Rush on Radio

jmac

Hey Guys! I was listening to the radio the other day and they played Ghost of a Chance, and I was thinking, I never heard this song on the radio before, and that it could be the deepest cut from the boys I have heard on the radio. What are the Rush songs you guys have ever heard on the radio? I have heard

1. Tom Sawyer

2. Subdivisions

3. Limelight

4. Spirit of Radio

5. Freewill

6. Closer to the Heart

7. 2112 Overture, Temples of Syrinx

8. YYZ

9. Red Barchetta

10. Working Man

11. Fly By Night

12. Lakeside Park

13. Caravan

14. Far Cry

15. The Larger Bowl (once)

16. Presto (once)

17. Ghost of a chance (once)

18. Roll the bones (once)

19. The Trees

20. Distant Early Warning

21. Time Stand Still

22. The Body Electric (once)

23. The Big Money

24. Malignant Narccisism (once)

- Tom Sawyer

- Subdivisions

- Limelight

- Red Barchetta

- The Spirit of Radio

- YYZ (live)

- Freewill

- Working Man

- Distant Early Warning

- By-Tor and the Snowdog

- Entre Nous

- Manhattan Project

And I'm not kidding about the last 3. I was driving back from the Buffalo area in NY with my Dad, when I was flipping through the channels. I found a song that sounded awesome, but had no vocals, at least at that point. I'm listening, and listening. My Dad spoke up and said, "This is RUSH!" I said that it couldn't be. There's no way they would play a track that sounded like it was from their earlier albums. I came to the conclusion that it was Led Zeppelin. Then, the vocals kicked in with Geddy Lee. I said, "Oh...whoops" It was By-Tor and the Snowdog. I would have knew the song instantly by the vocals, but I haven't heard the entire song at that point in time, so when they were in the instrumental jam section, I wasn't sure if it was them or not. It actually sounded like it was from their first album, but the drumming was so complicated, and Neil Peart-esque, so I ruled it out as being Rush. I figured it was Keith Moon on the drums, so that led me to thinking it was Led Zeppelin.

After that song ended, Entre Nous came on. I was shocked that a radio station was playing gems that radio normally doesn't air. Then Manhattan Project came on. I was saying, "This is my radio station!" My Dad and I determined it was a radio station in Canada running a marathon of Rush songs. As we drove further away from Buffalo eastbound, we lost signal, so our theory about the station being Canada is a pretty safe bet. I wish we kept the signal. I was curious what else they would have played. smile.gif

Working Man

Spirit of Radio

Tom Sawyer (more than any other)

Limelight

Freewill

Subdivisions

Dreamline (a couple of times after RTB came out)

and... it seems like I probably heard these too, but I can't say for sure...

Time Stand Still

Force Ten

Stick it Out (probably probably)

Red Barchetta

Fly By Night

The Trees

maybe a few others.

Caravan and BU2B were played quite a bit after those songs were released on the local Rock station. Almost never hear them any more... almost always one of these:

Tom Sawyer

Working Man

Fly By Night

TSOR

Freewill

Limelight

Red Barchetta

2112: first 2 parts

Subdivisions

Dreamline

Many others that are more rare to hear.

I should note - all the songs I mentioned were heard on the radio back when Houston HAD A FKING ROCK STATION. We've got nothing but "The Buzz" now, which is probably exactly as "The Buzz" station you've likely got in your market - new pseudo-alternative with the occasional Metallica track thrown in to appease the rock fans. It's either The Buzz or it's one of the two classic rock stations, neither of which play any Rush other than The Big Three: Tom Sawyer, The Spirit of Radio and Working Man.

Here in Augusta, Ga., when it was Alex's b'day, the djay acknowledged this with a "deep cut". They played "New World Man". Not a bad song, but not exactly highlighting Alex's prowess, I could tell the dj didn't know much Rush. I thought about calling and getting them to play "La Villa", it is a masterpiece of music and Alex shines.

I've obviously heard all of the standards and some deep cuts on 'The Boneyard' station on Sirius radio.

Two songs that I will always remember hearing on commercial radio:

2112 in entirety (in 1996, driving back from New Orleans where I attended the Sugar Bowl. It was about 4 in the morning and I still had an hour drive to get home. I also had to make it into work on time at 8am. Being the wee hours of the morning, I was getting drowsy. When 2112 came on, I was instantly awakened, energized, and ready to go)

The Necromancer in entirety. This was on a local college radio station during the summer (1992 or 1993) when most students were home. I called up one night and requested it. Sure as heck, they played it.

XM ,Boneyard and Rewind plays Rush alot. Never know what will be on. The do play a few of the mainline song once in awhile a never hear on the radio will play.

XM plays a ton of Rush songs. Along with the hits I've heard:

2112 (entirety)

Red Sector A

Distant Early Warning

Nobody's Hero

The Big Money

Lakeside Park

Countdown (just heard it this morning)

Red Barchetta

By-Tor

and many more.

The commercial radio stations also play quite a few Rush songs, but they mostly stick to the standards.

My local radio station used to play Moving Pictures a lot, now they only play Tom Sawyer and Ghost of a Chance from time to time, as in, almost never. They had a bit of a boom when rush came to town, but they pretty well stuck to the same two songs.

Don't get much of a chance to hear rock radio, but recently I heard BU2B, The Pass and La Villa Strangiato in its entirety. I was in hog heaven when I heard the last one!

QUOTE (jmac @ Nov 3 2011, 08:25 AM)

1. Tom Sawyer
2. Subdivisions
3. Limelight
4. Spirit of Radio
5. Freewill
6. Closer to the Heart
7. 2112 Overture, Temples of Syrinx
8. YYZ
9. Red Barchetta
10. Working Man
11. Fly By Night
12. Lakeside Park
13. Caravan
14. Far Cry
15. The Larger Bowl (once)
16. Presto (once)
17. Ghost of a chance (once)
18. Roll the bones (once)
19. The Trees
20. Distant Early Warning
21. Time Stand Still
22. The Body Electric (once)
23. The Big Money
24. Malignant Narccisism (once)

Here in Phoenix we have KDKB 93.3 Fm ( Free Radio since 1971 )

They are great with RUSH !

They have played ALL these listed & more . . . . .

For a while about 7 yrs ago, our "Classic" rock Station quit playing RUSH, I found out cause I just randomly called the station to request RUSH & that's when they told me the New program director was saying there was NO catagory for Rush, hence NO place for them on KSLX, so I called a couple more times & the DJ's were very frustrated also ! Took about 1 year for them to start playing Rush again, but they only play a handful of classics.

But, KDKB, sometime's once an hour you hear RUSH ! ! yes.gif

bekloppt.gif

These are the Rush songs we hear here.

1. Tom Sawyer

2. Subdivisions

3. Limelight

4. Spirit of Radio

5. Freewill

6. Closer to the Heart

7. Red Barchetta

8. Working Man

9. Fly By Night

10. In the Mood

11. The Trees

12. Distant Early Warning

13. New World Man

14. Time Stand Still (twice)

15. The Big Money (once)

16. Superconductor (twice)

I believe Time Stand Still is the newest I've ever heard on the radio. And yes, some of us do listen to the radio - my old car doesn't have a CD player, and satellite radio costs an arm and a leg.