Red Hot Chili Peppers new album

Lerxster

I must admit I was underwhelmed with the RHCP's new single, The Adventures of Rain Dance Maggie, when I heard it a week or two ago. It seemed a let-down from Dani Cali, which I loved right away. But I pre-ordered the album, because I have bought every new RHCP release since I found BSSM when that was still new. Under The Bridge is what hooked me on the Peps.

I'm With You came in the mail Monday, and since I have been so busy at work, I have been listening to it a lot there, on my desk speakers. And I must say, there is a lot of interesting things going on, and some quality songwriting you would expect from this venerable quartet. The departure of John Frusciante was a huge blow. The magnum opus that was Stadium Arcadium, and all the Frusciante RHCP albums before it, would be hard to live up to. As the band was influenced by the force of Frusciante, it is too influenced by kid Klinghoffer. He's almost the anit-Frusciante, in a way. And that's not necessarily a bad thing, in the contenxt of the bands new album.

I keep forgetting to bring this album home to listen more properly. It's still in my computer at work. But I wanted to start this thread by saying.. I like the collection here, I'm getting good impressions for the most part, and I am looking forward to properly getting to know this album better.

The way Monarchy of Roses starts is remenicent of Warped, and I thought oh oh, as in, is this going to be a dark album too? But it wasn't- it isn't One Hot Minute dark, but there is some darkness. In Ethiopia, I swear I heard some Lifeson influence. I do like The Adventures of Rain Dance Maggie better now. Police Station and Even You Brutus? are real impressive. It's a different kind of Peppers album. More stripped down. I feel like I'm with you, Red Hot Chili Peppers. I wish I had it with me so I could talk about more, but I will, and I will. trink39.gif

• Like 1

The music is mature. Chads playing is great. Very sensitive to the music. I haven't dug a chilli album since MM. They have come a long way with their music. A tad mellow for them but it still rocks the cocks off your socks. Or the other way around.

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Sep 1 2011, 07:38 PM)
listened to it once......not impressed.....not that good.

I recommend you give it two more spins smile.gif

I didn't listen to it today, too much going on. But Goodbye Hurray kept creeping in. Real upbeat tune with a massive Flea solo, and pounding drums. There are uncredited female background vocalists on a couple songs. And at times, Anthony's vocals can seem instrumental, as they have on there last couple of albums.

It does sound a little hot. Loud. So that's a bit of a negative. I don't know why Rick Rubin allowed that.

QUOTE (Lerxster @ Sep 1 2011, 09:04 PM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Sep 1 2011, 07:38 PM)
listened to it once......not impressed.....not that good.

I recommend you give it two more spins smile.gif

I didn't listen to it today, too much going on. But Goodbye Hurray kept creeping in. Real upbeat tune with a massive Flea solo, and pounding drums. There are uncredited female background vocalists on a couple songs. And at times, Anthony's vocals can seem instrumental, as they have on there last couple of albums.

It does sound a little hot. Loud. So that's a bit of a negative. I don't know why Rick Rubin allowed that.

He allowed it on Death Magnetic BIG TIME. That thing is brick-walled to no end.

I just got the new RCHP record today on the strength of early listens to Brendan and Monarchy. Looking forward to the rest. Really LOVE the minimalist package. I just stared at the "gatefold" (sorry LP lovers...closest thing I could think of) with the name on one side and title on the other in small type face. Just something lovely about how simple it is.

Edited by Presto-digitation

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Sep 2 2011, 05:34 AM)
I can't listen to anything from the Chili Peppers since Blood Sugar Sex Magik.

Ack, that be crazeee talk snwdog, that's when it just begins wacko.gif tongue.gif I haven't had a chance to catch up with the new material yet.

Edited by Steevo

Listened to it only a few times but it's easily (no pun intended hence Californication) better than the inconsistent Stadium Arcadium. Really digging Look Around and Dance Dance Dance.

Speaking of Maggie, I went to Venice Boardwalk Saturday where the video was filmed. Spotted that bullseye guitar guy there in person.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Sep 5 2011, 07:46 AM)
New ______ = bad.

Old ______ = good.

Fill in the blank with a band of your choice because the argument is the same.  sarcasm.gif

Perhaps that true with bands who have not changed out group members. When members change out though i think the old vs. new has some merit.

