I'm Sick Of Dream Theater

Nate2112

QUOTE (Show Don't Tell @ Jul 13 2011, 03:42 PM)
QUOTE (fledgehog @ Jul 13 2011, 03:42 PM)
... Kevin, on the other hand, knew how to scale back and play tastefully, plus he was a fantastic lyricist. ...

I've never really heard a Kevin Moore keyboard part or solo in a DT song that I disliked (though Kevin's body of work with DT is obviously outweighed by Rudess' in terms of quantity). Jordan sometimes goes over the top with his stuff, albeit there's no denying he is a fantastic player.

P.S. Space-Dye Vest FTW

I prefer Jordan in Dream Theater, simply because he is a dedicated hard working member of the band who happens to be incredibly talented. Plus there arent nicer guys out there. Kev was a dick. He scaled back his playing and that was HIS style. No flash. Which is cool. Just polar opposite from my man JR.

PS The Answer Lies Within piano FTW

PPS So take that.

Edited by FallTempest

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jul 13 2011, 05:33 PM)
Space Dye Vest applaudit.gif >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>The Answer Lies Within schla03.gif

tongue.gif Yeah not sure who im kidding there. But come on.. SFAM and Octavarium!! JR Rules and so does KM's stuff with DT, CK. OSI was kinda lame haha couple good songs.

OSI was lame?

also, Six Degrees is easily the best JR-era album, but Images and Awake both kick it (as well as SFAM and the lackluster 8VM) to the moon and back

EDIT: not to say that it's entirely Rudess' fault, it's really the band's quality as a whole that took a nose-dive during the Rudess era.

Edited by fledgehog

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Jul 13 2011, 06:25 PM)
OSI was lame?
also, Six Degrees is easily the best JR-era album, but Images and Awake both kick it (as well as SFAM and the lackluster 8VM) to the moon and back

EDIT: not to say that it's entirely Rudess' fault, it's really the band's quality as a whole that took a nose-dive during the Rudess era.

Yeah not a big OSI fan. But OSI is very subjective, lots of people liked it to so.. confused13.gif I love I&W and Awake. Both more than 8v. However SFAM tops both of those albums to me. Its soo perfect. cool.gif Octavarium to me was kinda weird, I love the title track and Sacrificed Sons. The rest to me was just average, if that. Yeah its certainly not right to blame or give credit solely to JR for post KM and DS tunes. You know MP had a BIG say eh.gif And 6DOIT was incredible. Spot on there Fledge.

Awake is an incredibly dark album -- I feel like you almost have to be twisted yourself in order to "get it" and appreciate it. But even if it's not your kind of atmosphere, you can't deny that the writing and performing on it is Dream Theater at their peak (especially James' voice...he completely blows me away every time i hear Voices or Innocence Faded). I myself love it...I get a chill up my spine just thinking about how emotionally heavy everything on the album is. While some may be more of an I&W or SFAM type, I'm an Awake type, and it's a perfect album to me.

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Jul 13 2011, 08:49 PM)
Awake is an incredibly dark album -- I feel like you almost have to be twisted yourself in order to "get it" and appreciate it. But even if it's not your kind of atmosphere, you can't deny that the writing and performing on it is Dream Theater at their peak (especially James' voice...he completely blows me away every time i hear Voices or Innocence Faded). I myself love it...I get a chill up my spine just thinking about how emotionally heavy everything on the album is. While some may be more of an I&W or SFAM type, I'm an Awake type, and it's a perfect album to me.

Cant argue with that new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Jul 10 2011, 05:28 PM)
QUOTE (Nate2112 @ Jul 10 2011, 07:26 PM)
QUOTE (fledgehog @ Jul 10 2011, 06:17 PM)
facepalm.gif

not sure what's worse, the fact that you didn't realize that there are plenty of DT haters everywhere, or the fact that you think the two tolerable albums are ToT and 8VM

What do you think are the best albums

Awake, Falling Into Infinity and Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence. Train of Thought is far and away the worst album and Octavarium has its moments but it's not really classic material.

Train of Thought the worst? I thought it was a good, consistent album. I'd put Black Clouds and Silver Linings at the worst by far, followed by Systematic Chaos.

I'd say the best albums are all the ones that came out from Images and Words through Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence. They were really on a roll for a while there.

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Jul 13 2011, 02:42 PM)
Rudess is a more technically proficient player than Kev, but he's a bit of a show-off...not to mention that his synth lead patches generally sound horrible, he spends too much time with stupid "modern-sounding" bebot crap and not enough time playing good old-fashioned piano and organ sounds, and he's responsible for pretty much every "circus" moment in DT or LTE music. Kevin, on the other hand, knew how to scale back and play tastefully, plus he was a fantastic lyricist. really, though, they're two completely different musicians with completely different styles, who shouldn't be compared to each other.

I agree...Rudess' sounds are a bit confusing! It's hard to follow what he's doing because half the time you don't know WHAT he's doing!

At least with something like the Rudess-Morganstein Project you could pretty much decipher who was doing what...but with DT, you can't figure it it's him, Petrucci, or even Myung doing something crazy on Stick?!?!

