5 best Alex Lifeson songs

tangy

QUOTE (tangy @ Aug 28 2011, 10:34 AM)
http://ultimateclassicrock.com/best-alex-lifeson-rush-songs/

tongue.gif

this is one of the strangest lists i have ever seen. cool10.gif

I second that!

You'd think we'd see the usual La Villa, Limelight, Red Barchetta, Freewill, 2112, etc....

I love the fact that they picked so many off the wall songs, but The Seeker and Cold Fire? Really? And honorable mention to Alien Shore?

Of the 2 songs to mention off CP, those would be bottom of the list. Gimme Double Agent, Cut to the Chase, and Between Sun and Moon for my favorite Alex songs off CP!

If you guys look at the bottom they state that it's really just their opinion before asking the reader's opinion. You would think they haven't heard all the major Rush songs. Seriously, how did La Villa or YYZ NOT make it in there?

I have a metric ton of respect for that list because with the exception of WM, they picked songs that aren't the obvious go-to tracks. Is Cold Fire better than, say, Limelight? Probably not in most peoples' opinion, but it's a great track that doesn't get a lot of love on lists like this.

Honestly, do you really want to see another Top Five Rush Songs list made up of Tom Sawyer, Limelight, Spirit of Radio, Freewill and Closer to the Heart?

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Aug 28 2011, 09:24 PM)
I have a metric ton of respect for that list because with the exception of WM, they picked songs that aren't the obvious go-to tracks. Is Cold Fire better than, say, Limelight? Probably not in most peoples' opinion, but it's a great track that doesn't get a lot of love on lists like this.

Honestly, do you really want to see another Top Five Rush Songs list made up of Tom Sawyer, Limelight, Spirit of Radio, Freewill and Closer to the Heart?

goodpost.gif Exactly. The list is not meant as a real top 5 but as a, "Hey, these songs also have great guitar!" list. smilies-8579.png

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Aug 28 2011, 09:24 PM)

goodpost.gif The solos in Cold Fire and Working Man are 2 of my favorites.

But it still is odd that they chose The Seeker. Its the best track from Feedback imo, but they could have chosen an original.

QUOTE (tangy @ Aug 28 2011, 08:34 AM)

tongue.gif

this is one of the strangest lists i have ever seen. cool10.gif

what a great picture of Alex!

Yeah, this is an... interesting list. I can understand going for some lesser-known (by non-Rushians) songs but not having La Villa on there is just wrong, IMO.

The picture is from the MGM show in Vegas on the first leg of the tour. And, yeah, it's a great picture! wub.gif

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Aug 29 2011, 11:44 AM)
QUOTE (tangy @ Aug 28 2011, 08:34 AM)

tongue.gif 

this is one of the strangest lists i have ever seen.  cool10.gif

what a great picture of Alex!

Yeah, this is an... interesting list. I can understand going for some lesser-known (by non-Rushians) songs but not having La Villa on there is just wrong, IMO.

The picture is from the MGM show in Vegas on the first leg of the tour. And, yeah, it's a great picture! wub.gif

yes.gif

Didn't Alex write LVS? It is strange that it's not on there.

I would have a lot more respect for that list if it contain at least a couple of these songs...Xanadu, LVS, YYZ, Analog Kid, Time & Motion, or Hope.

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Aug 29 2011, 03:24 PM)
I would have a lot more respect for that list if it contain at least a couple of these songs...Xanadu, LVS, YYZ, Analog Kid, Time & Motion, or Hope.

yes.gif