I have a pretty long list of groups that i once liked a lot but now am i not that interested in these days. Did they change or did I? cool10.gif

edit- i guess my argument is based on the assumption that the energy and song writing remains relatively the same and is not affected by old age.

as i have said before: young dudes rock harder than old dudes.

Edited by tangy

QUOTE (Scars @ Sep 5 2011, 11:58 AM)
QUOTE (tangy @ Sep 5 2011, 11:36 AM)
as i have said before: young dudes rock harder than old dudes.

But it doesn't mean they rock better wink.gif

No but sometimes energy is superior to sophistication in music, at least for me.

Anyways back on topic, just listened to Did I Let You Know? Killer drumming. I also liked the horns.

Between working hard and just coming off camping, I still haven't listened to the album what I consider properly, but, I've listened to it a few more times.

Monarchy of Roses- good song. Propulsive almost disco vibe, but the heavy guitar reminds you who you're listening to. Factory of Faith- brings it. It's got that Peppers funk and swagger (and bass lines), but also electronica-ish. Interesting (in the good way) guitar work. All the parts are working on this song. Brendan's Death Song- i understand is dedicated to a club owner they knew that died recently (You know it's your jam/it's your goodbye). It has a slow acoustic build up, with some tension, and heartfelt singing. Ethiopia is understateably funky. I swear Klinghoffer throws in a few Lifeson chimes there starting at 2:02. Annie Wants a Baby- more reminicent of recent RHCP, like a link from Staduim Arcadium. Fairly good tune. Look Around- you know they're hopping around on stage during this one. Hooky chorus. Hey, more Lifeson chiming! smile.gif And a By The Way buildup. Good energy tune. The Adventures of Rain Dance Maggie- I really like more and more. It's understandably the lead single. Yes librarian, the bass is happening yes.gif Nice groovy song, with, ultimately for me, firing on all cylinders now.. due to repeated listens. Liking the George Harrison-ish guitar during the chorus. And, it's got cowbell baby. 1022.gif Did I Let You Know- has got a certain latin mood, with prominent female background singers. Nice guitar solo. It got sway. Goodbye Hooray- is in your face right away. Highest energy on the album. Gots ripping guitar, massive bass solo and pounding drums 1022.gif Happiness Loves Company- is a tight piano stomp of a song. Police Station is a lyrical, reflective past relationship song, with harmony and dynamics. Affectedly grand, in a positive way, and with an appropriate feedback finish. Even You Brutus? is also affectedly grand, or is that affectively. A vocal delivery with dramatics! Nice funky guitar accompaniment on the vocals. Got a hint of psychedelic. Well excecuted and mission accomplished. Meet Me At The Corner- is a low key relationship going wrong song. I don't know why I think of the Genesis song Man On The Corner when I see that title. Nice country bit at the end. Isn't that a good strength of the band test? If your band can't play country (or western), then you're probably not that good. But i digress. Dance Dance Dance is, you guessed it, a lively party good time tune. Not a thing heavy about it.

Well, I think the RHCP have survivied another Spinal Tap test of finding another new guitarist, as painlessly as possible, and providing a result of that that is something that is really good and fresh, and with a lot of bright spots. trink38.gif

I heard this album once and I thought it was nothing worth repeating.

Then I read the reviews about how mature this new album was.

I learned that the great Flea was studying Music Theory.

I decided to listen to the record again.

Then I listened to it again.

Then again.

I think the record is a masterpiece.

Could be "ALBUM OF THE YEAR!"

This is their best album since "Blood Sugar Sex Magik."

JMO

Chad and Flea equate to one of the best rhythm sections in the galaxy.

I love Chickenfoot too, but give me Flea and Chad over Chad and Anthony any day.

Chickenfoot II coming soon.....................

These are the tunes I like from Mothers Milk through I'm With You.

I omitted Give it Away because I've heard it enough times to last ten lifetimes it seems.

I have these on 5 discs...

Higher Ground

Subway to Venus

Magic Johnson

Knock Me Down

Stone Cold Bush

Johnny, Kick a Hole in the Sky

The Power of Equality

If You Have to Ask

Breaking the Girl

Funky Monks

Suck My Kiss