One band rush can't beat live these day's!1

reani14

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Jul 16 2011, 08:06 AM)
reani: we have this cool place to put threads like this called music of the spheres. you should check it out sometime.

tongue.gif

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (reani14 @ Jul 15 2011, 06:27 PM)
....................u2 rocked philly last night.................... nobody has more stage and money than these guys.. Blast away, but i dont think rush can outstage these billionaires.. I like rush better. but u2 holds the edge..

Outstage? Shouldn't concerts be about music?

I'd rather sit in the parking lot and listen to a worn out 8-track of Caress than go into the venue and sit front row center for those 3-chord Monties.

QUOTE (jacob's ladder @ Jul 16 2011, 09:57 PM)
I know everyone has their own opinion, but I hate U2. Their music is simple & boring, I hate Bono's voice & why the hell does he wear those stupid ass sunglasses all the time? confused13.gif

laugh.gif Man, that's petty (though funny). A Rush-hater could say the same thing about Geddy's glasses.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jul 16 2011, 09:16 AM)
QUOTE (jacob's ladder @ Jul 16 2011, 09:57 PM)
I know everyone has their own opinion, but I hate U2.  Their music is simple & boring, I hate Bono's voice & why the hell does he wear those stupid ass sunglasses all the time? confused13.gif

laugh.gif Man, that's petty (though funny). A Rush-hater could say the same thing about Geddy's glasses.

I was just thinking, I wonder what they say about Rush on the major U2 sites?

rofl3.gif

QUOTE (reani14 @ Jul 15 2011, 06:27 PM)
....................u2 rocked philly last night.................... nobody has more stage and money than these guys.. Blast away, but i dont think rush can outstage these billionaires.. I like rush better. but u2 holds the edge..

Lol, they arent billionaires. I think Bono's net worth is 300mil, which yeah, is significantly more than all 3 guys in rush combined multiplied by a lot, but they dont personally pay for their shows. Someone posted a site here a little while back with celebrity networth, the guys in Rush are at around 25mil.

U2 a far more popular band than Rush was even at their peak in '81, so of course they have the means to put on a BIGGER show. Id much rather see Rush though because U2 just does the standard issue radio pop rock song thing, Im not into that anymore. How much money Rush has or how much they put into their show doesnt matter to me. They could play in some dump on pots and pans and id still pay to see that over a U2 show.

I've been a huge fan of both bands since the early 80's. I was part of the "Glasgow choir" on Exit and I can be seen clearly in an early U2 video.

Both bands are great in their own way.

U2 doesn't have close to the musical chops of Rush, no question.

But U2 has a back catalog of iconic songs as great as anyone else's.

They may be "simple" and "boring" to pure musos, but one of my biggest complaints for example about Jeff Beck is that as brilliant a guitar player as he is, he can't write a hummable decent song for squat.

With the Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby U2 has 2 albums every bit as iconic as 2112 or Moving Pictures, again in different styles.

If writing great songs that appeal to mass audiences was that easy we'd all be doing it.

And while Edge's guitar playing may not be terribly complex in terms of the notes/chords he hits, his use of the available technology at the time created a sound that is instantly recognizable, again if it was that easy to do we'd all be doing it.

They don't ALWAYS tour with a big Production, the 1992 Zoo TV tour was their first, 12 years into their existence. And even as recently as their 2001 and 2005 tours their Productions weren't really anything more elaborate than what Rush brings. Less so in 2001.

As someone else said "it's not a contest"

Edited by toscanobarga

QUOTE (RUDT @ Jul 16 2011, 07:37 AM)
how ironic to see U2 spend millions of dollars on a big stage set when their leader want to save the world from injustice... confused13.gif

And not pay their taxes too.

They think they are excused from that sort of thing.

I like U2 from the first album through "Unforgettable Fire".

"Joshua Tree" is a good album. It starts to get sketchy afterwards. Couldn't care less about "Rattle and Hum".

"Achtung Baby" and "Zooropa" have some good songs on each, but that's where it ends for me. I don't care for anything after.

QUOTE (Mr. Krinkle @ Jul 16 2011, 10:27 AM)
QUOTE (RUDT @ Jul 16 2011, 07:37 AM)
how ironic to see U2 spend millions of dollars on a big stage set when their leader want to save the world from injustice... confused13.gif

And not pay their taxes too.

They think they are excused from that sort of thing.

Internet Fact - Bono doesn't pay taxes !!!!!

Actual Fact - They pay their taxes.

They have moved specific parts of their business to more tax-friendly countries.

There's a reason in the US for example that many companies, regardless where they ACTUALLY conduct business, are from a corporate point of view based in Delaware for example. I don't hear people claiming Steve Jobs isn't paying taxes.

If you or I could find a way to pay fewer taxes without breaking the law we would.

How can anyone say that Rush is better than U2? After all, U2 is in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Rush is not!

Ok...calm down......that was supposed to be a joke. Well, I mean really, how can a post start such as this without it degrading to a point-fingering flame war??

For the record, I love U2. Many of you do as well. Many of you don't. That's cool. Bono is one of my favorite lyricists (I consider him more "right" brain whereas Peart is definitely "left" brain), and, yes, they put on a helluva show.

I don't like seeing them these days 'cause stadium tours aren't my bag. Listen to whomever you want. Life is too short to fight.

Peace,

Clem

PS - Am now listening to Bob Dylan. Wonder how many Dylan HATERS there are on a Rush board?

Did you know that Bono is a business man dress as a singer, a preacher and a politician. It's too serious to be funny... ohmy.gif

QUOTE (King Whompus @ Jul 15 2011, 09:30 PM)

I'm certain that if Rush were to play in a giant dumpster, it would still be 1,000,000 times better than U2 musically.

^^ this!

If U2 came to town, as Rush did last year, I'd go see them. I don't know if I would fall for them like I have for Rush, because I haven't been to a show (they were here last in 1987, and I didn't go). I don't know that I'd go far out of town for them.

I kinda hope I wouldn't fall for them or anyone the way I have for Rush...I see my Rush hobby becoming almost all-consuming in the next few years, and I can't handle following any more bands tongue.gif

Edited by 1 of the 7

QUOTE (King Whompus @ Jul 16 2011, 05:01 PM)
QUOTE (clem @ Jul 16 2011, 10:53 AM)
How can anyone say that Rush is better than U2?  After all, U2 is in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Rush is not!

RRHoF doesn't mean sh*t

Hahaha I still can't believe people believe the RRHoF has any bearing on whether a band is "good" or not.

Let's just say if the RRHoF burned down tomorrow, ZERO would be the number of f***s I give.

Long live 2.gif