Rush and the use of Taurus Bass Pedals

GUP1771

Okay, first question that has had me curious for awhile now is when did Rush stop using the Taurus bass pedals in new material (studio albums)? I definitely know it was sometime after Signals since Subdivisions features them, but I become unsure afterwards. I'm gonna take a guess and say before Power Windows because after listening through that album a lot, . So, Grace Under Pressure would be the last album, I'm assuming. What do you all think, or better yet, know?

Second question, I guess is a pathetic attempt to allow the thread to continue beyond the first question, which I think will be answered fairly quickly. Anyway, what are your thoughts of the Taurus pedals in Rush's music? Do you think they should return? Do they think they added or detracted from the songs?

I love them! When they come in say, in the chorus of The Analog Kid, it just makes me grin. I love 'em so much, I got a set of my own!

QUOTE (Mr. Krinkle @ Aug 14 2011, 10:22 AM)
Power Windows was the last album for the Taurus Pedals.
Unless they used them for some sections of HYF.

I think by the time they got to Presto they were using the midi bass/synth pedals.

Their last album they were used on was in fact Hold Your Fire. You can defintely hear the Taurus in Mission, as well as Time Stand Still believe it or not. Listen closely to the part with Aimee Mann singing, they are there. Also, live back from 87-94 when they played the song underneath the keyboard Alex played during that part, there was a set used by him just for this song. Otherwise, it was all the midi pedals from Presto onwards.

They did make a grand return on the Snakes and Arrows album!! smile.gif Even on Caravan they used them. You can hear them most during the "I can't stop thinking big" chorus. Also, if you listen closely they even snuck them into BU2B in a few parts.

EDIT: Also, to answer your other questions I am a huge fan of Taurus pedals and think they should have stayed put!!! They added a lot to their songs throughout the years in my opinion. One of the best uses of them? Check out Jacob's Ladder from Exit Stage Left!!! 1022.gif

Edited by bigman208

Taurus pedals are something truly awesome! The analogue filters have not been replicated as far as I know. The trick is to tune the oscillators slightly out of tune from each other...that's when they sound fat and huge!

Had the taurus II pedals and got rid of them immediately...not even close to the originals.

QUOTE (bigman208 @ Aug 14 2011, 09:39 AM)
The last album they were used on was in fact Hold Your Fire. You can defintely hear the Taurus in Mission, as well as Time Stand Still believe it or not.

I stand corrected.

Havent listened to HYF for awhile.

And, yes they did make a return with S&A, but I don't hear the classic Taurus sound like on earlier recordings.

I like their usage for The Trees.

QUOTE (bigman208 @ Aug 14 2011, 09:39 AM)
QUOTE (Mr. Krinkle @ Aug 14 2011, 10:22 AM)
Power Windows was the last album for the Taurus Pedals.
Unless they used them for some sections of HYF.

I think by the time they got to Presto they were using the midi bass/synth pedals.

Their last album they were used on was in fact Hold Your Fire. You can defintely hear the Taurus in Mission, as well as Time Stand Still believe it or not. Listen closely to the part with Aimee Mann singing, they are there. Also, live back from 87-94 when they played the song underneath the keyboard Alex played during that part, there was a set used by him just for this song. Otherwise, it was all the midi pedals from Presto onwards.

They did make a grand return on the Snakes and Arrows album!! smile.gif Even on Caravan they used them. You can hear them most during the "I can't stop thinking big" chorus. Also, if you listen closely they even snuck them into BU2B in a few parts.

EDIT: Also, to answer your other questions I am a huge fan of Taurus pedals and think they should have stayed put!!! They added a lot to their songs throughout the years in my opinion. One of the best uses of them? Check out Jacob's Ladder from Exit Stage Left!!! 1022.gif

Man, I'm surprised. I need to make a greater effort, and listen closer. Interesting facts to know that it came back on Snakes and Arrows.

Taurus pedals are great!!!

Loved to see use Tarus pedals.

I was checking some of the old tour books and Geddy mentions using them up to like RTB but he isn't consistent with his equipment lists so he prol'ly used them up to then and from what I've seen and others have said, he seems to have continued to use them on all or at least most records.

