Tom Sawyer sampled in rap song

rushfr:CP

QUOTE (GUP1771 @ Nov 1 2011, 04:29 PM)
It never ceases to amaze me how talentless people are today. They can just sample classic songs created by talented artists, slap something on top, and call it a song with people raving it's great. The ignorance of people...

Welcome to modern music, glittering prizes have become such a priority that it gives the illusion of integrity to some while shattering the illusion of integrity for others.

Yeah.

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Nov 1 2011, 04:18 PM)
I find it funny that no one ever bitches at Rage Against The Machine. Yet they'll bitch about sampling in a rap song.

It's because there's this stigma against rap. It's not "respectable". eyesre4.gif

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Nov 1 2011, 07:25 PM)
QUOTE (D3strukt @ Nov 1 2011, 04:18 PM)
I find it funny that no one ever bitches at Rage Against The Machine. Yet they'll bitch about sampling in a rap song.

It's because there's this stigma against rap. It's not "respectable". eyesre4.gif

RATM is basically rap, with Sabbath-esque Bluesy riffing from Morello thrown in there.

There was this one 'group', some years back (can't remember who), used one song by the Police (Every Breath You Take) and they called it I'll Be Missing You, which was a line from the original song. Rapping over it. It was awful. Someone did the same with the Knight Rider theme - some sort of music with bits of the theme sampled all over it. 'Artists' did that a lot in the 80's, however.

Point is, it seems like todays' artists use an original song, make it their own, and then todays' kids think that this song is the original, without realizing that there was one before it.

I had that problem with Eric Clapton's I Shot The Sheriff, when I'd heard it around 1983. He'd covered it in the 70's, only I didn't know that at the time, and it wasn't for a few years later when I realized....

QUOTE (GUP1771 @ Nov 1 2011, 02:29 PM)
It never ceases to amaze me how talentless people are today. They can just sample classic songs created by talented artists, slap something on top, and call it a song with people raving it's great. The ignorance of people...

goodpost.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (Babycat @ Nov 2 2011, 02:40 PM)
There was this one 'group', some years back (can't remember who), used one song by the Police (Every Breath You Take) and they called it I'll Be Missing You, which was a line from the original song. Rapping over it. It was awful. Someone did the same with the Knight Rider theme - some sort of music with bits of the theme sampled all over it. 'Artists' did that a lot in the 80's, however.

Point is, it seems like todays' artists use an original song, make it their own, and then todays' kids think that this song is the original, without realizing that there was one before it.

I had that problem with Eric Clapton's I Shot The Sheriff, when I'd heard it around 1983. He'd covered it in the 70's, only I didn't know that at the time, and it wasn't for a few years later when I realized....

...that even Clapton couldn't improve upon the original.

http://www.harikari.com/images/2007/02/bob-marley.jpg

QUOTE (GUP1771 @ Nov 1 2011, 03:29 PM)

Posts like this are so ignorant and stupid. You go take a Rush song and try to rap over it and tell me it doesn't take any skill. It's hard enough to take a old dated Rush song and make it sound modern, and to write all those lyrics and make them flow, plus actually sounding good doing it. When he starts rapping it sounds awesome to me.

It actually does take skill to be a good rapper, which is why there's so many bad ones, just like rock music.

Why not complain about how about half of Neil's lyrics are lifted from other writers? The dude is one of the biggest ripoff artists ive ever seen. I cant name another lyricist that has 'lifted' as much as he has. Or complain about how they often use the standard verse/chorus/verse/chorus structure that they didnt invent?

This guy is an amateur rapper and did this for fun. Many of them actually do write beats and music believe it or not.

QUOTE (trenken @ Nov 2 2011, 09:39 AM)
Why not complain about how about half of Neil's lyrics are lifted from other writers? The dude is one of the biggest ripoff artists ive ever seen. I cant name another lyricist that has 'lifted' as much as he has.

You're going to need to provide some evidence of this. There's over 150 songs in the catalog, I challenge you to provide evidence that even 10% of them are lyrically ripped off because there's no way you're getting to "half" of what he's written.

QUOTE (trenken @ Nov 2 2011, 08:39 AM)

Posts like this are so ignorant and stupid. You go take a Rush song and try to rap over it and tell me it doesn't take any skill. It's hard enough to take a old dated Rush song and make it sound modern, and to write all those lyrics and make them flow, plus actually sounding good doing it. When he starts rapping it sounds awesome to me.

It actually does take skill to be a good rapper, which is why there's so many bad ones, just like rock music.

Why not complain about how about half of Neil's lyrics are lifted from other writers? The dude is one of the biggest ripoff artists ive ever seen. I cant name another lyricist that has 'lifted' as much as he has. Or complain about how they often use the standard verse/chorus/verse/chorus structure that they didnt invent?

This guy is an amateur rapper and did this for fun. Many of them actually do write beats and music believe it or not.

goodpost.gif

I like the section 1.30-1.50. that alone you could create another song with.

I always knew someone would sample Tom Sawyer!!! 1287.gif It's about time!

I think it is flattering to have a completely different genre giving props to another genre.

Lyrically it could have been better, but overall it wasn't as embarassing as the Lulu song I just heard from the Metallireeds...ow! (I think my ears are bleeding).

QUOTE (Can-Utility @ Nov 2 2011, 12:50 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Nov 2 2011, 08:39 AM)

goodpost.gif

While Neil may have lifted lyrics from other authors, he never completely COPIED a verse from Ayn Rand or whoever. Now that you mention that he isn't selling this, and he's doing it for fun, is a completely different story and makes it acceptable because he isn't doing it for profit.

I pretty much liked it. I liked how he wove the music, but I don't care for some of the hardcore lyrics. Then again, I'm not really sure what it's about. But the wife was noding her head, so there. Thought including Geddy's "What you say" at the end there was cool and funny. Or, is that funny but cool.

"Is what you say!" laugh.gif cool.gif

QUOTE (trenken @ Nov 2 2011, 10:39 AM)

I completely agree with your opinion. smile.gif Still, you are wrong in this point.

El-P is a real influential artist in the independent rap scene, especially when it comes to production.

It is not the first he shows his love for Progressive Rock. He also worked together with "The Mars Volta" in a track, for example.

He usually does not sample someone else that obviously, I see that more as a hommage. Following the text, it is a kind of remix anyway.

Edit:

http://soundcloud.com/productomart/drones-...klyn-uncensored

Yep, this is the original track. And dont tell me this is simple stuff. wink.gif

Edited by Watchful_Eye

QUOTE (Watchful_Eye @ Nov 5 2011, 09:47 AM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Nov 2 2011, 10:39 AM)

I completely agree with your opinion. smile.gif Still, you are wrong in this point.

El-P is a real influential artist in the independent rap scene, especially when it comes to production.

It is not the first he shows his love for Progressive Rock. He also worked together with "The Mars Volta" in a track, for example.

He usually does not sample someone else that obviously, I see that more as a hommage. Following the text, it is a kind of remix anyway.

Edit:

http://soundcloud.com/productomart/drones-...klyn-uncensored

Yep, this is the original track. And dont tell me this is simple stuff. wink.gif

It's like.. prog rap ohmy.gif