I thought the band played a LOT looser when Sherinian was in the band...some the the output from those days was pretty crazy, not to mention the "unplugged" shows!

QUOTE (Jaminbenb @ Jul 14 2011, 11:00 AM)
QUOTE (fledgehog @ Jul 13 2011, 02:42 PM)
Rudess is a more technically proficient player than Kev, but he's a bit of a show-off...not to mention that his synth lead patches generally sound horrible, he spends too much time with stupid "modern-sounding" bebot crap and not enough time playing good old-fashioned piano and organ sounds, and he's responsible for pretty much every "circus" moment in DT or LTE music.  Kevin, on the other hand, knew how to scale back and play tastefully, plus he was a fantastic lyricist.  really, though, they're two completely different musicians with completely different styles, who shouldn't be compared to each other.

I agree...Rudess' sounds are a bit confusing! It's hard to follow what he's doing because half the time you don't know WHAT he's doing!

At least with something like the Rudess-Morganstein Project you could pretty much decipher who was doing what...but with DT, you can't figure it it's him, Petrucci, or even Myung doing something crazy on Stick?!?!

I thought the band played a LOT looser when Sherinian was in the band...some the the output from those days was pretty crazy, not to mention the "unplugged" shows!

Just gotta listen closer. music.gif Its hard sometimes...

LaAnnoying's voice just kills them for me but back in the day, I couldn't get enough of:

Under a Glass Moon

Take the Time

Metropolis

Caught in a Web

Lie

Panic Attack

I'm pretty much over them, but I'll have an occaisional relapse and blast one of the above tunes in my car.

smile.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jul 13 2011, 12:45 PM)
K.M. is a prick . He wants nothing to do with D.T. or the guys in the band, portnoy has said this a bunch of times. I met him once and he was not a nice guy . I have read many a time he won't sign anything D.T. related . Kind of lame because it's his only claim to fame, OSI ? Try agian

http://i703.photobucket.com/albums/ww36/Rushhead666/IMG_0935.jpg

When I met the guys back in 1992 or 1993 they were nice enough to sign this poster that I have framed in my office. It was before their show at The Stone in San Francisco.

Too bad Kevin turned out to be such a dick. It must be a trend in the Dream Theater family.

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Jul 13 2011, 06:49 PM)

The drum intro alone on "6:00" is mindblowing. "Awake" is my personal favorite DT album of all time! It's a dark masterpiece.

For me DT started going downhill after the "Scenes" album.

QUOTE (priest_of_syrinx @ Jul 13 2011, 07:34 PM)
facepalm.gif

not sure what's worse, the fact that you didn't realize that there are plenty of DT haters everywhere, or the fact that you think the two tolerable albums are ToT and 8VM

Awake, Falling Into Infinity and Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence. Train of Thought is far and away the worst album and Octavarium has its moments but it's not really classic material.

Train of Thought the worst? I thought it was a good, consistent album. I'd put Black Clouds and Silver Linings at the worst by far, followed by Systematic Chaos.

I'd say the best albums are all the ones that came out from Images and Words through Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence. They were really on a roll for a while there.

I've never been able to get into "Six Degrees." I really can't tell you why. Maybe because I saw that tour at The Warfield and they covered "By-Tor."

I was excited for about two minutes and then realized how horrific it was.

My buddy and I left the show early after that.

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Jul 15 2011, 06:03 AM)
Overrated and immature band.

*IMO you mean. Immature? Help us out here. I have a hunch that maybe you haven't got your facts straight. And overrated where?? Not on TRF thats for sure. I think they get as much or perhaps not enough recognition IMO.

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jul 14 2011, 08:40 PM)
facepalm.gif

I've never been able to get into "Six Degrees." I really can't tell you why. Maybe because I saw that tour at The Warfield and they covered "By-Tor."

Yeah I don't like "Six Degrees" either, I give it a try once in a while but end up switching it off well before the end.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 15 2011, 12:24 PM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jul 14 2011, 08:40 PM)
facepalm.gif

Yeah I don't like "Six Degrees" either, I give it a try once in a while but end up switching it off well before the end.

Gotta skip The Great Debate! And maybe Misunderstood if you have to. The rest of it's gold, as far as I'm concerned. smile.gif

QUOTE (priest_of_syrinx @ Jul 15 2011, 05:32 PM)
Gotta skip The Great Debate! And maybe Misunderstood if you have to.

?????????????

I can take or leave the whole political themed lyrics thing, but musically The Great Debate is probably the best part of Disc 1. it has some of Mike's most inspired drumming, and everything about the instrumental parts just fits. As for Misunderstood, it's great musically AND lyrically. Very dark, but really good nonetheless. I'd choose it if i HAD to pick a song to drop, but ideally I'd keep everything on both discs for that album.

QUOTE (GernTheFish @ Jul 15 2011, 01:55 PM)
There obviously very talented, but I've never cared for their music much. Is it just me or do they seem a bit pretentious?

No they can really play their instruments.