I used to get any magazine I could find with them in it and I seem to remember back in the late 80's either Geddy or Alex stating he had given up the Moogs for Korg pedals....That seemed to be around HYF or so....Seems more than likely they would have started using them again at some point, they were just so cool.

There are Taurus pedals BU2B and Caravan if I recall correctly. They also added 'Taurus pedals' (Rather, Korg pedals triggering Moog-ish sounds) into 'Far Cry' when they play it live - they may have been on the album also, but its difficult to tell.

QUOTE (Sir Lerxst @ Aug 14 2011, 02:04 PM)
There are Taurus pedals BU2B and Caravan if I recall correctly. They also added 'Taurus pedals' (Rather, Korg pedals triggering Moog-ish sounds) into 'Far Cry' when they play it live - they may have been on the album also, but its difficult to tell.

I think you are correct.

AFAIC, they can add them to every song! laugh.gif

I have got to plead ignorance here. I have seen Rush live and I have the videos and I see Geddy playing sounds with his feet, but what is the difference in the pedals and triggering sampled sounds with the pedals he or Alex are playing today?

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Aug 14 2011, 10:08 PM)
I have got to plead ignorance here. I have seen Rush live and I have the videos and I see Geddy playing sounds with his feet, but what is the difference in the pedals and triggering sampled sounds with the pedals he or Alex are playing today?

The Taurus pedals are bass pedals as opposed to simply triggers for other sounds.

But despite the synth's minimal functionality, the sound of the Taurus is legendary... thick and fat with pulsating detuned oscillators and, of course, that famous Moog sound. The actual Taurus preset is a classic - it has a moderately bright attack which decays to a deep, powerful and solid sustain.... it is just about the perfect bass sound for adding weight to a track.

http://www.hollowsun.com/vintage/taurus/

For example, as I mentioned earlier, the chorus section on The Analog Kid. When that Taurus comes in, if you have it loud enough, you can feel it in your bones. There are many other songs that have been mentioned above. But perhaps the best example outside of Rush's use is on Genesis' Dance On A Volcano on the live album, Seconds Out. Turn it up and, especially if you have a subwoofer, it will rattle your windows! laugh.gif

The Taurus sound was pretty obvious to me in Caravan during the chorus, although it wasn't as loud as it was in the older songs.

Live, they both use the korg mpk130 pedals, which are strictly midi. However, they still have the samplers from the taurus pedals, which show up quite a bit on the older songs. Usually its Alex who winds up playing them, such as the chorus on TSOR, or the synth solos in tom saywer and subdivisions.

I love the idea of playing thick sustained bass notes with your feet like how Rush used Taurus pedals. There's a whole different musical approach when you have those long bass note drones underneath versus linear and busy bass guitar lines.

That said, I wish more bands used them, but they don't have to be Taurus pedals proper. Nothing wrong with just triggering musical events with MIDI foot controllers. This is what I do with my FCB1010, but while I do have Hollowsun's Taurus multisamples, I also use it to trigger other sounds as well.

A bass player who plays Rush is half of what he could be without bass pedals and synths...

Thanks RFF! I also saw video of Genesis in the studio and Mike was lying on the floor next to the Taurus pedals and playing them with his hands. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Majestyk @ Aug 17 2011, 10:33 AM)
You can see (and hear) Lerxst playing Taurus samples on this clip of Far Cry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwxJz2AC528&t=1m27s

Is it just me or are Geddy's clothes too tight, in this clip? smile.gif

I say if you've got the figure for them (which he does), and you're not uncomfortable (which he doesn't seem to be, with all that bouncing around onstage) go for it! Geddycorns like me love it GeddyFinal.gif wub.gif

Geddy started using the Moog Taurus pedals later on in 1976.

He used them for Lakeside Park.

You can see that in the B&W footage from Passaic, NJ.

BUT, he was using the variable preset for high notes.

That kind of started the keyboard/synth era for Rush.

I think Lakeside Park sounds better without those high notes played.

If you listen to bootlegs from late 1976 you can hear Geddy using the pedals and it is apparent that he was still in the learning phase with them as he often hit many wrong notes. At first it is a juggling act.

Wasn't even using the "Taurus" sounds until Xanadu.

That's when Alex added a set to his side of the stage.

When they recorded Hemispheres, Geddy had a second set.