Jackson the idea to embellish the story a little. I don't mind this, I can always enjoy reading the book again but I really enjoyed the films too.

When I watched the movie I didn't really get the same feel as when I read the book. The dwarves especially didn't strike me as right.

Agreed.

But I decided to just enjoy the films on their own terms, accept the changes (as I did enjoy a few of the added scenes).

Not sure why they took this approach. Part of the reason the LOTR films succeed is because they tend to stay true, especially in spirit, to the books.

I have so many issues with these Hobbit films, but I enjoy them as the adventures that they are.

LOTR's was great, but they had 3 books to work from. I think it was kind of stupid for them to try and make 3 movies out of one smaller book, but money talks.

I agree. So much.

Any praise I have for the films is easily disregarded as soon as the book comes back into the equation!

I have heard that their is a quality fan edit online, which sticks close to the scenes as they are presented in the novel. It received a lot of praise...

Agreed.

I agree. So much.

Any praise I have for the films is easily disregarded as soon as the book comes back into the equation!

I have heard that their is a quality fan edit online, which sticks close to the scenes as they are presented in the novel. It received a lot of praise...

Oh really? Must only be about half an hour long. :)

Agreed.

I agree. So much.

Haha apparently it's four hours...

Which made me wonder if it might just be the Riddles In The Dark scene on loop haha!

• Like 1

The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug (Extended Edition)

Whatever you think of the approach Peter Jackson took to the novel, I have to say I genuinely loved this movie! Excellent atmosphere, pacing, drama, action and I couldn't praise it enough!

On its own terms this trilogy is great fun.

I give this installment 9/10

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

Agreed.

I agree. So much.

Solid.

Agreed.

I agree. So much.

Solid.

I remember actually seeing this at the theater.

• Like 1

http://marvellegends.net/Movies/Posters/X1C.jpg

Not as good as when I first saw it. It's still generally okay though.

The Bad: Havoc doing that hula hoop motion to generate his power, that stock villain Tornado guy, Angel fighting, and many of the Mystique scenes.

The Good: Fassbender & the Wolverine cameo.

http://www.markheadrick.com/dvd/images/X3-TheLastStand.jpg

Easily the worst X-flick I've seen.

So many terrible things in this but these would be my top 3: the rushed Dark Phoenix storyline, casual killing of Cyclops, Vinnie Jones Juggernaut (as dreadful as Eisenberg Luthor).

The one plus out of it all: Kelsey Grammer Beast. They got the look right while Grammer got the disposition right.

• Like 2

Tried watching Ghostrider with Nic Cage and couldn't do it. So terrible. Cage is terrible and Mendes might even be a worse actor

Yeah, it's a rancid version of a great character. And yeah, Cage and Mendes are total crap.

I'd pick Jim Caviezel as the cursed Johnny Blaze/Ghost Rider. But I'd pick him for a lot of different superheroes that are the tortured or serious type.

There's talk of Ghost Rider being done as a Netflix show in the near future. Given that the darker characters like Daredevil and Punisher have been really well done on there IMHO, I think a Ghost Rider Netflix show would have a good chance of being worthwhile.

• Like 1

I Am Legend.

Decent enough premise but it just doesn't feel like it goes anywhere.

Even suspending belief as much as I can, the super duper strength of the infected doesn't make much sense to me. And this is coming from a comic book guy! :LOL:

And I don't buy Will Smith in that role. He's a cop. He's a pilot. He's a regular guy that appears athletic. He can pass as a street smart or sly dude but he's no geneticist.

I think it's decent up to when his dog gets bitten but after that it just keeps getting worse and worse.

• Like 1

I Am Legend.

Even suspending belief as much as I can, the super duper strength of the infected doesn't make much sense to me. And this is coming from a comic book guy! :LOL:

And I don't buy Will Smith in that role. He's a cop. He's a pilot. He's a regular guy that appears athletic. He can pass as a street smart or sly dude but he's no geneticist.

I think it's decent up to when his dog gets bitten but after that it just keeps getting worse and worse.

Have you ever seen The Last Man On Earth with Vincent Price ??

I Am Legend.

Have you ever seen The Last Man On Earth with Vincent Price ??

You know, I think I did when I was like 6 or 7...one of those late night tv sessions (like how I saw the original Fly). Can't remember it though.

• Like 1

Those slating I Am Legend, READ THE BOOK, THE FILM IS A TRAVESTY!
  • Like 1

The Bad: Havoc doing that hula hoop motion to generate his power, that stock villain Tornado guy, Angel fighting, and many of the Mystique scenes.

So many terrible things in this but these would be my top 3: the rushed Dark Phoenix storyline, casual killing of Cyclops, Vinnie Jones Juggernaut (as dreadful as Eisenberg Luthor).

The one plus out of it all: Kelsey Grammer Beast. They got the look right while Grammer got the disposition right.

First Class is my favorite of the X-Men films, but that just means it's the one I have the least problems with. The Last Stand though...oh boy... :rfl: The killing of Cyclops is about the only thing I like about it. He was such a bitch in the movies I was glad to see him go.

As bad as that movie is, I still think the first Wolverine flick is worse.

First Class is my favorite of the X-Men films, but that just means it's the one I have the least problems with. The Last Stand though...oh boy... :rfl: The killing of Cyclops is about the only thing I like about it. He was such a bitch in the movies I was glad to see him go.

As bad as that movie is, I still think the first Wolverine flick is worse.

Oh man, the first Wolverine flick is by far the worst of all X-men related movies.

Now rethinking all of them, I'd grade like this:

X1: C+

X2: B+

X3: D-

X-First Class: C

X-Days of Future Past: B

X-Men Apocalypse: ((haven't seen it))

Wolverine "Origins": F

The Wolverine: D

Deadpool: ((haven't seen it))

Those slating I Am Legend, READ THE BOOK, THE FILM IS A TRAVESTY!

Yeah, I should do. And I'd guess reading the book would make me dislike the movie even more.

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTQ5OTE3MjMzNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzI5MTYxMQ@@._V1_UY268_CR5,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

:codger: A classic.