• Quizno's
    • Blimpies
    • Erbert and Gerbert's
    • Firehouse
    • Milio's
    • Jimmy John's
    • Jersey Mike's
    • other/local shop (please name)

So which of these is your favorite? I'm guessing there will be a lot of votes for others, so please name your favorite place (and your location) if it's one of these.

I think I got all the major national and regional chains, but there's a good chance I missed one or two so I apologize if I missed one of your favorites, and it's more regional or national. In addition, I might think some of the above are national or regional when in fact they're local to the Twin Cities area.

I've long thought that Quizno's had the best subs but having had Firehouse Subs on recent trips to the South, I've changed my mind and they get my vote.

Kinda hard to vote for a favorite anything in any of these polls unless you have had everything on the poll for comparison.

I haven't gone to that many sub-joint's to make an

educated guess on that..but I have gone to subway

a couple times, and their sub's are excellent.

I usually get the 5 buck sub with a drink, chips,

and 3 cookies, for about 8 or so bucks, so it's

a decent deal overall. trink36.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Edited by go2wrk@95974

Jimmy John's is pretty good, as is Firehouse.

Subway sucks, as does Blimpie. Too much white cottony bread. And though Subway brags about it being baked fresh daily, um, they're kind of not telling the whole truth. They get frozen pre-formed rolls and set those out to thaw and rise. So yeah, they are baked in-store, but it's not really "fresh homemade bread".

Edited by Mara

QUOTE (Khan @ Jul 23 2011, 02:21 PM)
Kinda hard to vote for a favorite anything in any of these polls unless you have had everything on the poll for comparison.

I've had 5 of the ones listed. These places are pretty much everywhere.

QUOTE (ouchithurts @ Jul 24 2011, 10:19 AM)
Gosh, I hate the term "subs."

It's a wedge.

or a hoagie, or a grinder. For todays purposes let's just stick with the word "subs"

That said, the best sub I ever had was a tuna hoagie in Radnor PA, when I went to college there...I think the place was called Campus Corner...so DAMN yummy that I remember it these many years later.

We go to Subway most of the time because my boyfriend likes it, and we collect the points. There's a local place called Jreck's that's pretty comparable. My fave, though, is Wegman's grocery store sub shop - their rolls are a bit chewy, but lots of meat new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Love their Italian combo.

Edit to add that the best place in town is called the Brooklyn Pickle; granted, I usually get a sandwich there instead of a sub (capicola on dark rye with TONS of meat), but I imagine their subs are superlative!

Edited by 1 of the 7

How would naming the local sub shop I go to be relevant to anyone?

Anyhow, the best subs are from, Gaetano's in Stratford CT.

http://www.gaetanosdeli.com/

http://www.gaetanosdeli.com/takes1.jpg

http://www.gaetanosdeli.com/deli10b.jpg

The best!!!

My favorites are local places:

Glorioso's Italian Grocery & deli on the "East Side" of Milwaukee, WI

Pot Belly Deli in Clemson, SC - went there a few times a week while in college.

Nino's Bakery and Deli in Germantown, WI

My favorite chain would be Cousin's or Quizno's. I never go to Subway, and will never go back, especially since "the incident."

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Jul 25 2011, 01:36 PM)

My favorite chain would be Cousin's or Quizno's. I never go to Subway, and will never go back, especially since "the incident."

Now you are obligated to tell us about "the incident" at Subway. yes.gif

QUOTE (Mara @ Jul 25 2011, 12:51 PM)
QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Jul 25 2011, 01:36 PM)

Now you are obligated to tell us about "the incident" at Subway. yes.gif

Let's just say I got a bad sub.... either a bad piece of meat, or something that wasn't really meat at all, just fat, got on my sandwich. People probably have sued restaurants for less, but back then, it wasn't even thought of. Subway was the only place around in college before Pot Belly Deli opened up in 1994 so I didn't go out for subs for a while... stuck to pizza and burgers mainly biggrin.gif

Whats a sub?

hahahaaaa.

First of all, its a hoagie, and while chains exist, the best ones in Philly are all the local shops that make them; although some of the good ones have franchised.

One example...

http://primohoagies.com/main/?page_id=30&P...4df64202a7be581

The key is....? The bread. Ive eaten hoagies ("subs") all over the US, and in many places, they can assemble the meats and cheeses and condiments right and make a fine sandwich.., but if the bread sucks it ruins the whole f-cking sandwich. Bread has to have some tooth, not be glorified Wonder bread....

smile.gif

Bone-Apah-tite!

Edited by lerxt1990

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-D8nHCLkVWeI/TfC-jxcrLOI/AAAAAAAAAG0/vemFeAhYTW8/s1600/AHoagie.JPG

Of course what you have is up to your taste, but it should have plenty of stuff and GOOD bread (on the bottom, f that wrap, were not talking about that!). That means its got some tooth, the crust has a little bite to it, sturdiness, and it doesnt collapse.